more than 4 characters !

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: more than 4 characters !
Apprentice
Member # 2138
Profile #0
Av 3 has ONE default : it's in English... (I'm French). :(

And one true default : only 4 characters... In Nethergat, you start with 4 but you can have 2 others... It's a good idea :mad:

--------------------
GG l'avernite, alias Glukx Ouglouk le Barbare, guerrier orc et ravageur (français) de forums. "I'm the King of the World and I've a mac!"

"The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes"
-Terry Pratchett, "Mr bunnsy has an adventure", in "The Amazing Maurice"
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #1
Yes it is a good idea, but probley not going to happen, Avernum seems like it will always just have the four characters, also, if I understand right, BoA will not allow NPC's to join your party anyway. (very disappionted in that actualy, oh well, cant have everything).

Also, I hope the language difference doesnt take away from your enjoyment of Avernum 3.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1973
Profile Homepage #2
Scenarios could be designed in any language, really. The tools and skill descriptions would be in english, but the dialog could be in any language you want. Although I'm not sure if it would be possible to use characters that aren't standard in the English alphabet, but I don't see why not.
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #3
WHAT?! No NPCs? Not even any of the sort found in the other avernum games? Man, that would ultrasuck, I was planing to try to make a scenario in which the player starts with only one PC and must recruit the rest of the party.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #4
I know, it does 'ultrasuck'. But, that's what Jeff said would be the case, so we have to abide by it. I guess we'll just have to find [crappy] workarounds that don't let the NPCs level up or gain skills. Oh well, at least Jeff says these one won't shoot your party with fireballs.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
NPCs can still gain levels, equipment, and skills in BoE, and I don't see why not in BoA.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1133
Profile #6
quote:
Originally posted by Mortimer:
Also, I hope the language difference doesnt take away from your enjoyment of Avernum 3.
It doesn't. My English did improve while playing the Exile series(though it's not very good yet, now)

--------------------
Soy un perdedor... I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
----------------------------------
"We're more popular now than Jesus, I don't know which will disappear first, Rock'n'Roll or Christianity."
It's Christianity!
----------------------------------
There was some time I called myself manic derpressive. Well, I wasn't. I just didn't know what 'Manic' meant.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #7
Really. Don't think I ever saw that in a scenario, or read about it. Define 'gaining experience, levels and equipment'. Are we talking 'level up not unlike player characters, and can actually equip items' or are we talking 'make more custom monsters with boosted stats to simulate leveled up NPCs, and include them in different areas, or possibly check for a certain flag to decide level'. If it's the former, how in god's name do you do it? If we're talking about something more artificial, though, then that wasn't what I was talking about.

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #8
It's the latter. And it's a horribly complicated workaround for what could be made simple for us to implement.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
At least BoA includes monster inventory and equipment as a possibility. Depending on how it's set up, some NPC's may always be the same level and simply have different items equipped.

—Alorael, who would prefer to look on the bright side. At least the lack of area of effect spells will prevent NPC's from roasting your party by accident! And if behavior can be so easily customized, then there will be some more variation in what they do.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #10
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
the lack of area of effect spells
Since when?

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
There are no area-of-effect spells in Avernum, only multi-target spells.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #12
There is Cloud of Blades, but that's the only one I can think of.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
Vote Wise Man!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
As long as you don't let NPC's use Cloud of Blades, then, everything is okay. And that's really not a huge loss, since I don't trust the Avernum AI to target intelligently anyway.

—Alorael, who would just love watching the NPC's cast Cloud of Blades on the doomguard that is entirely surrounded by party members. It would bring back wonderful memories of BoE.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #14
So where did who ever it was see that there would be no NPCs, And did they really mean no recruitable PCs? I can only hope it was a simple mistake.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
Vote Wise Man!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
In that big long thread in BoE, Jeff said no to recruitable PCs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #16
Yeah. Jeff Vogel himself said no recruitable NPCs. There are supposed to be NPCs that actually follow you around this time, instead of just hanging around and occasionally blasting you with firestorm (which thankfully is not in Avernum). Or so Jeff says on the aforementioned 'long thread'.

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #17
It's not an accident. NPCs are all secretly double agents who hate you. Of course, I wouldn't mind their firestorming if they didn't complain when I returned the favour.
BANNED
Member # 870
Profile Homepage #18
Then why are they loyal to us?

--------------------
Siganture perishes.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1902
Profile Homepage #19
i don't under stand the nonsense you all are making out but the kind scenario i'm making is to where you can eather choose a good race or a bad race like for instance you can be a Canorius(dog race) and that would be a good race or you could be a giant for instance and that would be your bad race, so when you end up going to towns there is a good side and a evil side. The only reason i got this idea is because i've heard you can design your own PC graphics which will take some time. Please don't steal my idea. If you have any coments about this tell me and please tell me what i heard was true.

--------------------
--Axerax the Dragon Tamer--
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
Umm ... you can't really have custom races, and I don't see how you would really implement that.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #21
Yeah, what Drake said. Also, while you can create custom PC graphics, you could do that in BoE too, and unless I'm mistaken, it will only be possible to insert the PC graphics into the game files themselves, not a custom graphics sheet. And it's pretty unreasonable to ask players, some of whom aren't scenario designers and don't feel like working with the avernum .meg or .bmp files to mess around with their graphics just to play the scenario. I'd suggest reading the 'long thread' from Jeff that we (or at least I) keep mentioning in this discussion, as it regards custom races (with humorous analogies involving jelly bean men and vulcans available!).

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2138
Profile #22
Yeah, it could be amazing to play with any race ! I want an alien warrior an a sorcerer from mars (check in the area 51). :mad:

By the way, I play Dungeons and Dragons (3rd) with friends, and I think it could be better if you could play orcs or gobelins in med fans RPG :rolleyes:

--------------------
GG l'avernite, alias Glukx Ouglouk le Barbare, guerrier orc et ravageur (français) de forums. "I'm the King of the World and I've a mac!"

"The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes"
-Terry Pratchett, "Mr bunnsy has an adventure", in "The Amazing Maurice"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
It's a pity that BoA won't support it, but Pygmalion should.

--------------------
====
====
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #24
When are we allowed to see Pyg in its' full glory? Any ideas?

[AHH.. Crappy english corrected..]

[ Sunday, November 24, 2002 05:26: Message edited by: YayYayHurricane ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]

Pages