Shades of Gray is Released!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Shades of Gray is Released!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
That's right! My first scenario to involve undead has finally been completed, and is available for download here! And don't forget to rate it here!

And for the record, I still hate undead. I just happen to hate these particular undead less.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
It's very pretty.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
Seconded. The cathedral is beautiful. Nice one Ephesos.

Edit: 2 minor observations. (i) I decided not to free the ghosts. After I repaired the machine, it wasn't 100% clear that the scenario was over. Maybe you could add a dialogue option for Father Richardson, like "do you need me to do anything else?" "go home, your work here is done". (ii) The Dervish doesn't give any reason for arresting you, I only found out why by reading the scripts. Perhaps you could add a tiny bit more explanation to this ending. I would have been more satisfied if there had been a little text like "The indictment is a trumped up charge, clearly a cover for your real, unspoken offence. The Dervish must have objected to your actions for reasons which he's not prepared to reveal..."

[ Saturday, April 14, 2007 01:45: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
Bubbly for Ephesos and his merry band of vengeful undead!

--------------------
IMAGE(http://www.jenniferanderson.com/images/champagne.jpg)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
There's a stray door script in Classroom B and my party got stuck in the kitchen at the Golden Egret.

Other than that, it looks good. Dikiyoba enjoyed it.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #5
This scenario gets a 5-star (even though I had some bugs the first time around).

--------------------
WWJD?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
Out of ten? Ouch.

And if you guys are so happy with it, rate it at the Lyceum.

And I must apologize to Ephesos for not being able to keep up. By the time I had started the final beta, you had already released it.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
Misunderstood by Nioca
quote:
Out of ten? Ouch.
No, I meant 5 out of 5.

--------------------
WWJD?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Ugh/ Why does everybody have to stick in these fights everywhere? I started playing SoG because I hoped I would not have to fight a lot. *sighs*

And the starting town is called "Barton." Inspired by TNS's "Upper barton," perhaps?

Other than that, it is quite pretty, with some nice ideas. Didn't finish it yet, though.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

And the starting town is called "Barton." Inspired by TNS's "Upper barton," perhaps?
Barton is the large town you "start" in during the splash screen. It was created completely independently of Upper Barton, though it may be inspired by the surface city for all I know.

And Stratton is the actual starting town.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8404
Profile #10
I need a little help here -- I have never in the past had problems downloading from your site before, that is -- when I still had my OLD ISP -- for the past two/three weeks now, I been force to use AOL :mad:

The probelm is trying the new game Shades of Gray,
however, when I try (both left clicking and right clight clicking followed by save target as) I keep getting the same stupid popup message:

Your currently security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

Again, I need a little help -- would somebody please placed this game/file somewhere else!!!!! :D

Thank you for reading....... James

--------------------
This is only a test

Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been told where to deposited the 30,000 (US) into my Swiss bank account.

Again, this is only a test!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
It's already over here at the Shadowvale Blades Database. Hopefully, it'll work from there.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8404
Profile #12
Thanks -- just downloaded the file. :)

James

--------------------
This is only a test

Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been told where to deposited the 30,000 (US) into my Swiss bank account.

Again, this is only a test!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

Barton is the large town you "start" in during the splash screen. It was created completely independently of Upper Barton, though it may be inspired by the surface city for all I know.

And Stratton is the actual starting town.

Oh yeah, forgot that it was not the actual starting town. But what surface town are you reffering too? Was there in Avernum 3 a town called Barton?

And I forgot to congratulate you. So, congratulations.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

That's right! My first scenario to involve undead has finally been completed, and is available for download...
This implies that you will design more scenarios that include undead...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

Was there in Avernum 3 a town called Barton?
No, I did a text search of Avernum 1-4 and found no mentions of Barton.

In the real world however, there are at least 25 places called Barton.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
quote:

Oh yeah, forgot that it was not the actual starting town. But what surface town are you reffering too? Was there in Avernum 3 a town called Barton?

And I forgot to congratulate you. So, congratulations.

*facepalm*

Okay... so this is how it went. I named the town Barton. Then, you announced your scenario, including a screenshot with Upper Barton in it. I started cursing under my breath. Originally, you would've been able to see the town of Barton in SoG, but then I decided that it just made the outdoors unnecessarily large. So it got cut off.

And as for what I meant in that post, I meant that perhaps your Upper Barton was inspired by Barton (an original surface city)... in terms of story. At least, that would be a cool way for the two to connect. But honestly, it's only named Barton because I named it that early in the design process and didn't change it... no connection (or god forbid plagiarism) was intended.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

I started cursing under my breath. Originally, you would've been able to see the town of Barton in SoG, but then I decided that it just made the outdoors unnecessarily large.
Same reaction here when I read the intro of SoG. When I thought about it, though, I couldn't imagine somebody plagiarizing this. It would be a too trivial thing to copy from somebody else, unless there would have been a direct connection to that town, which there isn't, really.

Anyways, in hindsight it doesn't really matter. It would have been cool if there were some connection, but it would have been impossible: Upper Barton is a colony erected right after Avernum 2. Of course, it could have been the other way around, but still. it would be a bit weak of a connection.

Let's just forget it. No harm intended, no harm done (or at least I really hope TNS didn't make you cut Barton off in SoG, although it was already designed. I would hate myself for it).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
We all know that Bart Simpson is the namesake of Barton, so it hardly surprises that there would be more then one.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
A new version has been released, with a major bug fix... apparently, due to my own idiocy, an entire ending was un-reachable. Also, some weird problem with a while loop was located.

Download it at my site, or at the Database (it should be up soon, I just sent it to Tyran).

--------------------