Which scenario to play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which scenario to play?
Apprentice
Member # 7068
Profile #0
Hey folks,

I'm new to the game and confused by the ammount of available fan-made scenarios. I want to play something long-lasting, smart and satisfying like the original Exile/Avernum scenarios... what scenarios would you people reccomend for me to play through?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You'd probably like Bahssikava; it's quite large and set firmly in the Avernum continuity. Keep in mind that it's for a high-level party; unless you're an experienced player, I'd recommend starting it with a party that's been through all four of Jeff's scenarios.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #2
Anything made by TM has gotta be good. I highly reccomend his scenarios.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
A warning: a familiarity with the Avernum series will not prepare you for TM's scenarios. They are not like anything you have seen before.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7068
Profile #4
Also, all through the Avernum series I've been bothered by the fact that we are now stuck with the 4-person party model. Is there any kind of patch or a workaround that would enable us to have a proper 6 person party like in the good old Exile days? Thx...

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 06:15: Message edited by: Naomi ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Sort of. In several scenarios, NPCs join your party temporarily, giving you five and sometimes six characters.

The largest scenarios so far are Bahssikava and Canopy. Magus of Cattalon is also of a pretty good size and has met with good reviews. There are several other slightly smaller scenarios (A Perfect Forest, Backwater Calls, Druids of Krell, etc.) that you may enjoy, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
This doesn't really count, but my scenario which is currently in beta, is quite large. It has some connections to Avernum, but not quite big ones.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #7
By Naomi:
quote:
I'm new to the game and confused by the ammount of available fan-made scenarios. I want to play something long-lasting, smart and satisfying like the original Exile/Avernum scenarios... what scenarios would you people reccomend for me to play through?
Quoted for the benefit of all the smug BoEers.

:P

What's wrong is that ye weren't this excited when I turned ye back into a man! It ain't right!
- Durkon (OotS)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
For immersion, play Mad Ambition.

For a long, balanced scenario, play Magus of Cattalon.

For a long, detailed, interesting hackfest, play Bahssikhava.

For a long, boring hackfest, play Nephilim Mystery.

For the scenario equivalent of beating a sledgehammer against your head, play Undead Valley.

For a story and pretty landscapes, play Druids of Krell.

For something like A3, play Backwater Calls.

For broken weapons, spells, and enemies, play Canopy.

For no apparent reason, play Nine Variations on Point B.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 7068
Profile #9
Thank you all, people - you've been most kind and helpful...
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By Naomi:
quote:
Quoted for the benefit of all the smug BoEers.

:P

BoA does not yet have an equivalent to the Avernum games (which isn't to say that the scenarios that exist aren't good, they're just different). BoE has several.

I shall continue in my comfortable smugness. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Apprentice
Member # 7068
Profile #11
Am I detecting some kind of competitiveness between the local BoE and BoA (probably scenario designer) sub-communites?

Well, in that case - would some of the BoE scenarios be more rich in plot and more professionaly done then the BoA variety? Having in mind that BoE is an older game, with the tried and true engine of previous Exile games (not to mention a decent 6 person party!)...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

For a long, detailed, interesting hackfest, play Bahssikhava.
Long, heck yes. Detailed, sure. Interesting, well, the hackfest gets a bit boring after a while. I prefer the Avernum 4 hackfest or even the Canopy hackfest. I think the best things in this scenario are the fight with Nolagh-Khar, the puzzles, and a few cutscenes. At first I thought Bahss had an interesting gameplay, but after hours of mind-numbingly boring undead hackfest, well, I gave up and finished it with a god party.

EDIT : Also, for a short, humorous adventure that will make you think (in the intellectual, strategical sense, not in the philosophical sense), play The Cave of no Return.

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 23:45: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Naomi:

would some of the BoE scenarios be more rich in plot and more professionaly done then the BoA variety?
I think you'll find that there is a huge variety and although I vastly prefer the Avernum engine BoA does not even come close with the range of scenarios. I'm sure you can find something suited to your tastes in the range of BoE scenarios.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #14
Likewise. BoA doesn't have Alcritas, Shyguy, Brett, or Barcoorah. I hope that someday BoA will have the same quality of scenarios as BoE, but I think we have a long ways to go before that day comes. This is not a slight against BoA. BoA is a much more powerful scenario editor, but is much less user friendly and more time consuming. Various utilities, such as the 3D editor, have made the editing interface better, but it will be a long time before people can design scenarios the size of At The Gallows or AC3, or if they do, it is doubtful that they will have the same depth.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
If you do decide to try out BoE (and you should; it rocks), keep in mind that since recent scenarios are mostly designed by people who have played BoE for literally the better part of a decade, they tend to be hard -- and just because a scenario is designed for beginner-level parties doesn't mean it's any easier. Spears is a good scenario to start with; it's easy enough for a beginner but showcases many of the fancy technical tricks you'll find in more difficult scenarios.

Of course, there's always the character editor. Just don't ever admit you use it.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 01:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #16
This is true. Roots made me want to tear my hair out in frustration.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Wild Kinky Slugs:

This is true. Roots made me want to tear my hair out in frustration.
By the roots, no less! :P

*ahem* Seriously, though, I promise to make Idols a little easier. But only a little. :P

--------------------