I Want to Crush Your Dreams.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I Want to Crush Your Dreams.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #75
Wow, I have Stareye, Drakefyre and Kelandon helping me. I feel so... small. :P

Okay, I've decided to go for a compromise of sorts.
Advantages of Stareye's idea: Priceless moment when you wake up and realize that you just, by opening the gates, lost the fort for your own side.
Advantages of my idea: Being charmed the whole game makes it less obvious, so does fighting gremlins instead of soldiers.

Here we go:

Player STARTS OUT already charmed in fort (actually gremlin grove).

Player goes on minor mission (again, I think this is necessary but I can't use hunger since we're starting in the gremlin grove. Help? It could just be combat, but...)

That night, party has dream of a shadowy figure casting a spell on them, and of a huge wall that they want to get past but can't.

Next morning, the party is told that today is the final push against the gremlins. Commander teleports party inside the "gremlin" fort and mentally commands them to open the gates.

Fight gremlin guard who calls you a traitor as he dies. Party opens gates even so.

"Soldiers" stream in through the gates, slaughtering all in their path. "Gremlin" mage appears behing you and casts an unknown spell on you. You black out just slow enough to see him slain by an arrow.

Dream/Vision Sequence: We revisit the wall and the stranger casting a spell on you. You then see yourself in a dimly lit prison, covered in chains. The chains shatter, and you see a gremlin and your commander laughing at you. Then they merge into one gremlin.
Back to the wall, but this time, there's a door. You walk through...
Everything becomes clear. The whole story. The gremlin mage ambushed you outside your fort, charmed you, and took you back. You see the dead remains of soldiers that the gremlins killed, and a huge, wild party they're throwing in the center over their victory.

You awake in the cell with by grim determination to get to the center and avenge your comrades. Fight way out, final battle with gremlin mage. The End.

I consider this the final draft. I still don't know what the minor mission should be, and I'm open to any suggestions on details (scene that should be in vision, final fight idea). I reserve the right, though to reject any idea.

I'm going for an atmosphere similar to the juicy parts of Tomorrow or Emulations. Any suggestions, anyone? Anything not clear?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #76
For the minor mission, perhaps a simple fetch quest to the basement or something. Keep it inside the fort — you want the player to become familiar with the surroundings as being normal, so that when the surroundings mutate into something else, it feels horrifying, right?

Sounds good, though. Time to start planning how to make it (what kind of layouts for the towns, names and personalities of characters, etc.).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #77
Sounds pretty good. I agree with Kel, make it something simple. Maybe even kill a "gremlin" infiltrator for them.

quote:
That night, party has dream of a shadowy figure casting a spell on them, and of a huge wall that they want to get past but can't.
This might be a bit too obvious. I wouldn't just chalk this up to a normal dream as it gives way too much away about the motives of the Gremlins and what happened.

Perhaps the party sort of comes out of it in a daze, dreamlike state (the party thinks they are dreaming) where they are wandering around a Gremlin Grove, perhaps even killing some Gremlins. A gremlin sees them and casts a spell on them and they "wake up" back in their beds. They conclude that they must be dreaming about the oncoming attack. Convine the player that the "dream" is what will be rather than what "was".

quote:
You awake in the cell with by grim determination to get to the center and avenge your comrades.
Revenge is a strong motive, especially for a nameless, faceless party that is undeveloped. Personally it would make me a bit uneasy to just be told I should take revenge for people that I (the player now) have never even met.

Perhaps keep some of the soldiers still alive. Gremlins are hedonistic folk and would probably keep some captives to jeer and torture. Rescue is a lot easier to swallow as it goes to the premise that the party is noble and generally good, which is almost universally accepted as the alignment of a nameless party.

[ Thursday, January 12, 2006 16:08: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Personally it would make me a bit uneasy to just be told I should take revenge for people that I (the player now) have never even met.
Well, that's the point of having the first few scenes actually in the fort: the player gets to meet the people that the party already knows.

But I agree that your point about rescue vs. revenge is a good one to consider anyway.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #79
Uh, Kel? The first few scenes aren't in the fort; They're in the gremlin grove that is perceived as a fort.

Stareye: It like those ideas. Rescue seems much better than revenge. I'm trying not to fall into the trap of telling the party what they feel, rather than them feeling it. I like the "awaking" idea too.

First mission: I like inside the fort, and I like killing a "gremlin" infiltrator. I'll go with that, I think, but I'm still open to suggestions.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #80
Well, *i, I'd say it's about halfway done, and I only got to work on it in August and September. I should be able to have more free time in March and begin working on finishing it. :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Well, *i, I'd say it's about halfway done, and I only got to work on it in August and September. I should be able to have more free time in March and begin working on finishing it. :P
Wait, is this RiB we are talking about here?

:P

And when you say March, do you mean March '06?

And if so, do you mean 2006? :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by WonkoTheSane:

Uh, Kel? The first few scenes aren't in the fort; They're in the gremlin grove that is perceived as a fort.
Wait, did I misunderstand you? What the player is seeing is the normal, original fort, right? That's how the player would be familiar with the characters who then appear in the gremlin grove. Right?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #83
What the player sees are the characters in the actual fort, yes. Charming uses the subject's mind to make convincing illusions. Still, it's a lousy way to meet someone.

Question, Drakey: When did you start working on RiB? Or do I not want to know...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by WonkoTheSane:

Question, Drakey: When did you start working on RiB? Or do I not want to know...
It started as a BoE scenario. He promised it for the... what... the Third Contest, I believe? Anyway, the story is here.

[ Friday, January 13, 2006 11:33: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #85
I wasn't talking about RiB, which started in 1999/2000 as a BoE scenario, was destroyed by two HD wipes, somewhat streamlined and reincarnated, and then 'destined for BoA'. For a long time it was the only scenario idea I liked long enough to keep working on for more than a week or so. Then I came up with the idea for the scenario I'm 'currently' working on, which amazingly has also kept my interest for a long time. Unfortunately, my life has gotten incredibly busy at the same time (I'm sure Aran could do a graph of my posting statistics), so it was put on hold, but it looks like things are clearing up somewhat.

And as for Wonko's scenario, you start out as charmed and in the the fake fortress, aka the gremlin grove. I suppose you could do it the other way too, but that's not what he was intending.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #86
If no one else has any suggestions, I guess I'll start work. Thanks for the help guys!

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #87
Okay, I've created my outdoors, and one town. The thing is, I want to populate it with bad guys and to be honest, I suck at it.

I placed some rats in for my level one party to try their hand at, and they dispatched them incredibly easily. So, what I guess I'm asking is how do I make combat situations harder for the player - I know how to make tough bad guys after reading the article, but I need interesting battles - something more than just picking them off one at a time.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #88
When I make a tough battle, I first ask myself for what party I make the battle. I presume you want a level one party here, as you said that in your post?

Assuming you are talking about a level one party, I advise the following things, although most of these tips you can use with all party's:

- In what situation/evnironment is the party in? A ruined city? A remote cave? You said something about a city in your post. If it is ruined, what ruined it? bandits? Soldiers, or was it the elements, after the people left the city and animals took the ruined city over. if the city isn't ruined, what sort of people inhabbit the place? Is it a bandit town? A hostile fort? try this sort of things, and that way you'll come to enemies that fit with their environment, and therefor won't make the wholke fight unrealistic (like a bandit in the most remote cave where you don't expect humans at all).

- Then, when you thought about what enemies you think would fit in the place the fight will be, think about what the enemy can do and can not do. The bandits example: is there a mage, or anly normal bandits? It will make them harder to beat and the combat more interesting, but is it realistic? that sort of questions. basically, what you now do is thinking of the enemy's ability's. mages make it all a lot more interesting, but can also make it to difficult. archers are also nice, but but they do have to fit in with the environment. Unless they make arrows completely of stone, it is strange to find archers there where there are no trees to make arrows from.

- next step: composing the battle. This step is only about where to place the bad guys. mages ussualy at the back, and warriors in front. same with archers.

- be sure not to put in to many monsters, or else it will still become boring if you have to beat 20 brigands and 1 archer. In three words: balance the fight. When you have set everything up, look at it again, and see if mosters are necessary. if not, take them away.

- the most important and final step: testing, but that is quite obvious.

I hope I helped you with this. It is the way I compose my battles ussualy.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #89
OKay, yeah, maybe should have been more clear, although I did mean in general.

This particular "town" is a swampy cave infested with rats. So I tried to place a few rats in, threw in one or two mung rats to deabilitate the party and added one or two lava bats further in.

The thing is, it's incredibly easy for my level one group (for which the party is intended) to dispatch them all by employing next to no tactics at all.

For instance, is there a way to get a group of the same monsters to attack one at a time, to stop the party rushing off behind a wall and attacking one-on-one?

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #90
Having random, unimportant monsters be a bit on the easy side is okay, especially for inexperienced players. I suggest saving the challenges for the more important fights.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #91
You could try two things:

- higher level mosters. Instead of the level 3 rat, the default one, make its level higher by putting the code set_creature_level(creature_number_what_level) (or so I think, better check that in the doc appendix to be sure of it) and making it, say, level 7. Maybe level 10 even, so even if he party manages to get to them one by one, the monster itself is harder to beat.

- more mosters that attack the party from affar. the party will have to get to monster, instead of the monster to the party, so the party will have to face more then one moster at the time.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Having random, unimportant monsters be a bit on the easy side is okay, especially for inexperienced players. I suggest saving the challenges for the more important fights.
Yeah, maybe. Actually the town isn't plot specific, but it fills in the background for the islands previous inhabitants... I ran with the idea that the island was inhabited before, but it doesn't go anywhere plot wise. Just adds interest.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #93
It would be cool if you would put in that cave a small sttlement, if there is any room. for an example, think of the Slime pit in Avernum 3, where there was a house in the caves. Maybe it is only me (or is it I?) but I love that sort of surprises.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #94
The cave does have a settlement of sorts in it's centre... theres a brick wall, and the party get flashed a dialog. For a non-specific thing, its quite elaborately done.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #95
Maybe a lava bat or a few mung rats can be on a ledge that separates them from the party so that the party has to use magic/missiles to kill them. But the party should eventually be able to get onto that ledge.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Spelling.

[ Saturday, January 14, 2006 09:38: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #96
Checking back in...

Nicothodes
iluvhorses
Slith Lord
Arachnid
dareva
PoD Person

And anyone else who has posted with interest on this thread: where do you stand? Have you been able to get to work? Are there specific things about town design or scripting that you need help with? Are there any other plot points you're struggling on?

We'd like to see as many scenarios get completed out of this as we can.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #97
I have a scenario I'm working on. It's a bit larger than recommended but it's a simple creation. I'm not planning on doing a huge scenario with new creatures, new graphics, fancy scripting, or anything like that. But it has an interesting story and there will be a lot of exploration and details that will hopefully keep it from being boring or repetitive. The only problem is I'm really busy right now so it won't be done anytime soon. Hopefully some day it will be.

At least Dikiyoba is working on it whenever Dikiyoba can spare the time.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #98
Im making a scenario 3/4 town's Im pretty much done with town 1 2 and 3, I haven't even started town four which is the second level for the large town, I have not yet written dialog that is for after town design Im still nitpicking the plot I have motivation for the baddy why he is there ? is he really bad ? what does he want ? Iv got all that but that's about it.

You know what really made me mad ? when I couldn't contain items in the big cauldrons I mean Iv got this cauldron And it very clearly has stew in it but is there any food in it nooo it's empty! what's with that Im very obsessed with my town design and that just Grind's my gears
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #99
You could always make a custom terrain with the cauldron graphic and the container property.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages