Script ProofReader

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Script ProofReader
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #0
Can someone give me a link to where i can download a program to proofread script? I'm assuming it exists because Jeff must have one, and I think I've seen a post referring to one. I've poked around in some links, but only found sample scripts. Any suggestions on the best one (for windows) and how to use it would be appreciated.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The script-checking utility you've likely been reading about is Alint, which is only available for Mac OS X. (Unfortunately, Khoth's site seems to be down at the moment, so you can't even get that.)

Why do you say that Jeff must have one? I'm sure he's capable of proofreading and testing his own scripts. And since you'll eventually need to test your scenario the old-fashioned way anyway, Alint can only do so much.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Alint is far, far better than the built-in compiler, though. And UA did a Windows port of the command-line version of Alint, which someone ought to have, although I don't.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah I saw Alint, and the sight was down (I think I found the link at your site actually). Did you say it was only for Mac, because in that case it doesn't help me much.
Anyway I just figured that if you spent hours writing code, and then have to look over it line by line for a mistype, you would eventually write something to do it for you. Its his job after all. I don't really know what im talking about.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by StryveCOR:

Did you say it was only for Mac, because in that case it doesn't help me much.
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

And UA did a Windows port of the command-line version of Alint
You'd have to work with DOS, I think, but it does work on Windows. Well, as far as I know. Someone... uh... possibly Micael might be able to tell you more.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 2796
Profile #5
Hi,
I have a zip file "alint091.zip" which is 56.0 KB in size.
The zip contains 5 files: alint.exe, install.sh, uninstall.sh,and two "Rich Text Format" files: readme and commandline.

If you would like a copy of the zip file from me, just
email me at: "gcmaxon at verizon.net" with your
e-mail address and I'll forward a copy to you.
(I just hope it is "OK" to do something like this?, because the files are not mine.)

Besides which I don't have own a "Mac".
Oh well I guess you cannot have everything.

gcmaxxon

--------------------
quote:
" He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the
Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink."
---The Hobbit
pg21

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
I forgot to include a license saying it was okay. Yes, you can distribute it, modify it or whatever.

And my site is down until I get round to finding another host for it.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

You'd have to work with DOS, I think, but it does work on Windows. Well, as far as I know. Someone... uh... possibly Micael might be able to tell you more.
Oh, so that's why whenever I tried to open Alint the screen just blinked and nothing happened... Oh well. I wish someone would have told me before I e-mailed Overwhelming... Then again, he did tell me it was working perfectly, so when it didn't work again I assumed he was just being his usual self.

Moral of the story: Overwhelming has a version of the Windows Alint. I don't know if it works yet, though.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #8
You have to open a cmd.exe window, and run it from there. If you just double-click it, it will start up, finish and Windows will helpfully close the window without giving you a chance to read the output telling you what you're supposed to do.

I still have everything, so people can email me for it if they want.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
I can host it in the interim if you like.

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
Thanks. I've sent it by email.

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #11
http://overwhelming.squarespace.com/tools/

He's already got it up. Alint, Mac and PC version. Also some other interesting tools. And as far as I can tell, the PC version does work (from cmd, of course).

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
And this is where I put it. Over's missing a couple of files.

[ Monday, September 12, 2005 11:35: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #13
Thanks, Kel.

Overwhelming: if you're reading this, please tell me when you put my things up for download. Anyhow, I'd like you to make the versions clear (0.9.1 for the Mac version, 0.9.0 for the PC version). Also, more importantly, provide a link to the source. I don't want people to download it without realising that source is available. (don't bother about the processed source one, but link to the other one (see the page Kel put up)). Incidentally, there is a slightly GUI Mac version now.

To anyone with a PC and a compiler: It'd be great if you could get version 0.9.1 to compile, and thereby get me an up-to-date Windows binary. It'll probably need a few tweaks, but it shouldn't be anything major (ask me by email or AIM)

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

You have to open a cmd.exe window, and run it from there. If you just double-click it, it will start up, finish and Windows will helpfully close the window without giving you a chance to read the output telling you what you're supposed to do.
Okay, so I've decided to try to work Alint. And I don't even know what a cmd.exe window is, not how to open one. Anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #15
Okay..

There is a better way of doing the following, but I don't know what it is since I'm not a windows user really, so I'm taking the lazy way out..
Move alint.exe into the folder that the scripts you want to check are in.

Go to the start menu, then run. Type "cmd" in the box, and press okay. A black window with white text, that you can type into, should come up.

Type the following into the box:
cd "C:\Games\Blades of Avernum\Blades of Avernum Scenarios\My Scenario"
Then press return.
(not exactly that, it was an example replace the path in there with the path to where your scripts are)

Now you can type "alint.exe script.txt" to check the file "script.txt". To check all script files in the folder, type "alint.exe *.txt" (first make sure that there are no text files in the folder that aren't script files).

Any friendly Windows programmer feel like wrapping it in a GUI shell like I did for the Mac?

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #16
Hi. Sorry about only replying now (I've been away).

Check this link.

Also, added tool versions and added the source and non-command line version.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Not I:

quote:

Okay, so I've decided to try to work Alint. And I don't even know what a cmd.exe window is, not how to open one. Anyone feel like pointing me in the right direction?

1. Extract Alint.exe to the folder where your scripts are located.
2. Click "Run" in the "Start" menu.
3. Type "cmd", without the "".
4. Type "cd\", without the "".
5. Type: cd "c:\YourScriptFilesPath\", WITH the "".
6. Type "Alint -v yourscriptfile.txt", without the "". Example: alint -v t12draco.txt

You can omit the -v parameter, or use others. Just type "alint" alone, to see available comands.

[ Saturday, September 17, 2005 16:19: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #18
You might also be able to run it with a DOS emulator, something like DOSBox... but that probably gets more complicated than it's worth.

Also, you don't need some of the commands you listed. Assuming Blades is on your c: drive, then once you start cmd just type
cd\
cd\whatever\ (whatever being the path to where you put alint)

I bet you'd find it easier to put Alint in c: but not in any folders. Then move your script there to test, meaning that once you start the cmd you just type
cd\
alint script.txt

After you complete the check, move the script back to your folder.

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
After putting in the hole path and what was described, I get a message, saying "Windows can't find file "cmd" or file "cd\". What am I doing wrong?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #20
Hummm... I forgot to say... After each "type" instruction, you should press the "Enter" key...

Example:

3. Type "cmd", without the "", and press the Enter key.

--------------------

--------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #21
Now I did get as far as where it does run the program, but then I can't get it to check something. I'm very bad at command lines. All I really understand is Avernum or basic script. Could you tell me exactly what to do, please?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Now I did get as far as where it does run the program, but then I can't get it to check something.
Precisely what goes wrong?

--------------------

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #23
I don't see how can I explain more directly. :(

Did you do this:

1. Extract Alint.exe to the folder where your scripts are located.

?

Alint.exe must be in the same directory where your script files are. Also, if the scripts have no error, nothing appears, so that's ok. Try introducing an error in your script and check again, just to see if alint detects it.

--------------------

--------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #24
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Now I did get as far as where it does run the program, but then I can't get it to check something.
Precisely what goes wrong?

I get the main menu of alint, but then I can't get it to check something. When I enter a commandline to check some file, it says the file doesn't exist.

What I was thinking of, is some sort of a step by step guide of what to do, like you did earlier, but then really exactly what to do. Also what to press (like you said press enter after cmd, but what exactly do i do after that?).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages