Babysitting released

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Babysitting released
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #25
I don't know if tar preserves resource forks, and I rather suspect it doesn't.

Anyway, if anyone betatesting Windows BoA has played Babysitting, I'd like to hear if the graphics worked.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #26
To come back to the original topic: Thank you for that sequence Koth. It's exciting to play and full of surprises. I loved the three wands, especially the polymorphing one :D
But, why (...now the complaints), why you guys always declare your scenarios as lower than they are? Really, I tried it with L1 - the last fight is impossible! Nowhere in the scen you can buy skills, so everything stays at L1; the potions to buy are limited ... I just failed with the L1-party (without cheating). I even failed with a L17 singleton, the last fight is far above L1-3. I would say, Babysitting is at least about L6-10.
Second: Because everybody likes Babysiitting, it is quite a shock to come to the end so early. But it's lay-out would hopefully allow to add the missing parts of the adventure, no? :P

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #27
Wow. I beat BS with a level 4 singleton- I didn't know that losing with a level 17 singleton was even possible.

spy.there, which tactics for BoA are you familiar with? I'd get to know things like "Bless/Haste", if I were you.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
Wow. I beat BS with a level 4 singleton- I didn't know that losing with a level 17 singleton was even possible.

spy.there, which tactics for BoA are you familiar with? I'd get to know things like "Bless/Haste", if I were you.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #29
When I bless and haste, they curse and slow me all the time - Kijellka and the other mage are damn strong.
And obviously you are the better player :)

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Playing with a level 1 4-person party on Torment, I had to reload about ten times before I beat K and D. My guess is that I'm about average skill level.

My method: give the mutating wand to the priest. Haste everyone and bless the fighters before going through the door. In the first turn, use the fighters to kill the guys on ground level in front of me, the priest to mutate the mage and priest on the raised area, and the mage to slow K and D and ice-lance the archers. This left K, D, and an archer still alive, and they were slowed.

The next turn, my fighter switched places with the archer using the Wand of Translocation. I hacked K up first. I think I had to fireball him and possibly ice him, too. My other fighter took down the archer. By that point, with just D left, I had no trouble.

I had to talk to Khoth before I figured out to do this, though. It's a hard fight.

EDIT: The reason these scenarios are declared the levels that they are is just that someone like the Creator will come along and beat some incredibly difficult scenario with a level 1 party. Thuryl has been known to do that too, and Imban, and a handful of others. The people who've been playing Blades for years and years have a huge influence on how things get labeled.

[ Monday, May 03, 2004 16:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #31
The designer tells the player what level the scenario is intended to be played at. However, the designer may want the scenario to be difficult or he may want it to be easy. In Emulations, the fights are not meant to be too troubling. One or two reloads for the tough ones and you're fine. This is so the combat doesn't detract from the flow of the story, and also to give the player a feeling of great power. On the other hand, my scenario Deadly Goblins is intended for level 1 parties, but is probably one of the most difficult scenarios there is (to beat fairly, at least). You have to be an above-average player just to complete it without cheating.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #32
Also, I never tried in on Torment. I imagine it would be a lot harder.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #33
Khoth- I've not played it fully, but everything appears good in Windows. Custom graphics appear to work, anyways.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #34
I'm still having problems with my graphics for this one, and I never did see the little sister (same error as spy.there reported).
Any ideas about how to fix/deal with these issues?

Edit: Ok, here's the list of errors I've encountered thus far:

Tried to call a non-existant script state (first fight, at the door between hallway and common room of the inn)

Tried to call a non-existant town script state (leaving town)

Tried to call a non-existant outdoor script state (hidden stairs on the north wall)

Anybody know how I could fix this without needing an update to the scenario?

[ Thursday, May 06, 2004 07:00: Message edited by: Ragnarok Hellcaller ]

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #35
Wow, I have no idea what's going on there.

Did you definitely unstuff the graphics file and put it in the right place?

Did you get a message box at the start of the scenario, or nothing at all?

Is this a Mac or a PC? If Mac, is it OS X?

Try downloading the newest version, ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/AvernumScen/mac/Babysitting.sit

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #36
I only use Mac.

I just downloaded the update to the scenario and the update to BoA (yeah, I'm really good about checking for updates). Lemme try this out again really quick.

EDIT: Yeah, it all works fine now. Sorry about that.

Edit (again):You should have put something in so that if your party kills the noble on purpose, you get a reward of some sort (but only if you killed him in town). Also, it would be even funnier if you could leave the noble alone, and then tell the mayor where you left the noble locked up, waiting to starve to death.

Wouldn't that just make the whole thing worth it? hehhehhehheh :D

[ Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:50: Message edited by: Ragnarok Hellcaller ]

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #37
I found Ashford but not the sister and am still in the cave. There was a previous thread about this but I lost track of it.

Any help out there?
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #38
Sit in the special seeing chair, which is located in a room to the far east that contains the ambushing mages and priests. The chair will allow you to view the entire caves area, as long as you use it correctly. To use it, merely have one of your characters sit in it, then use the directional tabs to move your view around. In this manner, you should be able to figure out which cell contains your sister, and set her free. You'll also need the key Kjellka is carrying to open the cell door, although if you already rescued Ashford you must have it.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #39
And that's it, right? I mean you get the sister, go back to town, and that's the end of the game?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #40
Yes, that's it.

I know it's really short, but I wanted to release something, and I have finals this term.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #41
Koth, I found a funny bug: You can rescue more than one sister! If you re-enter the bandit's lair - with your sister in dragging rope - you find the next sister waiting in the cell.
I ended up with twins in pink cape, following me and a third sister, staying in the dungeon, helplessly erring around with Lord Ashford together ... LOL

I really hope, you will develop that sequence and make it laaarger :)
btw: Is Kjellka a nordish being?

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #42
Oh damn, not another thing caused by towns half-resetting when you leave.

The names of the bad guys were completely made up. The other human names are moderately real, although I think you'd have to be British to understand one of them.

And btw, I'm a dragon, not a Lovecraftian elder god.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #43
I posted a review for the scenario on the spiderweb scenario list and I've noticed afterwards that several of my complaints were actually in the scenario just not easy to notice. I'll leave my review to stand, as most people I doubt look online and in the scripts to find these things they missed, but I just want to apologize for the slightly lower score then I would have given if I noticed these.

I did beat the final fight, although it was tough with a level 4 party, (had a level 3 party saved from Red Roses, and decided that it wasn't different enougth from level 1 so I used it. Now it didn't make one once of difference in the final battle because I could have dealt with it with a level one party because what kept on killing me wouldn't change. That would be the two mages who cast lighting spray for 60 damage to the entire party. The only way to beat it for me was by using one of the wands, and a pre hasted, blessed party and kill the mages before they could act. After that the battle wasn't so bad.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #44
Linthar, why not post a review of it at the CSR:
http://p080.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm32.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #45
Pardon me, but what's Red Roses? :P

--------------------

Pages