Special spells in Exodus

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Special spells in Exodus
Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #0
I'm fairly new at this, so this may have been covered before, but I'm having issues with the special spells in Exodus. Ok, I admit the slime pit has me completely stymied. I checked the hints and found them unhelpful. To wit: Bind Foe doesn't seem to slow them down at all; Destruction I unfortunately missed getting; most irritating of all is that Capture Soul doesn't work! Any attempt to use it results only in the appearance of a useless humanoid object identified only as a "null". It doesn't do anything except die. All four of my slots remain empty, so I can't use Recall Soul.
Up to now, I got by without these spells just fine, but now it appears that I need them--does anybody know what the problem is?
Also, can anyone tell me if there is a finite number of slimes? Maybe I could stand at the entrance and try to pick them off a few at a time. Nothing else has worked.
Thanks.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
Have you created a spellbook yet?

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #2
Yes, both kinds. No problems with Major Haste, Filth, Flight. Bonechill and Inferno also seem to work. Haven't had much need for Safe Travel yet. Hey, could I use flight to float above the wretched slimes? Somehow, I doubt that would work.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
No flying indoors.

As for the Capture Mind glitch, I sent Kelandon an email about that error.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Capture Soul worked just fine for me in the slime pit. Maybe it's a Windows-specific bug. Hm.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #5
I'm playing on a Mac.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
I seem to recall that spawning copies of the slimes then hasting them with Major Haste was effective. I am on Windows so there was no problem there.
Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #7
Well, I got through the pits anyway, gradually, with judicious summoning and Major Hasting, and lots of missiles and healing. I would like to tell Kass where to stick his tapestry, but oh well. An interesting thing happened when I tried to Capture Soul again after acquiring a second level of it: a hostile null appeared--luckily it was equally useless. I guess I can do without these spells.

[ Sunday, January 27, 2008 18:46: Message edited by: Turtle ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Bind Foe should really put a stop to them. If you cast it two or three times on anything, that thing should be out for a long while. I don't have any idea why that wouldn't work.

Nioca, if you e-mailed me about a problem with Capture Soul, it must have been at a time when I wasn't able to maintain Exodus at all, because I don't remember even attempting to do something about it (and, frustratingly, I can't find the e-mail now).

I used Capture Soul a lot during my various play-throughs, and I never had trouble with it, so I have no idea (none) why it would be acting up like this. The code is really straightforward.

If you could do me a favor, I might be able to figure out something. Use Capture Soul, and tell me if you get the dialogue about putting the creature in a particular slot (1-4). If so, put it in slot 1, and then insert the following code in the scenario script's START_STATE:
print_num(get_flag(294,1)); Load your save file and tell me what number prints when you walk around and after you try to capture something's soul.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #9
I'm happy to help, and I do get the dialogue, but I don't have the foggiest idea how to insert a code into the script! If you could dumb that down a little, I'd be only too glad to comply. Thanks.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
I'll do you one better, Kel. I had already pinpointed the problem with the spell. The contents of the email:
quote:
Email: A couple Exodus bugs.
Sent: Fri 12/07/07 4:03 PM

Kelandon,

I was playing through Exodus again, and I stumbled across a bug with the Capture Soul special spell. The next_state variable that's set when the spell is cast incorrectly redirects the script to state 25 (Anti-Magic Field spell state) after the player selects which slot to use instead of back to state 23 (Capture Soul spell state). It's fixed simply by correcting the variable.

Also, though this rarely happens and I don't know why, but if the Berekhs are charmed, every once in a while, one will act as if they hit an infinite loop (error and all) and freeze up. It's weird, because I can't find anything that would cause that. I don't know whether they actually are hitting an infinite loop, or if the charming just causes the script to behave oddly.

Just thought you'd like to know.

- Nioca

Note that this was with the latest version of Exodus.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Yeah, that was during a time when I wasn't even able to look at BoA stuff, so it just got lost in the shuffle.

Okay, Turtle, here's what you do to fix the spell. Go into the folder called "Exodus." Open the document "exodus.txt" (or possibly just "exodus" if you don't have the extensions visible). Find this bit of text in it:
beginstate 23; // casting Capture Soul
// PS 10, 15 SP
// effect 4, sound 90
if (get_stat(who_used_custom_item(),12) < 10) {
print_str("Your Priest Spells is not high enough to cast Capture Soul.");
end();
}

if (get_energy(who_used_custom_item()) < 15) {
print_str("You do not have enough energy to cast Capture Soul.");
end();
}

// Level check:
// (your level) + ((your PS + your Magery) / 4) + ((your CS skill) * 10)
if (get_level( // long line deleted to prevent board stretching
print_str("Your power is not high enough to capture this creature.");
end();
}

if (func_return == 0) {
reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"You must now enter which slot you want to save the creature into. Enter a numeral between 1 and 4 inclusive.",0);

next_state = 24;
set_state_continue(51);
}

func_return = 0;
deduct_ap(5);
change_char_energy(who_used_custom_item(),-15);
set_flag(294,i,creature_type(who_is_custom_item_target()));
put_effect_on_char(who_is_custom_item_target(),4,4,0);
run_animation_sound(90);

break;
Change this line:
next_state = 24; to this:
next_state = 23; While you're at it, in the next state (a few lines down), find this line:
next_state = 25; and change it to this:
next_state = 24; Let me know if that fixes Capture Soul and Recall Soul. If so, I'll upload the fixed version to my website.

[ Monday, January 28, 2008 09:09: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #12
Yes, Capture and Recall both now work perfectly. Now if only Bind Foe would function--the animation runs and I might even get a message about such-and-such cleaning webs, but it doesn't seem to slow them down for even a moment. I don't know enough about it to tell if there's something wrong with the code:

put_effect_on_char(who_is_custom_item_target(),10,4,0);
run_animation_sound(7);
set_char_status(who_is_custom_item_target(),6,2 + (3 * get_flag(292,1)) + ((get_stat(who_used_custom_item(),2) + get_stat(who_used_custom_item(),11) + get_stat(who_used_custom_item(),25)) / 5),0,1);

It would be nice to have, but not essential to the game. Thanks.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
I think slimes are innately immune to webbing.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #14
How do you web a pile of goo?

--------------------
"I've never owned Subterra" -Ed
Apprentice
Member # 12959
Profile #15
True. Bind Foe works fine against shamblers. It was the hint file that made me think it should be useful with slimes. Anyway, problem solved, thanks all.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I think slimes are innately immune to webbing.
No, they're not. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to make anything immune to webbing, and the slimes certainly are not, because the hint file documents what I actually did, and the hint files says that Bind Foe is effective against them.

There's nothing wrong with the code, but there's so much wrong with BoA (apparently) that it's hard to know what the problem is.

Note that you have to cast Bind Foe at least two or three times before you should notice any effect. Let me know if you cast it four or five times on a creature and it can still move; if so, something's wrong.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #17
Insects and Special are immune to webs, not slimes. So unless the slimes in Exodus are accidentally set to be insects, it should affect them.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Oh, right, species. The slimes are set to species 10 (slime/plant), so that can't be the source of the problem.

--------------------

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
While you're at it, the Hat of Stability might not be providing all of the bonuses you wanted it to:

it_ability_1 = 57; // resist magic
it_ability_str_1 = 8;
it_ability_2 = 58; // resist mental
it_ability_str_2 = 8;
it_ability_2 = 61; // bonus AP
it_ability_str_2 = 1;

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 07:55: Message edited by: Imban ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Yep. Thanks.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #21
I have no idea why it never occurred to me to comment data scripts so that I could know what stat/ability numbers mean at a glance, but I'm definitely going to do it now.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....