Inevitability

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Inevitability
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #0
Just wanted to see a show of virtual hands of how many people besides myself will be mad with the inevitability that someone is going to try to recreate the Lord of the Rings movies in scenario form.

I can see it now...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #1
To quote Rameous: "Let them sing!"
I'm looking into recreating the Odyssey, myself.
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #2
I wouldn't mind a LotR scenario... But it should only be done by an expert. Like... me (with help from my obsessed brother who chants "lord of the rrriinnnnggs" all day.)

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

MSN: bleusoulilcercatore@hotmail.com
AIM: Byzantine Jones
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
Last time I saw a scenario for it, all it contained was charging through hordes of undead with a gun. :P

Let's be honest- would a LotR movie/scenario be any fun? Either it will never get done, or it will become Arkenstone. Blech.

EDIT: Although admittedly, a well-done Odyssey scenario would be both doable and fun, even if it were to be a bit predictable. I wouldn't have the will to spend that long on a non-Echoes scenario, however.

[ Wednesday, January 28, 2004 14:00: Message edited by: Haamana the Homicider ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I wouldn't bet on inevitability, though. Nobody has made LotR in BoE form.

—Alorael, who doesn't think it lends itself to scenario form at all. Most (good) movies/books don't. They're too character-oriented and not so combat/puzzle oriented.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #5
Errm... I was plannung on doing just that, in BoE.
Would it really be that hated? I am an expert on all things LotR.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Haamana the Homicider:

Last time I saw a scenario for it, all it contained was charging through hordes of undead with a gun.
wtf?! are you referring to my BoE/Arcade hybrid? gahh.

when i said expert, i meant expert on LotR--just to clarify.

[ Wednesday, January 28, 2004 16:34: Message edited by: Jenkins ]

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
I remember my plans to make the Divine Comedy in BoE ... we all know how that's turned out.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Yes, we're still RiBbing you about it to this day... :P

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
I admit to thoughts of making an Odyssey scenario, but, as Haamana stated, it would be rather predictable. Perhaps some other myth of the ancient world would be more appropriate?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #10
I dun know. It depends on if you've read the Odyssey before. I know when I read it, I didn't realize half the stuff happened.
Warrior
Member # 1427
Profile #11
There ARE better stories that could be made into scenarios; 9 Princes in Amber, by Roger Zelazny, for example.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I disagree. The Odyssey is more about the adventurers of a small band. Amber would work, but it's based more on character conflicts, diplomacy, and warfare than on individual heroics. They're there, but they're not as prominent.

—Alorael, who wouldn't say that Amber couldn't be adapted to make a good scenario. It just wouldn't be a standard scenario, and it probably couldn't stand on its own without being based on a known story.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #13
Back to LotR...

Now that I think of it, I am surprised that no one made a LotR scenario for BoE. I don't think there are that many story parodies in BoE, probably because of the engine limitations. Bringing the subject up about the concept of the scenario might prime its inevitability, though.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
Well, there is a Hobbit scenario ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #15
I must say I was referring to the increase in publicity of BOA, which will indeed attract a new crowd to our beloved community. While some might bring help, others will just be lame 1337-h4x0rz and... inevitably... rip grand stories, such as LoTR, off. Sadly there's not much we could do about that, but that's life.

And who knows, perhaps someone will get it right. I'd love to take a shot at it (I personally believe I have the dedication to expend), but my morals prohibit that.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #16
Who knows? I doubt it would attract that many people. The only people who would buy it would buy it as the game itself and THEN find out about the scenarios... but who knows.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #17
Oh no! I've lost my Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring book! It's the special movie edition with the author's not in the beginning. It's not even mine. I haven't even finished it! I MUST STOP LOSING THINGS.

Anyway...

I would actually like to see a LotR scenario trilogy. Of course you'd need to add in a lot more things into the storyline to keep it interesting. Someone could look at the map in the beginning of the book and try to recreate it in the scenario. Scripting the AI would make the game very adaptive to the behavior of the story's characters.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #18
Personally, I'd think that LotR would be almost impossible to translate into a scenario without it sucking and losing the spirit of the book. But it wasn't that long ago that I felt the same way about movies, so what do I know?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #19
Very little it seems. ;) The movies weren't that great. My brother's read the LotR 15 times, the hobbit 17 times, and the Silmarillion 6 times and he loved the movies.

I have read the LotR 2 times, the hobbit 3, and haven't gotten through Christopher's Silmarillion--and *I'm* the Tolkien purist. I can't wait till they remake the LotR movies... all in perfect CGI (which will be affordable soon.)

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #20
Maybe the trilogy would suck, but how about one of the stories in the Silmarillion. Like Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin or something. That would be interesting. The fall of Numenor would be neat as well.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #21
That could be interesting, and since it isn't really detailed, all you could do is expand--not cut parts.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics