Which Spells and abilities do you want included?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which Spells and abilities do you want included?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #0
Hear ye, hear ye! Since Jeff has started the 'Brain broken, watch for finger'(not real name) thread, there has been much debate over spells and skills. So, to help settle this, since time is passing, I'm creating this poll. The question of useless spells is not directly related, but it is useful in case more spells need to be taken out.

P.S. The Poison/Curse, Anti-magic cloud and dispel spells have been okayed by Jeff, as has the Marksman ability. Other ideas were offered, but the included ones were the only ones that seemed to have any sort of significant support.

[ Saturday, November 30, 2002 16:07: Message edited by: modnaR ]
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I still think a wound-like spell would be nice. There are only so many times you can bless and haste your fighters before it becomes redundant.

—Alorael, who would just as soon not have any instant-death skill. A high-level party would have far too easy a time with that sort of thing.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #2
Although lifedrain sounds nice, if the mages are getting beat up, they will probably die quicker than they can heal themselves. And if they won't die immediately, it probably means they are safe enough that they don't need the life.

Mindduel, I think, was one of the most underused spells in E3. I love the concept of it, although it never seemed to find itself in a situation where it could be used.

Stealth is definitely a skill I used countless times. The Great Walls come to mind, and other situations found me using it as well.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 1826
Profile #3
Thanks for getting this up by the way, much better than I would have done ;)
Ah, I went for the Ravage and Anti-magic spells. I liked Minduel in E2 a lot, used it all the time (the Rakshasa were my magic pool). But I do have to admit I used it much, much less when I lost 15sp at the start of every duel in E3. On second thought.... Dispel would be useful for anything hording Potions of Invulnerability.... still, my vote is cast.
I also didn't like the thought of an instant-death ability.... I mean, max that out and you're set- alternate scenario, all designers make their monsters immune to that ability and the skill becomes useless. Either way, it doesn't sound good. I did like Marksman and Hunter especially well though.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #5
Excellent. Glad to see that this is getting some responses. I don't much like instant-kill either, but it had gotten a bit of support and was never really shot down on the previous thread (which seems to be what is happening now).

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #6
Martial arts could be made interesting if effects were added.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Apprentice
Member # 1752
Profile #7
I'd like mindduel if it could be made stronger. It takes too long to disable a foe with mindduel.

First, It would need to work on Rakshasa. I hate them, you hate them, whack them with a smoky crystal and your friend mindduel.

ANd it needs to kill in one or two turns. Minddueling a foe 30 times is redundant and a bit annoying.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #8
True enough, particularly about the '30 turns' thing. Of course, if mindduel doesn't get put in (which it looks like it won't-Jeff hasn't approved it, and it's trailing in the polls), that won't matter very much.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #9
Maybe if Martial Arts caused less damage, but only took one action point each hit.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #10
Just to warn you all, Jeff didn't seem to think much of martial arts. He said he'd consider it, if I recall correctly (in the brain blocked thread) but he didn't seem particularly enthusiastic. His main concern was that it would set monks apart as a seperate 'class', which isn't something he wants to do. So I think, if he does accept it, the most we can hope for is a stronger, and maybe a little faster unarmed attack.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2146
Profile #11
How about an attack like the Mad Monks'?

--------------------
_..._..___..._.._..._.
\\.//../ _ \.| || |.| |
.\V/..||_||.| \| |.|_|
.|_|..\___/.\___|.[_]
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #12
The mad monks attack in just the same way as everything else, albeit quite a bit quicker

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
It's not quicker - they just have more AP.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #14
I would have thought that means that the attcks are actually quicker. 1 turn presumably represents a period of time, and the number of AP a charcter or monster has would denote how speedy they are (hence - boots of speed). Therefore, the reason the monks can attack lots is because they are generally fast, including their attacks. I don't think thats what you were on about anyway. In any case, my point was that mad monks have the same attcks as anything else (just without weapons, which PCs can do anyway)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
I think Mad Monks have 9 AP. That means they can attack three times per round. The attacks are not actually faster.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
I think the mad monks get multiple hits per attack, too. They certainly did in E3.

—Alorael, who doesn't think any PC's will ever be able to perform monk-like attacks. For one thing, 9 AP and multiple attacks are both impossible. For another thing, Jeff never intended for the feisty slap of pain to be mastered by mere mortals.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1278
Profile #17
I thought of the best item I will create when I register BOA: (that will, sadly be the first game I will register) the Glove of the Slap. It will allow for a once-a-day Fiesty Slap of Pain, for, I'd say, 200 damage and a stun effect. Prepare for my scenario, people!

[ Thursday, December 12, 2002 09:39: Message edited by: Kogar Spinemasher ]

--------------------
"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
-The Emperor, Star Wars
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #18
Oh joy. Oh farging, positive, absolute JOY.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #19
But wouldn't the glove of slap be deleted as it moved from one scenario to the next?

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
If it's usable once a day, then it will be deleted. If it's usable whenever, then it will remain intact.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #21
Anyway, given that the votes seem to be pretty much in, would it be a good idea for someone to send this in?
If so, I'd nominate one of the moderators and/or people seem to have Jeff's ear (figuratively), such as Drakefyre or Schrodinger. Or I could do it, if people preferred that for some reason.

--------------------