I'm recycling this thread. Again.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I'm recycling this thread. Again.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
Could someone please point me to a working example of a script giving character(s) a dread curse?

[ Friday, December 09, 2005 02:12: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
Bahssikava. Final fight.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #2
Thanks, TM.

Alright, it seems that my code was working and BoA is just being cruel to me. Why do all the stats display as lower, including the Dread Curse stat? Is that normal, or is it a bug of some sort?

[ Tuesday, December 06, 2005 20:19: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
It's a purely cosmetic bug in BoA. Ignore it. Dread Curse still works as it should, even though it says you have 0 levels of it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #4
Consider this extract from the Blades of Avernum Editor Appendices:
quote:
void set_state(short new_state) - Changes the state of the script to new_state and immediately stops running the script. Has no effect in a dialogue script or in the states INIT_STATE, DEAD_STATE, or other predefined state types (except START_STATE).

void set_state_continue(short new_state) - Exactly like set_state, except that it doesn’t stop running the script.
Now that seems all well and good, but the script that I have been working with over the last two days says otherwise.

The following code worked with my script. Am I missing something here, or is this delightful occurance another one of the esteemed Mr. Vogel's "undocumented features"?
beginstate SEARCH_STATE;
set_state_continue(3);
break;
If this is not a bug, then I am begining to believe the documentation has more information incorrect than it has right.
If this is a bug, I would prefer that it not get fixed: this functionality can save me plenty of trouble.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Yeah; the documentation is really misleading about what the difference actually is between set_state and set_state_continue. As far as I'm aware, set_state_continue working regardless of the state it's called in is correct behaviour. I'm not actually sure when you'd ever need or want to use set_state instead of set_state_continue.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
You want to terminate the current script yourself rather than letting BoA do it automatically when it reaches the end?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
I'm still wondering why you would ever have occasion to put anything other than a break; after a set_state call, thus making it a moot point. :P

[ Wednesday, December 07, 2005 16:24: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
Ahem- see floor 7 of Grenze.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #9
Damn you Vogel, can you get anything right? G768.bmp - the ladder graphic has 3 off-white pixels.

[Asbestos suit]
Really, I thought that this sort of incompetence was the realm of the lesser artists within the community's custom graphics department.

And with that, I've probably alienated at least some the community's custom graphics department. For those who persist in using JPEG's, I have two words: LOSSLESS JPEG. I am ever so tired of having to white out pixels.
[/Asbestos suit]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
G768.bmp - the ladder graphic has 3 off-white pixels.
I only found 2.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #11
There are two pixels next to each other between the rungs of the ladder, and a single pixel somewhere near the top.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
Alright. I didn't zoom in, so I thought the 2 pixels were one pixel.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
We've had the discussion about lossless JPEG before. The JPEG 2000 standard (which supports lossless compression) isn't well-supported, and regular JPEG at 100% quality isn't lossless. Just say no to JPEG.

GIF is hardly better, though, especially if your image editor spontaneously decides to use dithering to turn a perfectly good white background into a mess of white and pale grey. PNG is the way of the future.

[ Friday, December 09, 2005 14:54: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #14
I know what you're saying Thuryl, it's just that I tend to trust people as far as I can throw them. I'm certain that people will continue to ignore commonsense, even with the forums' moratorium on using the JPEG format.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #15
Two bits of miscellaneous garbage first:
(1) I just realised that I'd probably have half my current post count if the forums came with a 'Bump Thread' facility. Said facility would be more othan abuse than not though.

(2) I thought passwords were supposed to be case sensitive? UBB didn't seem to care when I wrote all lower case, though. I tried twice just to be certain.

Now, to my actual question... which of the following two quoted pieces of information is correct?

quote:
From the Blades Of Avernum Scenario Editor Instructions:
Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199.
quote:
From Dealing with the Dead's tbasedlg.txt:
// This is the dialogue for this town.
// You can use states numbered from 1 to 199.

I notice that Kelandon's Bahssikava says from the same thing, but 'from 1 to 99'. I have the very strong feeling that the official documentation is actually right for a change. And what Jeff wrote in tbasedlg.txt erroneously mentioned states, instead of nodes.

Or am I confused here? Are both correct and you can have nodes from 0 to 199, but a particular node's state can only range from 1 to 199?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #16
You can use up to 199, though I'm surprised if you actually have a use for that many nodes, since as far as I know, the longest dialog script anyone has actually used yet was around 90 nodes.

As far as I know, the state can be any positive integer within reason.

'Dealing with the Dead' ? That just has an odd ring to it.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #17
shrugs shoulders...

Diplomacy with the Dead, Dealing with the Dead, what's the difference? Close enough.

@Niemand:
Thanks for the confirmation on the nodes/states thing. I thought the doc's were right for once.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Literally all of my scripts are copied from a base that came originally from one of Jeff's scripts, so if they contained errors, my scripts will duplicate the errors.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #19
Normally Jeff uses the 0-?(255) counting system for every Spidweb game, so why not there!? :confused:

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

You can use up to 199, though I'm surprised if you actually have a use for that many nodes, since as far as I know, the longest dialog script anyone has actually used yet was around 90 nodes.
I'm pretty sure I used well over a hundred nodes in Grimson in Backwater Calls and I wasn't even trying. So I'm pretty sure I'll be crying about how there aren't enough nodes allowed per town in the future.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #21
Does BoA hate me, or something? I've tried:make_town_hostile();set_crime_tolerance(1);
THEN Committing murder.set_crime_tolerance(1);
THEN Committing theft.set_crime_tolerance(1);
change_crime_level(2);set_town_status(current_town(),2);
In every case, town_status(current_town()); has only returned a zero.
sigh.
This one is just ****ting me.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
The town_status() call is partially broken. You have to call town_status(-1) to return the status of the current town, and you can't use it to return the status of a town that the party isn't currently in.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The town_status() call is partially broken. You have to call town_status(-1) to return the status of the current town, and you can't use it to return the status of a town that the party isn't currently in.
Unless you use town_status(-1) while outdoors, in which case it returns the status of the last town you were in.

--------------------