How did you guys get your scenario ideas?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How did you guys get your scenario ideas?
Warrior
Member # 4886
Profile #0
Is it a process that you can describe? Or does ideas just pop into your head?

My problem with coming up with scenario ideas right now is this: I can get a basic general idea of what the story is going to be about, (as in, I know how it starts, what the theme is, and how it is going to end) but I have problems figuring out what to put into the middle of the scenario to make the story more interesting. (I have scenario ideas right now, but they are all just skeletons and are all far too short, I need to add in more substance) Could someone help?
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #1
ok, same problem as i have often enough. just keep on reading, playing and looking at the world you live in, there are so much stories out there, which only whant to get caught for your scenario!
and never forget to take a pen and paper with you, so you can write down your ideas right in that moment that they come to your mind.
oh, how often did i have good ideas and no pen!

[ Tuesday, August 24, 2004 12:42: Message edited by: bigblue ]

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #2
Hmmm, heres some suggestions. Start thinking up goals for the party, minor goals that would lead up to the their final goal (the end). Think of substories and how they would tie in with the main theme (you don't have to use them if they don't fit, just experiment in your head). If you have a cool idea for a town, dungeon or whatever try and work that in as well (again if it just doesn't fit don't force it in).

Try thinking a main cast of NPC's, the heroes, villians and other people who play a part in a story, try to think up how what their personality is, how they will act towards the Heroes etc.

I haven't made a scenerio yet, but have plenty of ideas, those are just a few pointers from how I formed the stories in my head.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
What's happening? Making events that the party takes part in does two things: One, it engrosses the party. Two, it gives your scenario healthy length without filler. If you can't think of any events in your scenario, then you're being lazy. So what if your plot is walking into the dungeon and rescuing the princess? You still have to return her, don't you? That can allow for some exciting ambushes. Maybe the warlock/witch keeping her attacks the castle with monsters to get her back. A scenario that does nothing will always fail- see Za-Khazi Run for a prime example.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4886
Profile #4
Sorry, but I'm having trouble interpreting what you are trying to say. Allow me to show you what I mean:

quote:
What's happening?
What are you refering to?

quote:
Making events that the party takes part in does two things: One, it engrosses the party. Two, it gives your scenario healthy length without filler.
Yes I know.

quote:
If you can't think of any events in your scenario, then you're being lazy.
So what's your advice on how to stop being "lazy"?

quote:
So what if your plot is walking into the dungeon and rescuing the princess? You still have to return her, don't you? That can allow for some exciting ambushes. Maybe the warlock/witch keeping her attacks the castle with monsters to get her back.
That's an example, not any kind of actual advice.

quote:
A scenario that does nothing will always fail- see Za-Khazi Run for a prime example.

Yes, I know, this is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Well, I read through the thing and did not find any trace of an actual advice. Did I miss something? Please clearify.
Warrior
Member # 3339
Profile #5
If you need space fillers like side quests and ideas for dungeons.....

Play though Avernum 1, 2, and 3 at least two more times before you go back to your scenario design. It should give you a basic idea of what flows and what doesn't, not to mention it will show you numerous possibilities.

--------------------
Returning again after being away for a very long time.

“Define Reality”
BANNED
Member # 3688
Profile #6
You could try asking yourself "but?" and "why?". You're sent to take out a pesky Warlock - but it turns out he's actually trying to stop a demon invasion, and the town people don't realize that. Or but, another group is trying to get to him first for there own reasons, and will try to stop you at every chance of the way. Some twist that makes the game more interesting and less generic, don't force it though. If you can think of a nice twist within the context of your scenario it will make the scenario both longer and more interesting.

Why - why is the Warlock a problem? Has he been killing villagers? Why is he killing the villagers? Why has no one else taken him out yet? Is the Empire secretly protecting him because they want to benefit from his research? Start asking yourself questions and a backstory will start to appear (this was borrowed from Drakfyre's page - go look at it if you need advice).

You could also ask other questions. How? How does the party get to the Warlocks island? Do they take a ship? Maybe they go to take a ship there, but the ship line has been closed down because of kobold attacks. Why are the Kobolds attacking though? Maybe they see that the Warlock is keeping off human advancement that will eventually kill them all off.

Look at almost any real world story, and it's never as simple as "some guy was bothering us so we hired some guy to make him stop then everything went back to normal". There are always more sides to a coin and more complications that might be there at first glance, look into those.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
My advice is to focus on characters. Compile a list of the major character roles you'll need in the scenario (the party's superiors, the major villains, and any other major NPCs), and create personalities and histories to fit each role. Think about each character's goals and motives. As the party is doing its thing, all the other characters will be doing their own thing as well; some to assist the party, some to oppose it, and some simply to further their own goals without regard to the effect on the party's mission. Given their personalities and abilities, what will each of these characters do and how?

How will they react to the party's actions, and how will they react to each other's actions? Might some be able to form alliances toward a common goal? Might others, supposedly working for the same side, compete against each other anyway? What will other characters think of these interactions if and when they know about them?

For example, given what you've established about the antagonist's personality, if his two lieutenants both want to take personal credit for stopping the party, will he demote one of them to prevent him sabotaging the other's plans or simply let them compete in the hope that they'll spur each other on to greater efforts?

Or just make a short scenario. It's not the end of the world if you end up making a scenario with only 5 indoor sections, and you're more likely to get it finished.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
http://www.sitemouse.com/users/drakefyre/boa.html#art2

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #9
Coming up with ideas is easy. All you have to do is stare at the screen until little beads of blood appear on your forehead.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
So THAT's how you got the idea for that dream sequence in Revenge! :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
I've gotten my ideas for Blades scenarios based on gaps or holes in the Avernum or Exile plotline. I have an old list around here somewhere... here we go. I made this around the time I made NK0P, and I think it's still good. An excerpt:

The band of the eye. In Avernum 3, the symbol of the eye appears twice. Both times the people associated with it try to kill you. The first time is getting the mithril for the man in the Inn of Blades. The people who attack you when you pick up the mithril have eyes tattooed on their wrists. The second time is far to the north, just east of Blackcrag Fortress, beyond the lands of the Temple of the Divine Lucre, by the mandrake roots. These people have eye insignias on their armor. They guard the mandrake. Is there a connection? If so, who are these people, and why do they try to kill you? What do they have to do with mithril and mandrake? A definite possibility for a scenario here. For background, see the quest from the Inn of Blades to recover mithril, and the lands in the far north owned by the Temple of the Divine Lucre (east of Blackcrag Fortress), both in Avernum 3.

From these general ideas (there's some sort of group that has the "eye" as its insignia), I start asking questions. What are they doing? Why?

For individual monster dungeons, I like to ask what the creatures are doing in there. (There's an article that talks about this in detail, but I can't find it now.) The point is that the creatures live in the places that you design, which means that they eat there, sleep there, and do whatever else they do during the day or night or whatever their waking hours happen to be. They were doing something right before the party entered, and they did something yesterday, too: what were those things?

For humanoid NPCs, there are even more questions to ask. What is this person's favorite food? What was its most life-changing experience? What kind of clothing does it wear? (If it doesn't wear clothing, what does its skin/scales/whatever look like?) Who are its friends? Does it have a husband/wife/mate of some kind? Who are its parents? Does it have any diseases/disabilities/injuries/anything special?

You can't over-think a scenario. You probably shouldn't tell all of that information to the player, but it doesn't hurt to know it yourself. Your beta testers should tell you if any part doesn't make sense because you forgot to explain context. But I think questions of some kind are key.

And TM was giving fairly decent advice, which can be summarized thusly: add complications. If you have a beginning and ending, think about what preceded that and what follows it. Think about the villain's response, which may not be what the hero expects. Think about difficulties. Think about dishonesties, mistakes, errors in judgment, misinformation.

And I hate to say it, but you can almost build a scenario in the manner alluded to in Nine Variations on Point B and no one will be able to tell, as long as you cover it pretty well.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
I'd always assumed that they were the Thieves' Guild - you see them by Bremerton too guarding Skribbane, I think.

I get scenario ideas by thinking about characters. I sketch out what I want the party to be and who I want them to meet, and by fleshing out the characters I can develop something much stronger and it basically writes itself.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
(Now, of course, I could point out the value of scenarios as metaphors. But I suppose I'd probably receive a host of comments about NTH along the lines of "the plot hurts it," so I'll spare everyone the sure-fire recipe for a plot nobody will like.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #14
Take the scariest dream you can remember and flesh it out. Note that it doesn't have to be exactly scary, but it can be really distubing and haunt you a lot. This makes for very disturbing plot lines(depending on what you consider scary. imagine-puppies! puppies everywhere! and kittens! and all of them are hot pink!!!!!!! *faints*).

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by The Hexamethonium Man:

So THAT's how you got the idea for that dream sequence in Revenge! :P
*dies laughing*

I really should have seen that coming. But I didn't.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom