need advice

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: need advice
Apprentice
Member # 5451
Profile #0
hi

which is you alls favorite of the 3 main avernum games...

haven't finished avernum yet but was thinking of getting one of the others because quests seem easier to keep track of in the other demos....which do you guys think is the best one/

Tom
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Avernum 2. It has the best plot and the little things like the quest log missing from A1.

—Alorael, who really thinks you'd be better off downloading all three and trying them. A3 definitely has its worshippers even though its damage calculation leaves something to be desired.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
I like Avernum 2 as well. They each have things that make them great. I enjoyed playing all three. A3 was pretty good as well, but I liked playing in the realm of Avernum. A1 was lacking the newer features of 2 and 3, but still is very worth playing.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
In retrospect, I think A2 was the best, but I liked A3 the most at the time.

Lessee... do we have an old one of these threads lying around that I can link to?

No, I can't find one. Was it really so long ago that it got deleted in the last prune? Strange.

Anyway, usually the line goes, if you want to start from the beginning and enjoy the story as it develops, start with A1. If you want to play the one with the best plot and some nice added features, play A2. And if you want the one that is the largest (by far) and has the most stuff in it, at a small sacrifice to the overarching plot, play A3.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I will say that A2 is less fun if you haven't played A1. Even going through A1's demo gives you enough of a feeling for Avernum to appreciate things like Cotra.

—Alorael, who also likes seeing what happens to the various people of Avernum. Meeting Tor in A2 is more meaningful when you remember him from A1, and the New Cotra of A3 means more when you remember the other Cotras and their inhabitants.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #5
playing avernum from beginning to end is definately the most satisfying solution. if you only want to spend money for 1 more at the time, maybe a3 is the best choice, because its much, much bigger than the other avernums. its plot is not as good as the one of a2 and it doesnt have that cave-feeling, but its fun enough to produce some maniacs out there no doubt.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #6
Lacking a quest list, A1 was slightly confusing, but it wasn't that bad either.

A2 probably has the best plot of the trilogy, although abusing spells became necessary since melee attacks just don't cut it later on, in large battles with a singleton.

A3's damage is broken :D Who cares about it not havnig the best plot when you can hit for obscene damage? Teehee.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #7
I hated A2. You know how much that tower stunk with Cheeseball doin' his business in the corner. The Vahnatai barriers and the invading Empire didn't help much either. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Best plot: A2. It all flowed together quite nicely, and the weapons were never made obscenely powerful (nor were they downgraded... *cough* Jade halberd *cough*).

Biggest: A3. Takes a while to finish... though it does have a bit more replay value than A2, and the branching missions can be nice.

I think they're both great. I think I enjoyed A2 more, though... particularly since A3 doesn't let you do anything else after winning.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #9
A2, same reasons as those listed above. Playing the entire trilogy is satisfying, though, and they all have cool little things. The first one has a very well done subplot with a small town called "For Remote," among many other things. I enjoyed the division of chapter in A2. A3 is the longest, and perhaps if all you want is to explore and kill stuff that's the one to try out (specially if you only want to play one), but I think that it is more emotional if you've played A1 and A2, since in A3 you get to see the surface, and after two whole games inside the caves fighting for that chance you miss something if you just start with A3.

On the other hand, since it's not a bad idea to start with the first game in a series, you could got with A1, and if you like it, continue with the rest.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #10
I have the registered versions of A1 and A2, and the demo of A3.
I hated A3; the damage just made melee way too overpowering.
A2 definitely had the best story plot of the trilogy, and the Vanhatai (sp, I know...) graphics owned. The chapter thing was nice; it let you feel like you were really making progress.
But I honestly think I enjoyed A1 the best (but A2 was a _very_ close second)... Killing Pyrog, defeating Grah-Hoth... Good times. And when the special event (you know which one!) happened at Fort Remote, it was a complete change to my thinking. (It also inspired me to finish the Grah-Hoth quest as quickly as humanly possible.)
I don't think A2 would have been the same for me without having player A1 first. (Actually, I had played and beaten E2 before I played A1... It made for a very interesting retroactive experience!)
Granted, A1 did lack the quest log. But hey, I normally write things down when I play anyway.

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #11
Honestly, A1 lacked a function for the right click, and if you press both at the same time, you run like you're on crack.

So:

Easiest outdoors experience: A1
Best plot: A2
Best combat: A3

I vote A2 though. (i have the whole trilogy, and it's the only game I haven't beaten yet >.<, I was close though, before I got a new computer and lost the data that is.)