Missiles/Abilities

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Missiles/Abilities
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #0
One thing I'm curious about is how customizable missile weapons and abilities in general are. Is damage/percent to hit for each ability customizable, or is it set in stone? Also, can we change the graphics used for missiles? If I really want to have a "mage" with no abilities but who can toss out Firebolts, I should be able to. Also, will abilities have customizable sounds? Will we be able to customize which element damage they do (such as a cold-ray to counter the heat one)?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about when you say 'abilities'. If you're talking about monster's special abilities, hit % depends on level, both yours and the opponent's. Missile weapons can have an added accuracy bonus item ability, but you can't set the accuracy at a percentage.

Can't change the graphics AFAIK, and definitely no custom sounds.

As for the element - no.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
I think the general idea is that if you want a mage to toss a firebolt, you use the "bolt of fire" spell.

I suppose you could make a missile weapon with no base damage but bonus fire damage.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #3
Can you equip monsters with armor and weapons, though?

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
No.

The wasted posting!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, you can. And the items make a big difference.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
To monsters? Someone just asked this five days ago and the answer was 'no'. You guys confuse me...

And how would they use items anyway? So damage gets modified by what weapon they are using? Goblins with the Blackhalberd? I'm scared.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Equipment presumably makes some difference. If you've played through the Avernum games, you should also recall those annoying times you encounter something pathetic with access to wands or scrolls. Even a goblin can be a threat if it sprays lightning at you.

—Alorael, who doesn't know if more complicated weapon abilities will work. Could you give a goblin the Thirsting Blade and have it regenerate? Presumably that works as a skill boost, and monsters don't have skills, so it might not be possible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Monsters do have a lot of skills. This is completely different from BoE monster creation.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #9
One of the monsters I summoned with a spell once started picking up scrolls off the ground and began blasting away at enemies with 'em. I think it was a ghoul or something like that. Was I hallucinating, or would it be possible to lay out a buncha scrolls, summon monsters, and suddenly have a small army of scroll-using, lightning-slinging creatures at your command?

--------------------
Fly beyond the ocean, over the mountains, past the moon and across the face of the sun, never to come home again.
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Captain Uglyhead:

One of the monsters I summoned with a spell once started picking up scrolls off the ground and began blasting away at enemies with 'em. I think it was a ghoul or something like that. Was I hallucinating, or would it be possible to lay out a buncha scrolls, summon monsters, and suddenly have a small army of scroll-using, lightning-slinging creatures at your command?
I've seen this happen, or at least seen regular creatures do this. Whether or not they were summoned I don't remember, but I can see it happening.
As for the scroll/wand laying out strategy, I guess if you wanted to set a really, really elaborate trap for something then it might work, but when in straight combat I would have to say it would be a bad idea.

---Your strategic Maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Remember, Avernum's AI isn't all that good. There's a good chance that your enemies will pick up at least a few of the items, and then you'll just get yourself into an unpleasant firefight.

—Alorael, who also needs to point out that summoned monsters don't drop items when they die or vanish. Everything you give them is gone for good. Arming them with wands and scrolls would be a very expensive way to take on an enemy!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00