Any artists around?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Any artists around?
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #0
[This post has been rendered useless by the posters below.]

[ Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:12: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #1
I am mostly everything these days and that includes a cartoonist. I probably could make you some intro pictures for you, I am currently not way too busy. I am not willing to be part of your company as I am already manager of my own freeware game creator company with several (alas, idle) volunteers. As to display my graphical skill:

IMAGE(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/taranasoftware/Chrismecartoon.gif)

This is made with ClarisWork 4 (The equalence to paint for Macintosh) and I can draw with pencil and pen, too. If you are willing to let me volunteer for this work, feel free to send a mail with further information on "chessmasterz89(at)hotmail.com" without double quotation.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
I'm certainly not an artist, but I like drawing. here you can find some samples of my drawings. Just click on "first graphics page" and "second graphics page." These are creature graphics, but I coulkd also make other things if you wish. Just tell me what to make and how you want it (and also please when you want it to be finished).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #3
I'm not too great at drawing, but I wouldn't mind making a contribution. I can draw people (although highly stylized and cartoon-like) and I daresay I just drew something that resembles a cow. The only real DRAWback of accepting my assistance (heh... I'm so punny) is that it might take me a bit to get around to doing it. Like a week or two. Soo... yeah. I can ink the drawing, but per your request there'd be no color. (Which is fortunate because I can't do that very well.) Some examples of my "artwork" (and a screenshot from Neverwinter Nights) lie within the link here.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b34/Eldiran/

I drew these awhile back, especially the comic. I'm a bit more skilled now. And I've drawn cat-peoples and lizard-guys before, so a slith or nephil can't be that far off. ...I guess that's enough bragging for now.

I'd email you but I can't get to my email right now. Just post here or email me at s e a n@haydenaud.com if you want me to draw something.

...nice ClarisWorks drawing, by the way.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #4
Eagle: Check your email for more info.

Thralni: Answer me this, when was the last time you laid your hands on a pen and actually drew something, i.e you did not use a computer. If your answer is "Uh... maybe six years ago." Then I'd have better luck trying to brush up my own skills. I did draw something some five years ago.

Er... You don't see any of this offensive, do you? Because, no offence meant.

Eldiran: Your style is cartoonish and I have one picture in which I just don't see how that style would work out. I'll email you about it, seeing as I don't want spoilers leaking anywhere. (I'd do a rant about thieves and such but... I just woke up.)

--------------------
Get them here
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #5
You say you sent an e-mail to me, huh? Alas, I have not received it. Perhaps you misspelt my adress or met an error.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #6
Didn't get it, huh? I didn't get any errors. All I did was copy the email address you had written. I removed the quotation and placed an @ of course. Are you sure you wrote your address correctly? I'll try sending it again.

--------------------
Get them here
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

Thralni: Answer me this, when was the last time you laid your hands on a pen and actually drew something, i.e you did not use a computer. If your answer is "Uh... maybe six years ago." Then I'd have better luck trying to brush up my own skills. I did draw something some five years ago.

Er... You don't see any of this offensive, do you? Because, no offence meant.

Actually I do see it a bit as offensive, but never mind that. Is there something wrong with the graphic? If there is, tell me what so i can maybe change them. Don't think they are ready. Most of them are far from finished.

The last time I drew? Maybe yesterday during classes. I can't show you anything of what I make with pancil and paper, but its generally better then the graphics that are on the website (I'll say it again: they are FAR from ready).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #8
Eagle & Eldiran: I sent both of you another email. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Thralni: I think I'll just choose between Eagle and Eldiran if it's okay with you. Thanks for the offer anyway. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with your graphics. But if I may suggest something, you should pay a bit more attention to the perspective of the graphics. Those Senarti look a little... flat. Also you might want to consider replacing the black outlines of the Senarti 2 to a darker shade of white. Just a thought.

--------------------
Get them here
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #9
I'm an anime artist at 13 and i know a lot of ppl think i'm pretty good... i'll try and send you something? err i can scan it in but i'm compy challenged.. lol i dunt know if i can rip it to an email.. maybe with yahoo.. whatever.. well um...... so what exactly do you want? cause i CANNOT draw cows. cows= hehe no no. most animals i cant draw actually... but you know, i coudl draw some neato mage stuff, and err i dunno some guys with the chitin armor? and like some kick-ass monsters.. errr alrighty... see wat i can do

--------------------
.........Their Death is Inevitable...... and i'm their killer.......
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #10
Got the email. I'll be waiting for your decision.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #11
I'm going to send an E-Mail from Blackchobit1@yahoo.com simo sooo errr enjoy i hope you like.. i think it pretty neat lookin

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #12
ah yah by the way :P i dont really use my yahoo to often so err... if you have something to say bout it please not that you should send through the forum ;)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #13
I am betting my ass that most of the aspiring artists here are not old enough to buy beer(maybe even cigarettes) and at that age 99.999% of artists are not very good. Problem is that, amongst thier peers, they are probably considered wonderful and so when Smoo offers constructive criticsim, it seems offensive.

Trust me that he was being very KIND in his criticism. Send that stuff to a comic book company or even a small computer game company(ala Spiderweb) or some such and you will want to give up drawing completely when you read the reply from the art director.

When I was in my teens I think I was still copying other artists' works(John Byrne, Mike Zeck etc.) and not doing my own work. I NEVER traced or anything like that but I would freehand replicate other artists' renderings of various characters to the best of my ability and that was how I learned most of what I learned. Later I took classes and bought books by Burne Hogarth and the like. I even bought "Gray's Anatomy" just to study anatomy(which is like buying a bazooka to kill roaches when you are aspiring to be a comic book artist).

Years ago I was teaching workshops in dynamic anatomy and comic book illustration to teenagers who were basically in the same boat as I was(back when I was a teenager copying other artists).

The point of all this is that I did not listen to anybody who just said "You suck" to try and insult me but I listened to every bit of constructive criticsm I could and I took praise from non-artists with a grain of salt.

Becoming a good artist requires more than just spending inordinate amounts of time on a picture you are drawing. You must STUDY! One, two and three point perspective, shading & color(learn about reflective highlights, core highlights etc.), inking/embellishment(cross hatching, stipling etc.) and if you are planning to do people, animals, creatures and such(other than the 'Sunday funnies' styled cartoons) you must learn about anatomy. Skeletons, muscles and how these things operate and appear when they operate. A bicep of an extended human arm is quite different in appearance than a bicep of someone "flexing".

You must also study wrinkles and drapery/clothing and learn about "anchor points" and such.

Having said all that, I am too lazy and too unhealthy nowadays to put in the effort to produce really good artwork. I do the occasional flyer or CD insert artwork for local bands(VERY occasional) or sketch while waiting to see a doctor and some CRPG grphic tiles/icons, but that is it. So I won't be volunteering to assist Smoot myself.

[ Wednesday, November 16, 2005 06:42: Message edited by: SkeleTony ]

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #14
What do you want, Smoo? A cow and a human? Maybe more realistic like this?

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Apprentice
Member # 6361
Profile #15
much praise to tony! I am thirteen, i live in SanFrancisco, and i am very involvolved in the art seen here. I sing in the sanfrancsico boys chorus, and opera, and have toured asia, and europe (sang for john paul the second in the vatiken) and i also sing local hotels and stuff. (uually 200$ a gig. I didn't get here by praise either. we're talking rigorous non-praaising work. (2hr a day plusw 1hr of practising to be excact.) so im just agreeing with tony sletan guy, that if you want to get good at art, it isn't easy. btw, nice essay skaton man, very nicley structured.

--------------------
You must be willing to protect yourself, and what you cherish, no matter what the cost...
-Murtagh
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...
-Anonymous

Giants like Karkus- overload 'em with informationan' they'll kill yeh jus' to simplify things.
-Rubius Hagrid
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #16

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #17
Some of you might like this site. It has links to free 2D and 3D graphic design software.

http://artist-3d.com/10software/01free-downloads.htm
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

Eagle & Eldiran: I sent both of you another email. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Thralni: I think I'll just choose between Eagle and Eldiran if it's okay with you. Thanks for the offer anyway. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with your graphics. But if I may suggest something, you should pay a bit more attention to the perspective of the graphics. Those Senarti look a little... flat. Also you might want to consider replacing the black outlines of the Senarti 2 to a darker shade of white. Just a thought.

Its okay with me, i'm probably to busy already making graphics for somebody.

I'm glad though, that you told me what you don't like about my graphics. you said two things and both are correct. The Senarti 2 is very, very far from finished, and I haven't done anything with it for a long time. What you saw now of the Senarti 2 graphic, is maybe the first phase in its development: designing. In the end I hope it will look ten times better.

About the being flat you're also right. i tried with the other Senarti's already a bit to make them less flat in combat mode, but I'll have to do the same maybe in normal mode. Also, I'm planning to give the Senarti 1 and 2 graphics also a sitting graphic. The nicest graphics I myself find the Senarti mage and priest. Do you agree with that?

EDIT: I am actually old enough to buy beer. Its just that I'm less capable of drawing nice things on the computer then with pencil and paper. Also, when i read again what Smoo wrote, i can't figure out why exactly i was offended. maybe I had to high hopes...

[ Saturday, November 12, 2005 23:29: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #19
Kishoshin: Uh, I already sent you an email and I'd rather not repeat myself so check it out. But if you can't draw rats then just ignore the email.

Thralni: The priest and mage look nicer, I agree. Can't think of anything else to say right now.

spy.there: I didn't see the picture from your link but I got your email and sent a response.

Skeletony: When will Mr Proudfoot be adding your graphics to PoWS? :P (I seem to recall you had done something for it anyway.)

--------------------
Get them here
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #20
Smoo just letting you know i sent another email reply. :D thx for the feedback I like that mage to.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #21
Whoopsy! i forgot to put this in that e-mail, but if you liked the mage that much, i can take away the moon, stars, and lettering, and place the rats + skeleton on there....

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Kishoshin:

Whoopsy! i forgot to put this in that e-mail, but if you liked the mage that much, i can take away the moon, stars, and lettering, and place the rats + skeleton on there....
Are you now talking about the mage and priest i made? I strongly recommend not to alter it in any way before consulting me.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 6465
Profile #23
no have sent something else to smoo...

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #24
It's not like it's set to self-destruct in 30 seconds after you do.

Pages