Doomguard - arrgh!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Doomguard - arrgh!
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #0
I can't seem to dish out enough HP to seriously stop him before he multiplies beyond control. My party's all mid-20s Level, with quite good weapons and bow skills. My mage stands back and Hastes and War Blesses, my priest is a good pole fighter (Radiant Slith Spear) so he alternately wallops and Heals Party and I have two reasonable archers, one of whom has an Alien Waveblade for up close and personal.

Am I missing an essential item or is their a foolproof tactic, please?

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #1
my tactic is always to attack the doomguard with the least hp.
otherwise, they will multiply before anyone of them dies.

KILL FIRST - MULTIPLY THEN

;)

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #2
Cool, thanks. I've been going for the healthy guys, rather than wiping out the weaklings, but your tactic makes loads of sense.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
If your priest is better at melee fighting than your archers, only he should attack. If your archers are better, only they should attack. Only your very best fighters should be dealing any damage at all, and only while heavily blessed. The rest should stand back to haste and bless the one important character or just act as meat shields for your casters. Since every hit means you have another doomguard to worry about, make sure every hit comes from the best source of damage you have.

—Alorael, who highly advises against using archery unless your archers do much more damage than melee fighters. The key is absolutely maximizing damage so you minimize the number of clones who are clawing at you.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #4
So, rather than scattering fire and producing more of the little buggers, the slith priest, with his Radiant Spear should just stand and chop away, while the mage blesses and the other two only pick off the very weakest, who will go down with one shot? Otherwise they should just what - Defend?

I'll try it. (I left the Concealed Tunnel, in the hope of finding more useful gear, e.g., Demonslayer, or some more EXP and when I got back, the whole thing had reset! Grrr!)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #5
Since you have the Radiant Slith Spear and are using "War Blessing" I can only assume that you're fighting an A3 Doomguard. Here's what I did to defeat them with my Party:

1. War Bless and Haste whomever has the Radiant Slith Spear. Back everyone else off.

2. Have the RSS weilder attack the initial Doomguard.

3. Attack the Doomguard with the smallest bar/least HP until you snuff it. Your allies should only attack IF there's a Doomguard clone with a sliver of life that they're guaranteed to kill. Otherwise they should just be standing around, offering moral support, buffing, and healing for Mr. RSS.

4. Repeat step 3 until all the clones are dead. GG Doomguard.

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #6
amen.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #7
Maybe some would think it cheap or cheating, but using a summoned Ur-Basilisk worked nicely.

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #8
Oooooooh, good strategy. Never thought to do that. That should make things a LOT easier.
Thanks a bunch

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #9
The way I always found was to kill the original doomguard, leave, and come back... No more doomguard, yay!

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #10
Thanks, everyone. I did try the summoned Ur-Basilisk, but it only successfully froze one clone and acted as a meat shield for a couple of chomps.
The Slith Spear did for the Doomguard eventually, helped out by the Alien Blade and some precision archery.

Soloing the Slith Spear-wielder then got me out of the ensuing Giant-Troglo mayhem - just!

Spent yesterday looting Troglo Castle. Off to Lorelei, now. Byeeee!

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #11
Yeah- Don't create multiple copies of the Doom Guard- Just stone the Doom Guard Initial

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Apprentice
Member # 4836
Profile #12
Personally, I never found the doomguard to be that much of a pain. My guys were already in the mid-30's and I had Radiant Shield level 3 as well as the mithril sword and a bunch of boots of speed. I just hasted/shielded my guys, gave my 2 fighters invulnerable potions, went after the weakest doomguards with my spellcasters and took out the stronger ones with my fighters. I took hits but they weren't too bad and I just healed. I have yet to understand what the big deal about these guys are. Dark wryms are much tougher than doomguards.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #13
the ur-basilisk-thingy is a great idea. why didnt i come to think of that??
if leaving really works, maybe it should be tried out. though i dont think that working your way all the way out of the dungeon and back again doesnt pay off just for a couple of doomguards.
i also think that they arent that much of a problem. i think theyre fun.
dark wyrms, however, are a different story.

--------------------