8th Contest Comments Up!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: 8th Contest Comments Up!
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #0
Secrets Revealed!

Really, a lot of other parts of my website need cleanup/mainteanance/updating, but I'll get to that later. Now is your chance to find out the results of the contest.

For the scenarios, they all have a BoE pic on one page and a BoA pic on the other page. The BoE pics for BoA scenarios and vice versa were assigned by me. Also, the MoC image on its seperate page and the EoR image on the list are both borrowed from other sites, I forgot to upload them.

I'll get to the computation of the final results at a later date. Utilities will be up when judged.

PS - if you don't like the graphic representing you, ask me to change it (provide the new one!) and I will. Requests to change other people's graphics will not be granted.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 09:08: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #1
Originally by BainIhrno:

quote:
Now is your chance to find out the results of the contest.
Or at least, it would be if *i hadn't originally posted the e-mail address and password before editing it out. :P

Everything looks good, except that Dikiyoba would like the scores in the seven point range to be a different color (dark blue, maybe) so they stand out more.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 10:14: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Shouldn't this be linked to from the Lyceum? The last two contests were there, so it seems this one should be there as well.

Oh, and I think Tyran's graphic should be something Nethergate related, and Kelandon should be a slith or something.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
I rather like my graphic. Thanks Bain!

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
Perhaps we should also have an explanation of how the finals judging was done.

There are two phases, an ascending and a descending one.

The ascending phase starts with using the rankings of all of the judges who did not have a scenario in the finals. These rankings are added together and the scenario with the highest score (hence least preferred) is eliminated. If the scenario eliminated had an author that was also a judge, his/her scores are used in the subsequent rounds. This process continues until one scenario remains, this scenario is the winner.

Now begins the descending phase. All judges without a scenario in the contest and the winner (if he/she is a judge) has their scores used. The lowest ranked scenario is eliminted and declared 2nd (the 1st place has already been decided). If the eliminated scenario has an author that is also a judge, his/her scores become eligible for subsequent rounds. Scores are recomputed, the lowest score is declared 3rd. This continues until the one scenario remains in last.

For each round, a score is assigned depending on the rank received. 1st gets 1 point, 2nd gets two, and so on. These two scores are averaged and the final ranking is determined from this score, low scores are better. Note that all ties are broken with a the cumulative preliminary round.

Although this seems somewhat confusing, it did allow for the opinions of eight judges to be heard as opposed to four. The elimination scheme was used to limit the say that a judge had on the fate of his/her scenario.

Both the ascending and descending scores had pretty much the same result. The only exception is 3rd and 4th place being switched. This shows the judges had a lot of consistency on average in their rankings.

Bain, a few corrections, I believe I did adjust my scores later on as allowed this time. Kel did as well. Minor suggestion about the final results. Perhaps they could be put in tabular format for ease of reading.

Otherwise looks good. Thanks Bain!

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:16: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #5
For reference, the ones I have up are the new ones. I just ignored the old ones, as they're 'incomplete.' I might put the old ones up later.

As for the Lyceum, I do have a link there, but it still makes more sense here (in my opinion) because:

1) Judging took place here, not at the Lyceum.
2) These forums are more popular at the current time.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:19: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
A minor point, I did raise Exodus' score to a 7.9. This is correct on the score by scenario, but not on the score by judge page. I don't see any other flaws. Once again, good work.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:25: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #7
It's fixed now.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:26: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
7.83 / 7.83
Wow. I'm incredibly average. :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
Bain, care to put up a breakdown of how the finals judging was done as well as a table? The rankings by themselves don't mean a whole lot.

Here are the scores in a table, in the order I recorded them:

Laz Tyrn Eph Red Bain TM Sln Gzo
================================================================
Dilecia * 2 4 6 5 2 5 4
Echoes 1 3 1 1 1 * 1 1
Embers 4 1 * 4 2 3 3 2
Exodus 6 8 5 7 7 7 8 5
TFS 5 6 -- -- * 6 4 8
Magus 2 5 2 2 6 1 7 3
APF 7 4 6 5 3 5 6 6
Rats 3 7 3 3 4 4 2 7

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 16:35: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #10
I can get it done, but not right now. I might be able to get it up in a few days.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 16:46: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
I'm actually pleased to know my score is average, and not below a 6.0. But what I find even nicer, is the fact that I can finally see what made the judges give me this rating, for I didn't really get much feedback about my scenario's problems and such.

It's nice to know one's scenario is better than one thinks it is.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

quote:
7.83 / 7.83
Wow. I'm incredibly average. :P

Actually, this is extremely misleading. Tyranicus, your scores were among the least average and the most extreme out of everyone's.

While the values Bain listed for deviation from the average and interesting and useful if you're looking to see if someone was too positive or too negative overall, but they are very misleading because they measure directionality (above or below the average) and allow directionality to average out. I just did something similar, but I adjusted it to ignore directionality. Instead of adding together all the judge scores and all the averages, I compared the judge score and average score for each scenario, then took the average of those numbers. The results are more telling:

Average Deviation from Average Scores by Judge

Judge Average

Salmon 0.20
Lazarus 0.22
Ephesos 0.22
Gizmo 0.22

Stareye 0.33
TM 0.38
Kelandon 0.44
Thuryl 0.54

Tyranicus 0.71
BainIhrno 0.77
I think Tyranicus's scores stood out to me because not only are they so extreme, but also they are accompanied by practically zero explanation. This was particularly true for Exodus, where Tyranicus's one sentence seemed very much in line with the other reviews, but his score was nearly two points lower.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #13
I think both Slarty and Bain's averages should be listed. Slarty's tell whether a judge deterred far from the consensus, while Bains tell whether a judge was particularly "friendly" or "unfriendly." (For Example, Bain is very unfriendly, TM is very friendly.) This way designers can lament how the luck of the draw and what judges they got stuck with is the reason they lost. :P

Oh, and you can see some of Tyran's longer reviews at the Lyceum; for some reason he felt it necessary to chop them down to one-liners for the purpose of the contest.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
Not every judge's scale is the same, of course. Ideal would be to have everyone judge the same category, although this can put a lot of strain on the judges and would limit the judging pool. Either way, we got a decent selection pool.

The preliminary rounds serve more as a filter for the final round which is judged on relative quality. These had quite a bit of consensus. Rats Aplenty probably had the most variability, but it's a humor scenario, so I can rationalize it on that basis alone. By and large, we had fairly consistent groupings of scenarios.

Pretty much we came out knowing who the winner was and everyone pretty much got about the same place without one judge really skewing the scores.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #15
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised by AGB. It seemed to get off far too lightly considering the judges it had.

Also, considering the fact that all it's problems stemmed from it being too damn short, I'm feeling rather good about my next offering. :)

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Stareye's comments are correct, and I think that speaks well for the judging methods that were selected by him (and whoever else helped organize this contest). WD.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by National Champion UF Gators-- Again:

Bain is very unfriendly, TM is very friendly.
Quoted for sheer hilarity.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
Like I said from the beginning, my scores have been submitted and you can stop the judging.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.