skills

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: skills
Apprentice
Member # 4151
Profile #0
what are the special skills what do they do and where do u get them?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
There are a whole lot of them. Parry, Blademaster, Anatomy, Gymnastics, Pathfinder, and Magery are the familiar ones. There are a few new ones as well.

Quick Strike puts you earlier in combat turn order and gives you extra AP sometimes.

Lethal Blow is a kind of super assassination. It kills things very, very well.

Riposte lets you land hits on enemies when they attack you sometimes. I've never seen it work, but my party is still low level and I only have the skill because I cheated shamelessly to find it.

Sharpshooter improves missile skills.

—Alorael, who got all the skills by boosting other skills. Learn enough standard skills and you'll run into the special ones. Parry, for example, comes from having good defense, dexterity, and hardiness. Some of the special skills even require other special skills.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #2
Gone are the skills of Vahnatai lore, find herbs, and barter.

The way I got all the special skills was to make a shop that sold each of them. I guess thats why I can't raise most of them with training.
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #3
mind crystal: Fatal Blow, cost 0, stackable item... this should be fun ;) , oh yeah, and an infinite item store.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
As far as I can tell, these are the special skills and the skills needed to get them:
Quick Strike: Dexterity at least 8, Melee or Pole Weapons at least 6
Parry: Dex 8, Defense 6
Blademaster: Melee 6, Pole 6
Anatomy: Intelligence 6, Melee or Pole 8
Gymnastics: Strength 8, Dex 10
Pathfinder: Int 8, Nature Lore 8
Magery: Int 10, Mage or Priest Spells 6
Resistance: Dex 10, Endurance 11, Hardiness 8
Magical Efficiency: Magery 8, End 11
Lethal Blow: Anatomy 8, Blademaster 8
Riposte: Parry 8
Sharpshooter: Dex 6, Bows or Thrown Weapons 8
Dread Curse: gained through events in the scenario

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #5
I'm confused. The game manual (page 10) seems to suggest that, in the case of Parry, at least, the prerequisite for gaining a given new skill is the number of times that you have trained in the relevant base skills (for Parry: 6 times in Defense and Dexterity), not the level to which you have trained them.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Wouldn't the two be the same, usually? In any case, it's the number of points in the skill.

—Alorael, who would like to know how one would go about boosting a skill without training. Even skill shops are training of a sort, they just cost gold instead of skill points.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #7
—Alorael, who would like to know how one would go about boosting a skill without training.

Well, there are scripting calls that increase skills.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #8
wait wait wait, is parry still non trainable? if so, then how can you get riposte? (and do you get 1 extra in the skills everytime you pass the prerequisites for the skill?) if that is the case, which i doubt, riposte would take a while to get...
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Shiryu:

wait wait wait, is parry still non trainable? if so, then how can you get riposte? (and do you get 1 extra in the skills everytime you pass the prerequisites for the skill?) if that is the case, which i doubt, riposte would take a while to get...
Well, once you raise the prerequisits of the skill high enough I believe you can train in them after that. If I remeber correctly I made a maxed out character and raised all my skills up to 100, even the special ones!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Shiryu: everything's trainable now.

Boots: I got these results from using the character editor. My guess is that since you can't have strength, dexterity, or intelligence below 2, 2 is considered the base for those skills. 3 would be the base for endurance. This just simplifies the numbers: rather than thinking of some skills needing to be 6, some 8, some 10, and some 11, you can think of everything needing to be trained either 6 or 8 times.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
You can get special skills from scripts or shops, but then you can't train them normally. If you raise the prerequisites high enough, you don't get any points of the skill, but you can train it just like any other skill.

—Alorael, who doubts he'll ever get riposte or lethal blow through training. Shops and scripts sound like the best way to get that.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

As far as I can tell, these are the special skills and the skills needed to get them:
Blademaster: Melee 6, Pole 6
Anatomy: Intelligence 6, Melee or Pole 8
Pathfinder: Int 8, Nature Lore 8
Magery: Int 10, Mage or Priest Spells 6
Resistance: Dex 10, Endurance 11, Hardiness 8
Magical Efficiency: Magery 8, End 11
Lethal Blow: Anatomy 8, Blademaster 8
Riposte: Parry 8
Sharpshooter: Dex 6, Bows or Thrown Weapons 8
Dread Curse: gained through events in the scenario

Why I don't have any of those it seems my characters have the requirement?

One character has Str 14, Dex 10, Melee 8, Defense 8 and it has none of those :

The only skill I got is for one char Magery, I also bougth sharpshooter but can't train it normally but the characters doesn't match the requirements of this skill.

Are those numbers requirements really right? Why this doesn't work for my char?

EDIT : In fact I got 2 special abilities, magery for two chars and pathfinder for one. It's seems one char (the one mentionned above) cannot get any special ability. Is that possible and why?

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 01:33: Message edited by: Vent ]
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Shiryu: everything's trainable now.

...rather than thinking of some skills needing to be 6, some 8, some 10, and some 11, you can think of everything needing to be trained either 6 or 8 times.

I think that's exactely that and that is why I had a char that didn't seem get the skills. It's because it's base was high.

For example parry need 6 training for dex and defense without take in count the base nor item bonuses. So he has a base of dex 6 and a base of 0 for defence. so he needs dex 13 and defence 6 but it's just 6 training in dex and 6 training in defence.

BUT, at least for this char, its base isn't the base at it's creation but what I can see in character editor. At creation it had dex 4 and defence 2 but in character editor I can't lower the dex bellow 6 but I can lower defence to 0 and it's this 6 and 0 the bases to use. Strange, seems to me like a minor bug.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Perhaps you have an item equipped which raises Dexterity, or you bought a Dexterity increase from a trainer at some point?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Perhaps you have an item equipped which raises Dexterity, or you bought a Dexterity increase from a trainer at some point?
Good points, for items I checked and removed all of them, this char had none. Are really skills point trained through a trainer doesn't count? I dunno.

I can't remember have met any trainer that increase my dex (first 3 Jeff scenario).

Also this would have mean to have unlearned defence skills as I started with 2. Or the special rule apply only for the 4 first skills.

About special cases, I also quoted that some skills automatically add one point to some other skills when they reach some value, perhaps those added points count or not in base. I dunno.

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 03:39: Message edited by: Vent ]
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Vent:

quote:

Good points, for items I checked and removed all of them, this char had none. Are really skills point trained through a trainer doesn't count? I dunno.

I can't remember have met any trainer that increase my dex (first 3 Jeff scenario).

Also this would have mean to have unlearned defence skills as I started with 2. Or the special rule apply only for the 4 first skills.

About special cases, I also quoted that some skills automatically add one point to some other skills when they reach some value, perhaps those added points count or not in base. I dunno.

Nephil characters start with a higher base Dex than the other races. Specifically, they start with a base of 4 Dex, while the others have a base of 2. However, a Nephil's base Dex also gets even higher as they gain levels. None of this bonus gets counted towards the requirements for the special skills though.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Gorvin:

Nephil characters start with a higher base Dex than the other races. Specifically, they start with a base of 4 Dex, while the others have a base of 2. However, a Nephil's base Dex also gets even higher as they gain levels. None of this bonus gets counted towards the requirements for the special skills though.[/QB]
I can't translate the last sentence. Can someone explain what it means? For mention, the char I mentionned is human barbarian at creation. Is its dex attributes had rise itself and I didn't noticed that?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
Does he have the Fast on Feet trait? Maybe that's what's causing it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #19
quote:

Does he have the Fast on Feet trait? Maybe that's what's causing it.
No but she :-) has Divinely Touched and Sickness Prone traits
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #20
Is it possible then to get some of those special skills at all without cheating? Some seem so impossible to get.

Also, is gymnastic the same as fast on feet? Are any equivalent to any advantages? So, in other words, probably it seems better to get disadvantage rather than those ad such as fast on feet/elite warrior in order to level up faster so to get those special skills.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Wednesday, November 12 2003 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
Experimenting with the HLPM, I see that a specially designed level 30 char can have a decent Lethal Blow skill, but a char won't be balanced and have Lethal Blow until about level 50. No scenario has been designed yet that is supposed to bring a party up to level 50, but presumably some will be, eventually.

Most other difficult skills (like Riposte and Resistance) are at about the same level as Lethal Blow. A level 60 char could have most of the hard-to-get skills at reasonably high levels.

I don't think any of the special skills are exactly equivalent to character traits. Quick Strike and Gymnastics can substitute for Fast on Feet when working together, but you have to be a pretty high level in order to have both of those skills, and most of the scenarios right now don't go that high.

As far as I know, there is no substitute for Divinely Touched or Natural Mage. Also, some scenarios in the future may check for these abilities (like Good Education) and have different results.

This all requires a lot of speculation about what future scenarios will do, though. For the four pre-packaged, you can probably ignore Fast on Feet in favor of Quick Strike and Gymnastics without any trouble, and anything else comparable.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #22
I don't get it... I have 20 parry, yet no riposte. Why?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
Updated list here. Your problem comes from lack of Blademaster, probably.

--------------------