Early Beta Test: Edge of Cipirus

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Early Beta Test: Edge of Cipirus
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #25
Sorry to ignore, but I've had some weird things happening around here in the past few days. I haven't even worked on it since I last said I would. I should start getting chances tomorrow. This definitly didn't go as planned. But does anything ever?

Also your OS doesn't matter. I've got working ports for both. Luckily my friend Paul has a Mac that I could test on.

Oh and it's definitly Cipirus. It's not a real word (that I'm aware of), and means something rather unexpected. But that's story area, so I won't go into that.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #26
(Actually, my beta test went as planned.

Maybe in the future, you shouldn't put out a beta call until your scenario is finished.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #27
That would be why it was called a BETA TEST. Have those words lost meaning? I guess so.

Like I said before, it was only to get people's impressions on some techniques I used.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
In general, you still shouldn't announce a beta test until your scenario is actually ready for beta. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 4844
Profile #29
i already emailed you put ill post for the sake of knowing how many ppl or if u dont check email or sumthin
Name: Bacon
E-mail: Mysn3xs
Reason: i need a new low level scenario
Idiot/Lamer:Not that i know of

--------------------
Does bacon exist in your future?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Bacons Destiny:

E-mail: Mysn3xs
What the hell sort of email is that?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
Apparently it's @yahoo.com

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4777
Profile #32
Hey, Its thursday, Thought U said it would be in beta testin tuesday :P
Warrior
Member # 4566
Profile #33
Probably too late,but....

Name:samurai56

email:adham4444@msn.com

reason:I really don't have anything to do,so I play video games 5-6 out of 7 days a week.(don't say anything about that.)

--------------------
samurai56:the video game guide you don't have to buy!
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #34
Name : Guardian of Eternity
E-mail: guardian_of_eternity@hotmail.com
Reason: If you promise a real plot, I'm there.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #35
Keep the short scenarios coming. I would like to get the Edge of Cipirus soon. There should be another short coming soon by Erik Westra the guy who did the Blades of Avernum Editor Cookbook.

Anyways here goes

Name: ButteredToast
Email: wehireu@yahoo.com
Reason: Because I like to poke beasties with my old fashioned slith pitchfork. Medieval pitchforks had two tines. :cool:

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #36
Ok I've done my best to send it to everyone. I might have forgotten one person but oh well. Just PM me or e-mail me back (I guess) to let me know what you think.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Apprentice
Member # 4777
Profile #37
Demonslayer, Can you resend the email. Somehow I never got it...

Emasterdave@aol.com
PhantomOrb@yahoo.com

Send it to both please... That way ill make sure I get it

[ Friday, August 13, 2004 08:26: Message edited by: FrozenSteel ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #38
I never got it either.

Kira_Maku@hotmail.com

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #39
I didn't get it either. I'll give you a new email to send to if thats the problem:

jesse@timecod.com

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #40
I didn't receive it yet, too:
die-minor@gmx.de

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #41
You're kidding me.

***-***** Nortan Anti-Virus! ***-**** YOU!

Ok it's quite apparent my e-mail will not work. Here's the new plan: I'll just upload it to some web site and you people the link.

So how bout that idea? Or should I just go ahead and finish it all the way and just release it for real?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #42
^ Up to you, but third-party perspective is the reason people do public beta, but it depends how important it is to you, to catch every little bug.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #43
Yea I know, but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to get that done. I'll just get my brother to find the bugs, he has nothing better to do. So this is canceled, I'll just release it when it's done. Should be soon, but I said that before, too. So... believe what you want.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #44
*chuckle*

Alright, the suspense alone is increasing the potential quality of the scenario.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #45
The role of a beta-tester is far more than just catching bugs (good testers, anyway). You should have picked up most of those yourself. The great benefit of testing is to see what things worked and what didn't in an artistic sense as much as a technical one. What combat is unnecessary and annoying? What storyline points are unclear? What 'surprises' weren't?

From my experience, it's a good idea to get a few testers you really respect than a whole heap you don't know. Is there a particular designer you admire? Maybe ask him to give it a run through. Or perhaps someone who's impressed you with their general intelligence and opinions on the boards. You can always ask those who didn't apply - they'll probably be flattered, and if not, the worst they can do is say no. Personally, I would not select anyone who lacks either the inclination or the ability to spell properly.

Once you've selected your testers (I would suggest only about three), I think it would be a very good idea to send them a long list of questions along with the scenario. I've done this and had very, very good results. Other times, I just gave them the scenario and sometimes got good feedback, usually poor and unsubstantial feedback, and never as good as when my testers knew what sort of critiques I wanted from them.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #46
Well it turned out ok because apparently no one got it, anyway. Imban is the only one who's e-mail isn't still in my outbox, so as far as I know he's the only to get it. And I respect Imban so that's fine with me.

On that thought, I don't think I'll try to do this again (beta test). Next time I'll just build and release. While playing through it, I've found literally ONE bug, and that was a typo, which has already been fixed. Also my brother has yet to find anything on his fifth trip through. I also find my ideas to be working as nearly planned. Although I think I need more custom graphics. Maybe I'll put somemore in before I release.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #47
Nope, I didn't get it. Sorry.
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #48
Just a few things to try and see if you could get the email working.

First of all did you zip the file up, instead of just attaching it. Email doesn't like taking attachments that aren't a txt file, a picture, or compressed.

Second if I'm reading it right, your saying the norton antivirus is causing you problems. Did you try disabling it, emailing it out, and the reabling. That should fix most any problem antivirus software would cause.

Third, and this in unlikely, but I'm guessing you tried to send it out to all you betatesters at the same time. This could possably trigger some anti spam measure or exceed some limition in the bandwith or something of your email account. You might try sending it out one email at a time.

These are just suggestions and aren't guarnteeded to work.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #49
It would be alright if you posted it to a website to download. Wouldn't mind at all. It would not be an official submission which is fine by me. Might give you a chance to get some feedback before you submit it to Spiderweb. It would also end the back and forth about email problems.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Pages