Oops...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Oops...
Apprentice
Member # 4146
Profile Homepage #0
I um... killed the chief spider.. cos he annoyed me... and I was frustrated and stuck... and ... well.. later on, the game told me that hey, that was stoopid cos now I can't finish.

Fair enough. Violence bad.

But! The nice game tells me to go bring him back to life with the editor so I can win anyway! Having spent about 48 rl hours getting that far, I thunk that was one heck of a good idea.

However!

The editor offers me the option to reset towns, which should bring people back to life and forget grudges, etc. The administration level is technically a town. So ... when I do that... and I do remember to save changes... why the heck is that big ugly hairy spider still dead?!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
Blah blah visit 4 towns and come back blah blah

At least try it.
Apprentice
Member # 4146
Profile Homepage #2
It's quite possible that my blondeness is showing more than usual, but I don't quite understand your answer. I reset the towns and the game still tells me that the npc I need to finish the plot is dead. What does this have to do with visiting towns, sorry?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Mmm, a blonde.

Uh, anyway, it's an old thing from BoE. To reset a town's monsters, you go visit 4 other towns. It doesn't seem to work quite the same way in BoA, though (thank god -- that particular "feature" annoyed me). This should work:

It's possible you have to leave the town and come back. Leave the town, go to another town -- not just an outdoor section, but another *town* -- then reset the towns, save changes, and come back to the Administration Level. Hopefully, the Chief Spider should be back.

EDIT: Re-read your post and realized I was being a moron. What I'm saying now should work, though.

EDIT 2: Just tried this to make sure that it works. Yes indeed, if you leave town and come back (going anywhere, outdoor section or town), after having reset the town, then it should be fully reset. The downside of this is that the bad monsters will be back, too (namely the Platebug Queen).

[ Wednesday, March 24, 2004 20:22: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4146
Profile Homepage #4
Nononono, other monsters back is good news! More xp for me! ... sorry, munchkin roots showing under the blonde there. I'll see if this works!
Apprentice
Member # 4146
Profile Homepage #5
Well, it worked. To some sad extent. The monsters come alive allright... But the game still tells me that since I killed chief spider, I have to use the editor to bring him back to life. Which apparently is not done with 'reset towns' -- any other suggestions?
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #6
Can you change "Stuff done" flags in the editor? If so, try clearing flag 9, 14.

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #7
"i did something i wasnt supposed to and now i cant beat the game"
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
If all else fails, you can edit your copy of VoDT and place a second Chief Spider. To do this, open up the Scenario Editor, open VoDT, load town 9, place another spider (or any monster -- just make sure it's friendly), use the Edit Object tool (a hand) to select it, give it personality 180, and viola! New chief spider.

This is kind of dangerous though -- back up your copy of VoDT before you do it.

Erm, if that doesn't work, you may have to manually reset SDF (9,14). Create a special on the town floor (anywhere, but remember where you put it) that calls special 47. Then add to t9Administrat.txt at the very bottom,

beginstate 47;
set_flag(9,14,0);
end();

Then go and step on that space where you put the special, leave the town and come back. This is rather extreme, but it should give you a new Chief Spider.

EDIT: Err, you may have to leave the town and come back several times that I didn't mention in the process of doing this.

[ Thursday, March 25, 2004 07:31: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #9
Is it possible to take the party I have from the first scenario into the second? I killed the spider too, and the editor sounds daunting...

--------------------
fishing
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Why is everyone killing the Chief Spider? He's so friendly and harmless! Plus, he thinks you're cute ;) .

Yes, you can take your party out. Walk out the south of Fort Talrus. Or, failing that, use the Character Editor function, Take Out Of Scenario.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4146
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Why is everyone killing the Chief Spider? He's so friendly and harmless! Plus, he thinks you're cute ;) .
Because we get frustrated not being able to find the way further down and well.. you know how it goes... innocent bystanders... and I REALLY REALLY hate spiders... a spider landed on my face once... the idea of an even bigger one thinking I'm cute... eeeyow! raaaar! mustkillmustkillmustkill!

I'm beginning to think, though, that I possibly should just suck up my punishment for being a bad arachnophobe and run another party up to there and like... let him live (shudder). The point in using the editor would be not to have to do everything I've already done over again to save time -- but at this point it's getting so complex I think it's going to be faster to just run another group through ;)

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, though!

... Hey... How'd you, up there above somewhere, figure out that the flags to edit would be 9, 14? Are you psychic or do the spiders secretly talk to you at night?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
The spiders won't leave me alone! Their high-pitched chattering voices follow me everywhere! They even talk to me at night! AAAAAAAHHHH!

Actually, since the town name is Administration, you can find the script in the VoDT folder that looks like it's called Administration. It's t9Administrat.txt. Then, open it up and look at the first couple of states. Under START_STATE, there's a message dialog that says that you've killed the Chief Spider. It's only called if (9,14) is equal to 1 and (9,3) is equal to zero. We know that this message shows up if the spider dies and you haven't completed the quest yet. A value of zero usually means you haven't done something, and a value of one usually mean you have. Thus we can guess that (9,3) is the SDF for completing that quest (which you would have to have NOT done yet for the message to show up, so the SDF would have to be equal to zero) and (9,14) is the SDF for killing the Chief Spider (which you would have to have done, so the SDF would be equal to 1).

The other way to do this is to figure out which spider is the Chief Spider in the Scenario Editor. You can do it mostly by location -- he's in a particular spot. To know for sure, open up the dialogue script for this town, t9Administratdlg.txt, and look at which dialogues the Chief Spider spoke. They'll say that they're for a particular personality (in this case 180). Then go back to the editor and click with the Edit Object tool until you've found the spider with that personality. Click on Edit This Creature. Look at Memory Cells 1 and 2. They are 9 and 14, respectively, which means that when he dies, (9,14) gets set to 1.

This sounds really complicated, but it's not when you actually do it.

EDIT: bottom line, find the Chief Spider and look at his Memory Cells. Mem Cells 1 and 2 tell you what you want to know.

[ Thursday, March 25, 2004 22:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #13
This is really random but I have to say it.
quote:
I REALLY REALLY hate spiders
How could you?!!! :eek:

[ Wednesday, July 28, 2004 05:55: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

How could you?!!! :eek:
No, how could you?! Don't revive topics this old to same something this pointless.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4788
Profile #15
The Very Simple Solution

Those who have killed the spider u simply reset town and save it in editor.

U leave the level for 1 minute (so the prog load new instructions) and it's ok.

It's really worth to do it to the end. I personnally think spider trick is the best of this aventure : i killed the spider (after talking) and took the eggs that i threwed away so i was stuck (cauz eggs dont reset)!!!!