The Community Is Criminally Ignorant: A Study

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Community Is Criminally Ignorant: A Study
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #50
I think a fair moderator is one who first warns the user of his misbehaviour, then if the user carries on he should be banned.

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #51
Well, it is only a one-week ban. This serves as his warning, I think. He was pretty obviously pretty far out of line and told so by a number of people.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #52
That was interesting. My first witnessing of a banning in action. Thoroughly enlightening.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
Marcelo- This guy was given multiple warnings by BK before. Like, more than one. And then he goes around telling people to kiss his ass, screw themselves, etc., and he begins to spew out blatantly racist comments.

Let's hope he doesn't come back.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #54
A warning is not always required for major or multiple offenses. He has committed both. I didn't actually say "this is your warning", but I did tell him to cut it out. At any rate, I based my decision on the fact that his misbehavior was so widespread. This topic is only an example. Read the locked evolution topic for some really disturbing stuff.

I concluded that his only real goal on these boards was to harass and provoke argument. We do not need these types on this board.

The ban is a minimum of one week. Afterward, he is valid for reinstatement if he requests for it. This is, by no means, guaranteed and depends on the will of the board administrators.

[ Saturday, November 06, 2004 22:21: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #55
I saw people insulting him as well and nothing happened to them. I am not questioning mods' decisions or power, it's just that I was following the conversation and he was first insulted by someone who said "up yours", then Ravaged of course replied to that. I also saw people giving him, in fact, warnings, but warnings of not to mess with the oldies or mods. It's ok to respect the oldies, but oldies should also be respectful. Shouldn't they?
Whatever, I just wanted to give my opinion. Thanks.

--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #56
They should be. Some of them even are.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #57
He definitely wasn't banned on the basis of this thread. But the 'Evolution' thread on General is a different story ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #58
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

He definitely wasn't banned on the basis of this thread. But the 'Evolution' thread on General is a different story ...
i recently read the conversation, and while he did go out of line several times with the evolution thread, he seemed to be only reacting to Roger trying to bash on his ideas. (as well as various others)

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #59
Just because you're provoked doesn't make it okay to be mean and nasty.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3241
Profile #60
well let's not start arguing here anymore, talk about this topic, or close it...
He is now banned and nothing can be done about it, if he comes back... Well then we look his behaviour after this "warning".

--------------------
Visit the www.monkkonen.net and if you like, be the member of the forums.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #61
Eh-
quote:
I also saw people giving him, in fact, warnings, but warnings of not to mess with the oldies or mods.
Yeah but I wasn't the only one that said anything and the others were a lot more serious than mine. And also from more "powerful" people.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Captain Obvious:
i recently read the conversation, and while he did go out of line several times with the evolution thread, he seemed to be only reacting to Roger trying to bash on his ideas. (as well as various others)
Oh, come on. Read the thread again and look at how it started. On the Evolution thread, he said that people should not interbreed at all so as to preserve and enhance genetic uniqueness. I said (politely) that argument could just as easily argue in favor of incest as argue against racial intermixing. His response was this:
quote:
While I realize that you are trying to offend me (or if not trying, you're words were amazingly stupid to the degree that it does, in fact amaze me. Not to offend you or call you're words stupid, merely that if you were not trying to offend me, then you must have the brain of a monkey.)
He was not in the least bit provoked when he said this. Read my post and then read his response again. Then Alec posted a fairly reasonable counter-argument to his points, and he threw in a small jab at the end, referring to RavagedSoul's post as "racist babbling." RS's response was, again, way over the line.

He broke the CoC with vulgarity in language and communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, at the very least. He was temporarily banned. This seems perfectly reasonable to me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #63
I think the reason some people see it as unfair is that, though he certainly broke the rules, many oldbies do so as well, on a regular basis. There is a very definite lack of consistency. You could put forward a decent argument that this is a good thing, but it's certainly there and I can understand that throwing people a bit.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #64
Couldn't have put it any better, Creator.
Anyway, I went to the "Evolution" forum and there is indeed evidence of bad behaviour.
Let's hope this works out fine.
Live it up!

--------------------
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #65
Oldbies are allowed to bend and break the rules because they know why there are there and when not to break them.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #66
Creator, this ain't the time to be arguing this case. (Hell, sometimes oldbies are treated worse than newbies- Djur got banned for quoting a definition.) Oldbies get more slack- well, no duh. But I was banned once as well (although only for a week, where anyone else would be banned). It's not like punishment never happens.

That aside, this is the first instance of blatant racism combined with flaming that I have ever seen. This is an anomaly in its repulsiveness.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #67
As well as knowing when not to break rules, other posts besides the evil ones tend to appear. This was not really the case here. Well he did have a thread in the editor forum but that was about it....

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #68
Can somebody please explain to me how the fact that someone got banned or the reasons for the same have any bearing on Blades of Avernum or the state of ignorance, or lack thereof, of the community?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #69
Because the person who got banned posted on this thread, and those posts were part of the reason that he was banned.

I'm not sure if that question was ignorant or rhetorical.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #70
Rehtorical. =) I'm just suggesting, indirectly, that there might be a better place for that topic, as this dicsussion is straying from it's original one.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #71
I think this thread demonstrates effectively why threads that lead to a member being banned are normally locked upon banning. While this thread was only tangentially involved in the ban, it was implicated enough that it has become corrupted.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #72
There's another possible observation from what happened here: when members are banned and the threads locked, it's like saying "now, we used the power, the thing is closed and shut up!". Whereas here there's been an opportunity to point things out, express opinions on the matter, which I like.

--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #73
quote:
Originally written by Roger Fickmann:

Creator, this ain't the time to be arguing this case. (Hell, sometimes oldbies are treated worse than newbies- Djur got banned for quoting a definition.) Oldbies get more slack- well, no duh. But I was banned once as well (although only for a week, where anyone else would be banned). It's not like punishment never happens.

That aside, this is the first instance of blatant racism combined with flaming that I have ever seen. This is an anomaly in its repulsiveness.

Not arguing the case at all. I was pointing out that there is a disparity between the treatment of newbies and oldbies, and that this was probably the reason why some of the intelligent newbies were questioning the legitimacy of the banning. You'll notice that I said that it would be thoroughly possible and reasonable for someone to defend this 'policy' (for lack of a better word), which Alec subsequently did. So unless I misread your post, we aren't actually disagreeing on anything.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #74
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

we aren't actually disagreeing on anything.

Does not compute.

--------------------

Pages