I miss item descriptions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I miss item descriptions
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
I really miss the item desriptions that the previous Avernum games had. I would have liked to have seen a tag like:

it_description = "This is a short sword. It does a medium amount of damage."

I can understnad why they were taken out because storing the descriptions of custom items in the save file would make it to big. However the game could just not bother keeping that information in the save game file and instead read it from the corescendata2.txt file if the item is one of the standard items or in the scenerio initialization file if it is one of the custum items from that scenerio. If it is a custom item from a diferent scenerio then there would be no desciption.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
I'm not sure why it would even have to have the description removed- in items clearly from other scenarios, every other trait works just fine. I have no idea what difference this would be. I'd like Jeff to include descriptions. Just imagine- "This sword, wrenched from the wrathful fists of Gal-nath the Haakai Lord in the seventh circle of hell, etc..." Now, scenarios can become even more self-important. ;)

^_^

[ Sunday, March 28, 2004 12:22: Message edited by: Tentacle Monster ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #2
"Thong: both a peice of armor and a weapon, it can be used in melee to smack your opponent with, it only does little damage, but it's a weapon none the less"

Why? So people could do this?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
It's the principle of the thing. If I want to have everyone know quite clearly that the Great Sling of Boulder Hurling is purple, slimy to the touch, and constantly making embarrassing gurgling sounds, I should have the ability to inflict that upon players!

—Alorael, who also misses descriptions. Not terribly, but it's good to have a little sarcasm in items. And if the food is Avernite, players need to be warned that it's only borderline edible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #4
No item desciptions? Hmm. Bad.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #5
Yeah, that is fairly annoying. I would love to have the ability to give item descriptions; that way I could items a certain history or perhaps explain why this ring does that and whatnot.

Would this require changing the Avernum system much...? Or could it be implemented via editor open source? Or perhaps we could bug Jeff to do it.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.