Racism in Avernum.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Racism in Avernum.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #25
Whoops, my mistake, thanks Kelandon. I only corrected Syntyrael because he REALLY messed up the spelling, check out his first post.

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #26
It dosn't matter how it's spelled. Spelling has nothing to do with the point.

--------------------
Never regret anything, because it was meant to happen.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
Yes, but mis-spelling it makes you look foolish. We had a discussion of this in a recent topic somewhere... oh, I don't care enough to find it. Suffice it to say that you should at least try to come close to the proper spelling.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #28
well, I guess the slith nephil stuff is worth a thought.....

thinking...

Thinking...

thinking still...

okay, here's what I think. You can really not play all the quests until at least 1 of your players are from other races except human, like the "find iron for Hunter nephils" & stuff.
so Jeff must have kept THAT in mind while fashioning the game.

However, the game is not really racist, its the people who are in the game that are prejudiced against the heroes. Generally, the prejudices are against Avernites (And sometimes against the respective genus), still, its all part of a greater process. I mean, do you people mind recalling the A1 & A2...

They were a struggle for freedom, & this is no exception. We must see that the whole thing on racism does not exist when the struggle has a common goal. So fellow players, keep this in mind when you further comment on so-called "racism", I mean, why does people have to think in such a manner :confused:

From where I hail, there are more than 55 different races living together. Sure, we have our differences, Yet, we never put racism before ourselves. This topic, I can conclude, can only come from a highly snobbish & narrow mind who cannot see anything but petty cases.

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #29
cases?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
Do any of those 55 races have scales, or fur, or protruding tusks, or hairless, gray, ovaloid heads? No, I didn't think so.

—Alorael, who is actually surprised that more surface people don't completely lose it when accosted by a humanoid lizard. It would make Avernum 3 hard to play with a slith PC, but the Empire seems to be more open-minded than accused.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #31
I don't see how a race can afford to be racist against giant humanoids. The giants should be the ones ruling the world, in my opinion.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
They are somewhere between rocks and trees in intelligence. The only thing they have going for them is size.

—Alorael, who would like to compare the intellects of goblins, ogres, and giants. Which are the smartest? Which are the stupidest? Which one will eat the other two?
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #33
Goblins at least can have a low cunning I suppose, but ogres and giants have shamans.

All of them deserve to wiped off the face of the planet :P

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #34
The humans should take a leaf out of the vahnatai book and create a genetically mutated monster to destroy all thoase stupid anooying goblins who aren't even worthy of killing.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Without Issue or Error:

—Alorael, who is actually surprised that more surface people don't completely lose it when accosted by a humanoid lizard. It would make Avernum 3 hard to play with a slith PC, but the Empire seems to be more open-minded than accused.

In Avernum III in Kriszan Province, Some of the wandering Guards say "Woa, a giant lizard creature, kill it!" and then you battle. this happens along the roads to the west adn the east of Kriszan.

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #36
Yeah, but a few soldiers is nothing compared to the beating you should be getting. Why would the xenophobic empire allow a giant lizard to go anywhere near the great cities. Frankly, if it was realistic, youd get attacked at or locked out of every city, village and hut.

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #37
It might be an accepted part of the story that the slith PCs are given very baggy robes with thick hoods. The green skin could be attributed to magic gone wrong -- Avernum 3 parties are usually brimming with mysticism anyway.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #38
Swear to god that I had a post here sayin that the French are pretty much good for nothing.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
The Empire doesn't have a history of dealing well with mysticism or, I would guess, mutants. And if you were living in Valorim among evil necromancers, liches, vampires, demons, and whatnot, would you be happy to see completely concealed humanoids wandering through town with a bunch of "Worms" who just may have a terrible grudge against the entire surface?

—Alorael, who was disappointed to see the Empire transformed from the wholly controlling and authoritarian force with complete control of all magic cited in A1 and, to some extent, in A2 to the relatively impersonally oppressive power it is in A3. Sure, Valorim is the rough frontier, but it's still not the Empire everyone ranted about.
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #40
you may have a point there. Personally, I love a couple of nephils & a large hairy slith (whom I call 'saru' meaning rotten) to mere humans. :D

Quote : "Do any of those 55 races have scales, or fur, or protruding tusks, or hairless, gray, ovaloid heads?"

Ans: well, some of the finer species posesses them quite often, though they may be acquired (from a fur shop or dentist's)... as far as ovaloid heads go, well......that may be inherent.

:D

[ Sunday, January 23, 2005 08:47: Message edited by: mistica ]

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #41
Hey, we french aren't useless. Granted, I'm a U.S. citizen who simply inherited french blood, but hey, lay off the Frenchy/Canadian jokes, they get old REALLY fast. As far as racism in Avernum goes, people will always have something to hate. If it isnt racism it's sexism. If it isn't that they start up with the religions. If it isnt that they divide the religion into 50 sects and fight over that. And failing that they kill each other because they aren't in the same family. Trust me, I've studied enough history and psychology to know......bias is ALWAYS prevalant ESPECIALLY in a medieval setting :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #42
sorry if this is late but that reminds me of a good canadian joke.

Why do Canadians like to do it doggy style??

So they can both watch the hockey game. hahahaha :D

[ Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:42: Message edited by: Syntyrael ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
I think I finally have adequate cause to lock this topic.

DIE.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages