How much dosh?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How much dosh?
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #0
I've got about 12 grand, currently, and am still carting stuff out of the Troglo Altar cave to sell in Southport.

How much money is it necessary to acquire? I know some levels of knowledge, e.g. Magery, are really costly, but are they essential to getting through Avernum 3?

It's a bit time-consuming, being a scrap-metal dealer, but if it's essential, I'll press on. :D

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
You'll probably need LOTS more! Despite the fact that the gold cap is set at 15,000, you shuld try to reach it at least twice in order to get everything. Hawkes Manse costs aout 7,000 alone!

--Random Fact Number 14 - "The gold cap sucks. Why did Jeff decide to cut it down from the 30,000 limit in Exile 3 and BoA? That's games designers for you..."

[ Monday, October 11, 2004 02:54: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #2
actually, hawkes manse costs 8k.
you dont actually need anything to win the game.
but if you want to expierence as much as possible without cheating, you will need much, much more.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #3
Use the editor as a bank. When you get 15k, go to the editor and set your gold down to 0 and build back up to 15k. Just make sure you keep a recored of how many 15k's yoou have in the bank.

It was an idea I picked up from someone on the boards
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I'm sure I'm not the only one to use an editor bank, but I'm the loudest proponent of it.

I'd say the biggest expense I ran into was spells. Buying all mage and priest spells for two characters, and sometimes two levels of them, gets very, very expensive. A party with fewer casters is cheaper, since you can find equipment better than you can buy almost from the very beginning. The fewer characters you have, the less you have to spend on them.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there are many expenses that are absolutely essential to anything, or even necessary to opening up more areas. But if you're a compulsive spender and buy lots and lots of Blademaster from the drake, for example, you'd better be rolling in cash.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #5
Instead of spending the excess cash, I know a needy soul...(insert noted cough)... who needs a little bit of cash. :( ;)

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #6
Sorry, guys, I don't quite follow.
If you set the Gold in Editor to zero, what happens to the actual Gold you've already earned/stolen?
Or do you simply open the Editor and boost your balance occasionally?

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Yes, that's the idea. When you need the gold back, you put it back in and cross one off your tally of increments acquired.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #8
"if you lose your gold in the editor, you lose it in the game."
"but i thought the editor wasnt real?"
"your characters make it real."

(which film? can ya guess? :D )

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
For example, whenever you have more than 10,000 gold, use the editor to reduce your wealth by 10,000 and put a mark on a handy sticky note, notepad file, or other memo, physical or electronic. When you're strapped for cash again, use the editor to give yourself that money and cross off the mark. You're not cheating, you're just avoiding the need to save loot in large piles for when you need money.

—Alorael, who also likes to see how much total wealth he can amass. It's quite satisfying to see row upon row of tallies representing large amounts of money.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00