idea for an annoying obstacle ...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: idea for an annoying obstacle ...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #25
The counter count 10 ticks for every move outdoors, so it's fine.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #26
But don't some terrain use up more or less ticks? This would throw things off if the effect kept on building upon itself over the course of a scenario.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
I don't understand what you're saying.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3857
Profile #28
Just out of curiosity, is there any documentation on scripting available already? even if only basic, provisional, beta documents in plain ascii? :)
Judging by this topic and many others, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to take a look at them...
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #29
Documentation exists but is not yet publically available.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 1097
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Good luck implementing it.
Well, if Ultima 5 managed to do it ages ago... :D
Apprentice
Member # 3913
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

Since you invented night an day on surface, you could introduce office-hours. It is not normal, that you can trade and get missions the whole night, every tradeunion would cry out.
Of course, you could still travel, fight enemies or go for a sleep. Resting will change the game to daylight.
is this an annoying idea? ;)

It is a perfectly annoying idea. Hear Hear. Just the kind of realism we need!

I suppose we should petition to remove the punishment cells from "A Small Rebellion" as well -- they're not humane! However, wait a minute, I'm getting ahead of myself. Those inconvenience the serfs, whereas our primary interest is to inconvenience the player. =)

--------------------
--
- The Hater of Uppity Priests
"Donation for a spell? Donate THIS."
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #32
If you turn off Special Effects, you lose the Day/Night cycle.

I don't know if you could force this with a script though.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Apprentice
Member # 3809
Profile #33
All i can say is GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
Hold fast young one, there is danger all about. He who holds the light of himself within will never shed light on anything, especially the evil minions that roam freely about at night.
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #34
It would be fairly simple to make food useful again. After a day has passed, a scenario timer checks the party's inventory for food; If they have no food, you'll get hurt a little, but it won't kill you. If, by the next day, you STILL don't have food, you'll be hurt more and enfeebled a bit until you eat again. By the next day you'd be cursed until your next meal, until a week has gone by and you're being hurt very often and you're seriously diseased.

Resting could be required once every few days or so... Requiring it more often might make it more of a chore than making it more real. Who knows, anyway. After you go without sleep for too long, you become slowed (until your next rest), then after more time, you'll become cursed, then after enough time you might chicken out in combat, or even spontaneously fall asleep.

I do hope BoA has a way for flags to be set or nodes to be called when you rest. If that isn't there, then we'd have to forget the whole resting thing, but at least we know we can implement the food idea.

Personally, I'm ready for the BoA editor. The scripting will be easy for me... I learned the BoE scenario editor the hard way, but I mastered it (though I have still to conquer my short attention span)... so hopefully that will carry over to the BoA editor.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

MSN: bleusoulilcercatore@hotmail.com
AIM: Byzantine Jones
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #35
This will be very difficult, but I'm not going to say impossible because you may be able to devise something that takes advantage of some little thing.

However, just because something can be done does not necessarily mean it should. Never put anything in that really serves nothing other than to annoy the player. If you use something, make sure it actually improves the scenario in an enjoyable way.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #36
Right. Like making brothels which would make all characters divine warriors in the morning so as to make people want to erm.. rest.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #37
BAD christian, BAD!

Eh. In terms of Blades, I think something along the lines of setting a flag when the party hasn't rested and slowing/cursing the party at the beginning of each outdoors combat where they're fatigued would be nifty. Special encounters indoors would call a global special to do the same thing, and dungeons would call it via a town timer. This could also allow for interesting special spells/potions/scrolls.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #38
Oh, hello TM. I'm not as evil as I used to be... or maybe I'm more evil (depends on how you rate me...) I think you've blocked me on AOL--that, or you're never on anymore. Anywho...

If the novelty of the BoA can keep my attention long enough, I may be able to make a good scenario. I sure hope it does. I certainly have enough time right now.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #39
I'm still on, and I don't THINK I have you blocked. Are you still using Byzantine Jones?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages