Bug list and suggestions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Bug list and suggestions
Apprentice
Member # 4921
Profile #25
Just remembered a further small nitpick. When you try to cast mage or priest spells out of combat, it automatically selects the first character (number-wise) with any magical ability... it'd be nice if instead it automatically picked the one with the highest skill and/or most spell energy remaining.

--------------------
Hyouko, as in icy lake.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #26
No it doesn't. When you go into shop mode, selection is brought to the first available character, and abilities are always assumed to be for the first character, but those aren't bugs.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 2209
Profile #27
i found spray acid pretty usefull at low-levels.

not so much at higher levels, but i dont find many of the lower-level spells usefull at levels 40-50

i frequently used it to kill monsters that i wasnt ready to handle, by hasting my party, running around(works best inside a fort or something where you can get them to chase you around the walls(like the alien beast in the school of magery) and casting spray acid on the last action point of every move.

not something i did frequently, but was an occaisional life-saver
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #28
I'd like some help with this one. get_char_status() and set_char_status() seem to have a problem with blessing (status 1 in the docs) and shielding (status 2 in the docs). For reference:

void set_char_status(short which_char_or_group,short which_status,short how_much,short
is_forced,short give_update)
- Changes status which_status for character/group
which_char_or_group by amount how_much. If is_forced is 1, the status is always changed by
the full amount. If is_forced is 0 then, for negative statuses, the character’s resistances
apply.
If the status is forced, no update will be given. Otherwise, an update will be given if give_update is 1.

short get_char_status(short which_char,short which_status) - Returns the current value of
status which_status for character which_char.

If is_forced = 1, then status 1 will affect shielding and status 2 will affect blessing (which it is not supposed to do). Otherwise, it will act according to the docs.

But get_char_status() always uses the flipped values, so getting status 1 would return the shielding level, etc...

I think this is what is happening, but the different variations to try are numerous. Can anyone deny, confirm, or modify my previous statements?

[ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 19:00: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #29
*Bump* and I found a new problem and made a suggestion.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #30
I'm not sure if this is actually a bug or not, but... you can basically waste an opponent's AP for them. If you're standing next to an enemy and then move away from them, they'll get a free attack at you, except it's not really free because it still costs them 4 AP. This can be exploited to stop mage enemies from casting spells for example (even if unintentionally).

[ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 15:47: Message edited by: Gorvin ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #31
So THAT'S why bless and shielding were switched...! Yeah, I'm quite sure that the status-swapping error is real. (I made a post about it on tech support.) Thanks for identifying the true problem.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #32
Thank you for spotting another possible (it might be intentional) problem/idiosyncracy of BoA. I have confirmed your observations to be true, and have updated the original post accordingly.

The following statement isn't really a bug; it is officially documented. You can't call INIT_STATE from another state, and going to another state in the same script from INIT_STATE is usually a bad idea because you can never go back to the place from which you left off in the INIT_STATE, which is why when you need to do this, put the state in the scenario script.

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #33
Just have a call in the START_STATE to do that for you. Or better yet, have the INIT_STATE call a town state, such as 10 or 20. That way, you can call the effect of that state without having to reproduce it.

It's not something I'm very concerned about.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #34
That's kind of the point. Let's say you have some code in state 20 that you might want activated upon entrance to the town. Same situation for state 25, but when INIT_STATE calls a set_state_continue(20), the INIT_STATE will exit and state 25 will never be called. I believe the same general idea applies for START_STATE.

Oh, and I also found a new bug.

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
The obvious workaround is to duplicate the code you need in INIT_STATE itself. Ugly, but effective.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #36
I understand that Avernumscript can't have all the features of C, but WHY NOT LABELS???

Many things can be simulated with just a little more code, but the lack of a label command is very, very annoying.

Does anybody consider the newly discovered bug with the Special species important?

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
Lack of assassination resistance can be worked around by giving it more HP and lack of petrification resistance can be worked around by giving it 100% magic resistance. Of course, sometimes you might want a monster to be immune to petrification but not to magic, but it's rare that you're in a position to petrify your enemies anyway. I consider it a minor bug.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #38
Assassination can add large amounts of damage, though. If you were to compensate for it, you might have to add hundreds of points of health. But the immunity to lethal blow works, right?

As for resistance to petrification, to me that seems important for a Special species. If it is so special, then why can it be stoned out of action in a single gaze? That reminds me, can stone types be petrified?

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #39
I added an strange behavior of the game concerning splitting monsters and health.

If no one offers to help me with a test scenario for these bugs, I'll just send them as a list like this.

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #40
If we have a little time on this one, I will try to make a utility scenario to demonstrate most of these. It shouldn't take too much time. But don't expect it done before next weekend.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #41
I expect it to be done posthaste.

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
Fine. Fine! Sometime within the next couple of days. But that's my final offer.

Or, alternatively, you could make the scenario, and I could test it and make sure everything works -- er, doesn't work -- in the right manner.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #43
*I laugh hysterically.*

I can do most of the work; I have the time and I know exactly how all of these bugs come to be. You won't need to do too much, though I definitely will need someone to help test my scenario since, like I have said before, I don't have the game at the moment. I'm waiting for their yearly November Sadness Sale :) .

I am hoping to do it in the style of the Tutorial, and I will post up the order in which I want the bugs to be demonstrated. I'll E-mail you with the scenario and any other things that are important.

EDIT: Don't really do anything until I can come up with a good plan. I am hoping to create a theatrical masterpiece out of this.

[ Sunday, September 19, 2004 18:41: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #44
Both this and the sugestion topic have been sent to Spiderweb.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #45
Um, but sarcastic scenarios always earn credibility and urgency points, right?

EDIT: Has the latest one about splitting creature also been sent?

[ Monday, September 20, 2004 03:25: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3857
Profile #46
Trouble with move_to_new_town:

When you enter a town using move_to_new_town, the game FIRST executes the initialization code for the town entered and THEN places the party at the specific location within the town. That is, your party will spend an instant in the new town but at their original coordinates.

So if your town takes 1 or 2 seconds to initialize the 'jump' is perfectly noticeable; even if it isn't, part of the town map gets revealed. It is a very ugly effect and there is no easy workaround -- other than using an intermediate town.

Maybe this can be fixed easily, I don't know...

[ Saturday, September 25, 2004 20:07: Message edited by: void* ]
Apprentice
Member # 1107
Profile #47
I have a suggestion with the automap.

On the automap the trees are not prominently shown. (The grass is shown in a far better contrast than the trees.) It becomes very difficult to navigate through large forests.

It would be very useful if the trees were shown in a better contrast on the automap.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by ranon:

I have a suggestion with the automap.

On the automap the trees are not prominently shown. (The grass is shown in a far better contrast than the trees.) It becomes very difficult to navigate through large forests.

It would be very useful if the trees were shown in a better contrast on the automap.

This is a graphics problems. Just create new/darker 16x16 icons. That is what I did.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #49
As I understand it, when that call is used, the party is moved to the new town and AUTOMATICALLY starts in the correct position. Terrain in the wrong areas won't be drawn nor revealed.

The INIT_STATE is called after all this. In fact, the drawing of the terrain is absolutely the last thing to do when the new town is entered.

But I think I may have found an odd new problem. From what I can determine, sometimes the last definitions of custom objects in your scenario objects script are ignored when you modify original objects. This can be solved by adding a last begindefine[object_type] [xxx];

[ Tuesday, September 28, 2004 18:21: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====

Pages