Wish list for BoA

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wish list for BoA
Apprentice
Member # 3180
Profile Homepage #0
Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is this : we all have now at least a 15 inch monitor or even better, right? Those monitors can display up to 768*1024 pixels, right again?
So why not give a little more space on screen to the game? If you had a - let's say - 600*800 playing area, it would be more comfortable and should also look more professional.
The graphics need no change, just the size of the window. imagine the advantage of it : a better view of the battle field, no need to scroll to find your ennemies (sometimes I had to run around in circles to find the last enemy hiding off screen) and in town, a better way to know where you are.

Another thing that could be nice is a way points system like in D2, this to avoid loosing time wandering between towns. One town/one WP (I often forget where a town is, or in which town a quest started, so imagine the mess with several quests going along).

Two weapons is useless, I like it, but it has no reason to exist if it unbalances the game.

Another cool feature would be an empty slot in the PC slot to keep a summoned creature in the party. I mean here a useful one like a familiar for a mage.

Maces and swords? Once again, useless if a mace is not better against undead, I'll never use it.

New spells? Well, I liked the idea of the nether spells in Nethergate. The fact you CAN NOT have them with the editor is really nice. You have to FIND those spells and they shall remain mystery if not.

Something that offers a decent protection for the magic users would be nice, it might be rare and/or expensive, but definitly it should exist. Having to take of your armor to cast light or open lock is really frustrating. Of course, as BoE allowed us to create items, I suppose I still can create this... Anyway if encumberance affects a mage, it should also affect a thieve. :P

--------------------
P.Wan
www.cosmicinvaders.com
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
1. Jeff is unlikely to program a new window. Besides, being able to see farther would make the game slighly easier.

2. If scenario designers want to have quicker means of transportation, they can add that themselves. It's not difficult.

3. Two weapons will not be included.

4. Maces can be included, but they will still have the graphics of either swords or polearms and be treated accordingly.

5. There won't be nether spells, although some designers may make special 'spells' that may work even better in BoA than they did in BoE. There will be two new spells, though.

6. Designers can make any equipment they wish. If you don't find what you want, you can make your own scenario just to give your party that item. And since the sneaky skills don't really require much dancing around, just manual dexterity, encumberance shouldn't matter much.

—Alorael, who doesn't think a wish list will do much good now. First, Jeff is probably significantly into the programming now. Second, he doesn't like our suggestions anyway.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3173
Profile Homepage #2
All I would like to see is the ability to drop items where you wish (cabinets, crates, bookshelves...), and the ability to change the names of the months and year in your scenario. It could add a lot to the plot and would make many scenarios more unique, at least in one respect.

--------------------
Though we may fall, others will rise.
"Shine on you, Crazy Diamond!" - Mr. Burns in reference to Pink Floyd.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
Alorael is right about the wish list. It's useless you even mention what we want (now or ever :P ). The window issue is a bit frustrating, but we've dealt with it with all the game so far, one more won't hurt.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by retroppus bewredips:

All I would like to see is the ability to drop items where you wish (cabinets, crates, bookshelves...), and the ability to change the names of the months and year in your scenario. It could add a lot to the plot and would make many scenarios more unique, at least in one respect.
I heard that Jeff has already said yes to that and is puting it in BoA. Just check my post about that. I forgot the exact name, but it had something to do with it.

OK found it. I brought the post to you-
quote:
Originaly written by The Almighty Doer of StuffI had sent him an email with Necris Omego's idea quite a few weeks ago, actually, after he suggested it in a topic, if anyone remembers. He said he will put in the ability to drop items on adjacent spaces and put things away if he has time.

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 07:41: Message edited by: FFX2000 ]

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Join it and get me some cash, and have fun!
Warrior
Member # 1892
Profile #5
In response to wynydis's post:
"And while I'm dreaming, I Think I'd like a pony..." -Calvin and Hobbes

--------------------
One more time,
For old times sake,
The Hammer will come
To Make Spammers Shake.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #6
Wow. Funny guy.

Really.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
I almost laughed. Then I realized I was supposed to be washing the car, and that took my happiness straight away...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #8
I thought this was a wish list not Comedy Central... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #9
My biggest wish for BoA - that the New Scenario released by Jeff goes more into the details of the planet/the Empire's history/something significant to the Avernum universe. Like Za-kazi run- sure, it's deemed by many to be the worst thing Jeff has ever released professionally, but it goes into the post-Avernum 3 state of Avernum. Namely, the Second Slith War. Sure, the Fourth Scenario will be chalked full of uniquely BoA features, but seeing something important happen or revealed would be nice.

Your BoA anticipating maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #10
I'm definatly going to have to agree with you there. We need more information on the Empire and it's lands!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
*cough*

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001052

Go down to my post.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
Hah Drakey, I'm aware of that but I meant in a playing form. I realize I should have been more specific. Yea I'm quite aware of the history of this "universe". My scenarios will actually show my version of some bits of history. WHAT I MEANT was that I wanted to see how other users interpreted this grand-scale place of wonder. Sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #13
*cough* Funny... I wonder if other users will even worry a whole lot about history, I like gameplay better, I like to have fun fighting strong monsters and stuff, history usualy bores me...*cough cough*

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
Well that's you. Some of us prefer to play role-playing games as, amazingly, role-playing games. Not just action games. Don't get me wrong, I love action games. But to me, an RPG has to have much more depth than how much damage my sword is going to do. And usually, a living, evolving world helps to create that feel of... uh... something...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #15
Yes.....BoA unarguably needs the 'something' that you speak of. What would be great is scenarios that encourage us, the consumers, to think, and then develop those scenario ideas into our own scenarios.....or something. You get the idea.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by [E.E.P.:
Karzoth]
Well that's you. Some of us prefer to play role-playing games as, amazingly, role-playing games. Not just action games. Don't get me wrong, I love action games. But to me, an RPG has to have much more depth than how much damage my sword is going to do. And usually, a living, evolving world helps to create that feel of... uh... something...
I don't mean it like that, I play RPG like RPG, that why I like RPG, but I just don't like a lot of boring useless info about a fake world...If the history is interesting, then its a whole ndifferent story... but I just don't like useless boring stuff like you hear in school every day.. I get enough of that crap.

[ Thursday, July 10, 2003 05:05: Message edited by: FFX2000 ]

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #17
But that is what RP is.....getting immersed in the worlds so that they become more real.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #18
Exactly. And maybe it's just me, but "boring" history has never been boring to me. I love history. It was always my favorite subject.

And I've just had an idea... Jeff should write a book or something about the history of his world. An in depth book. I would definatly buy it!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #19
Same here... I wonder if he actually would...now that would be cool.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #20
Great. I think I'll e-mail him now about. If anything, just to see what he says.
TO ANYONE: If you'd like to see this happen (the book), e-mail him as well. More the people we get, the greater out influence.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #21
I like the idea of a book concerning the history of Exile/Avernum.  Whether or not Jeff would do this (not to mention the commercial viability of such a project) is anybody’s guess.

But — and I say this only half-jokingly — if anyone gets Jeff sidetracked on a project that delays the release of BoA, heads will roll! :mad: :D
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #22
Haha... only HALF-jokingly? He better do it after the release or I WILL kill somebody.

Edit: Oh yea, I already went ahead and e-mailed Jeff with the initial idea. He usually (ie. always) responds quickly so I should get his opinion on the matter by tomorrow. THEN we can discuss the little details.

[ Thursday, July 10, 2003 14:53: Message edited by: [E.E.P.] Karzoth ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
Or how about not at all. Imaginations are good, although they can sometimes go too far. *cough* Echoes.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #24
:( you like ruining people's days, don't you Drakey. Well I'm sorry you don't find a history book being a good idea. I really am. Well without Drakey's support, it's bound to never be done. Oh well... it was a good thought while it lasted...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!

Pages