Sissy teleporting punks

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sissy teleporting punks
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #0
*Whinge*

Don't you hate it when you're just about to cleave some pshychotic rebel leader in half, and the sissy punk has the nerve to teleport out of there? Or when you're teaching an ancient vampire the meaning of pain, and he does the same. Hmph.

Wish I could just be like, "Oh, sorry, I don't really feel like dying at the moment, so I'm just going to teleport, heal totally and send all my henchmen after you."

I swear, if one of these bad guys pulls it on me again, I'm going to stomp him.

*Gives all the top-notch third-party scenario designers a hard look*

Md.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
On the other hand, a few villains also have the strangest tendency to do the same thing instead of beating you to a pulp. Sure, they could kill you now, but they'd much rather let their minions do it -- and anyway, they have an appointment with their hairdresser in 15 minutes.

[ Wednesday, April 14, 2004 23:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #2
I don't particularly mind it, but it does get a bit overused.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Apprentice
Member # 4160
Profile #3
I like to call this the "Buu and the Z Fighters" Dilemma. Anyone watch Dragonball Z at all?

This dilemma occurs whenever the party is facing a monster or enemy who is , to a large degree, hiding his power or true intent/nature. The first battle occurs only so that the villain can "Sum up" his foes, but the villain doesnt unleash much of his own power...in DwtD, Vahkos himself actually says this... "Now I know what I am truly facing"...and the next time you see him, he is stronger and has exploding freezy things. Each successive battle is almost like a science experiment in which the villain employs a new power, and sees how it works. The result is a progression of "Transformations" or different battles and battle-scenes, between the antagonist and the party.

The normal climax becomes epic, but the Climax is dampered. (Almost no matter what, I mean, old Greek epics had this problem).

The problem is that its really tough to actually get a good Climax out of the last fight. Destroying someone cant be the simple solution. Introducing a load of new tricks and new graphics can help. Other ways to get an interesting climax include a change in enemy or focus, like in DwtD (Though certainly not perfect); after three battles with Vahknos, you are sent back to the castle, and you MUST make an ultimatum. The pressure of deciding what to do adds to the climax. Then, the climax is further emphasised by the INFINITE number of guards chasing you up the tower. Lastly, when you reach the Crystal, who is there but Lord Maynard himself? All is revealed. I think this ending is fantastic. The only thing I would have asked for more would have been a better fight out of Maynard...he clearly showed his age. And maybe a better death speech :)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Well, let me put it this way- if you were the villain, would you die with honor if you had the chance to flee like a little girl? ;)

Although you are right in some ways. A villain should be intrinsically tougher to beat, rather than become a recurring threat over and over again.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #5
It's just the injustice of it all! If I ever make a scenario (doubtable), I'm going to make it so there's a REASON the bad guy runs off (other than him being a TM Schoolgirl). Or maybe like in Ocarina, how Ganon sends Phantom Ganon after you? It didn't give me pangs of "DAMMIT! COME AND FIGHT ME BIATCH! I'LL KICK YOU'RE ARSE!" when he did that - perhaps because Ganon is legitimately scary.

Md.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #6
quote:
This dilemma occurs whenever the party is facing a monster or enemy who is , to a large degree, hiding his power or true intent/nature. The first battle occurs only so that the villain can "Sum up" his foes, but the villain doesnt unleash much of his own power...in DwtD, Vahkos himself actually says this... "Now I know what I am truly facing"...and the next time you see him, he is stronger and has exploding freezy things. Each successive battle is almost like a science experiment in which the villain employs a new power, and sees how it works. The result is a progression of "Transformations" or different battles and battle-scenes, between the antagonist and the party.

I'd rather be ground into dust, mercilessly, than to have to listen to another one of those cliche "Now I know your true power," speeches.
If these villians and bosses had any balls at all, they would use all their might in the beginning and kill you quickly.
If I was ever in a fight and some guy tried to push some of that **** on me, I'd use the break in his concentration and rip his freaking tounge out.
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #7
I'm with you on thatone. Don't any designers even look at the list of things that evil overlords absolutely must take into account when they come up with their master plans? Just to point it out, in case you have been missing it: click on the third link in my signature. It takes you to the Evil Overlord List. Try making an antagonist that actually pays attention to some of the little details mentioned in the List.

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #8
Ahhh, truely men after my own heart... Thought that doc was pretty damn funny too Rag. I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to walk the path of either a mad scientist or an evil dictator.

Md.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #9
I believe I mentioned that list in my parody of Spears. :P

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #10
Oh, sorry Creator, I haven't played that one yet, Give me a link and I'll check it out though.

EDIT: typo

[ Friday, April 16, 2004 05:32: Message edited by: Ragnarok Hellcaller ]

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #11
SPARES

One of three parodies I've written of BoE scenarios to date. You really do need to play Spears first to fully appreciate it, though.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #12
The best boss i've seen in BOA till now is the giant chief guy in ZKR in the giant fort.

That guy is legitimately scary, surrounded by 8 giant warriors and 4 mages, starting with the quaff of an invulnerability elixir, that dude kicks ass.

Also, being the leader of a masochist clan, he LIKES to get hurt and fights to the death like a real man, not before whooping t3h ar$e of most of your dudes tough (invuln elix)

that kind of battles is the ones i enjoy.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00