What kind of designer are you and how serious are you about designing?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What kind of designer are you and how serious are you about designing?
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #0
Ok, I don't know if this has been asked before, but I just wanted to know.

[ Saturday, April 05, 2003 10:56: Message edited by: xxo ]
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #1
In response to the real question, I'd guess that I'm a story-based designer, but I like to make the combat challenging too. I guess that you can't help but do that if you're a member of the arena.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I'm an incompetent designer. I lose interest, lose the paper that has the list of SDF's and give up on trying to untangle them, or get swamped by unsquishable bugs and stop working on the scenario in frustration. My starting intent is usually to have several linear plot lines, somewhat like E1 and E2, only I try to have the plots interact more depending on how far you have or have not gone in each one. Oh, and I can't make decent combat to save my life.

—Alorael, who would classify Drakey as a suspense-based designer. There's a lot of buildup, but the resolution never seems to come. Ahem.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
I'm a... "start one, work on it really hard for a little while, then see that it will never come to your original aspirations so you cease work on it. then a year later you pick it up again, a finish it to perfection... only to find that the BOE community has fallen apart."

Um... answering the origination question, I like to make the user feel like real heroes, like they actually did something important. I kill their friends, but always leave that in-the-corner-minding-his-own-buisness-occasionally-giving-good-advice-guy to be the party's ultimate ally, and being a great friend to the end... where i sometimes like to kill him in a epic (yet sad...) battle.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #4
As far as BoE was concerned, my best description as a designer was "Building a lame n00bish scenario with unreasonablely overdone buildings/monsters/graphics only to drop them out of lost interest and come back later with new interest only to realize how lame the scenario actually is and trash it." Then the process repeats itself.

In terms of Avernum, however, my planned scenario for which I'm writing now works off a "Avernum Sequal premise" (very very dangerous) Basically I use an original baseline plot and use a great deal of oldskool Avernum characters, places, ect. The risk is tremendous because if you screw a character or reference up, you get torn to bits, but if you pull it off...

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #5
Have at least started three scenarios. (Four, if you count the one I threw together to show my younger brothers how to use the editor.) Only one actually released, and it isn't that great. (Read: Don't bother playing it. It isn't worth the time.) One of the ones I've started will probably end up being turned into a BoA scenario - I can't really finish it in BoE at the moment, due to the dissappearance of my notes, my current lack of access to my copy of BoE, and an intermittent shortage of free time.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #6
I started to do a scenario once, but I was trying too hard to do things that BoE just couldn't do. Plus I didn't have it planned properly. And I thought that the BoE community was non existent at that point, which didn't really encourage me. I did a few just to test out ideas like special spells and the like, but not with a story.

I have a few ideas in my head for BoA scenarios, which I may well make when itr comes out.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Started five scenarios, finished two, released none. Gave up on the three unfinished ones within days of starting due to loss of interest and/or finding out BoE couldn't do what I wanted it to do.

The other two could technically be regarded as "finished", I suppose, but both were buggy, plotless and generally an embarrassment. I lost most of my work on one of them in a HD crash, and was not exactly motivated to redo it. I later deleted the other in a fit of sanity.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Having just stumbled on this topic, I'd like to smack Alorael with Zaloopa.

I want to finish RiB, but CM4 is a giant, giant block in the way. Everytime I click on the editor, I say "Wouldn't CM4 be more fun?" and end up playing CM4 instead.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #9
we are the cheeky girls, we are the cheeky girls, you are the cheeky boys, you are the cheeky boys...

(that's how serious)
(and don't tell me you haven't heard that song)
On an ever so slightly more serious note, I sometimes make up large, epic maps on paper and never even get around to opening the editor to make them.

[ Sunday, April 06, 2003 09:29: Message edited by: Lemmings fre@k ]If you (in fact) haven't heard that song, ther should now be a link in my sig to a perfect specimen[/edit]

[ Sunday, April 06, 2003 09:29: Message edited by: Lemmings fre@k ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #10
quote:
I want to finish RiB, but CM4 is a giant, giant block in the way. Everytime I click on the editor, I say "Wouldn't CM4 be more fun?" and end up playing CM4 instead.
*Throws pen at Drakefyre*

WHAT THE HECK IS CM4?!

Giant, giant blocks need to be blown to bits with willpower. (Wait a moment, what am I saying?)

I have a delicate, refined, accuate, and sharp one in the making, but I'm grounded from the computer for the rest of the semester, so it won't be out til at least after BoA is out.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Plah:
*Throws pen at Drakefyre*

WHAT THE HECK IS CM4?!

Unless I am terribly mistaken, it is Championship Manager 4, a soccer management simulation.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #12
quote:
giant blocks need to be blown to bits with willpower
The giant block goes by the name of James. And you just don't blow little boys to pieces.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
And James likes his CM4!

Actually, I'm finishing writing it out on paper before I go back to the editor to rebuild my enthusiasm. I started yesterday, and CM4 time is going down. Also, I've been playing with an AirPort network, so once that's fixed I'll have a lot more time too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #14
Fiendish, isn't it, Drakey? *kicks his Airport*
Lemming Fre@k, if you ever bring that ungodly song onto the Spidweb board again, I will take a large hook and remove your liver with it. Anally.

Not that I want you to get the wrong idea or anything. I'm sure you're a wonderful person: that song bugs the hell out of me.
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #15
Ok, I still have no idea what that song is, even after going to that site...

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #16
A sucky song by the Cheeky Girls, who actually aren't that cheeky as they say..

Me as a desinger.. Hmm, I have started many scenarios, even finished one, but never were able to test it (someone register BoE for me!) and so I decided to delete the whole game. That's all in a nutshell. :P

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #17
:( Sorry. [please don't anally remove me from this site. i really dont' know whAt was wrong with me. [sobs uncontralloably :( :( :( ]] I'll never do it ever again! [hangs his head in shame] In fact, I'm not too keen on it either. But you do get the point about how serious I am, eh?
[ Thursday, April 10, 2003 08:26: Message edited by: Lemmings fre@k ]After contemplation, I have decided to remove that stupid link! (It's an animation on weebl and bob which plays the music at you.-weebl and bob, btw, is two egg-shaped people who rock around singing about pie. It's actually really funny!
Also, if you think I'm a nice guy, I think you're wrong![/edit]

[ Thursday, April 10, 2003 08:26: Message edited by: Lemmings fre@k ]
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #18
I finished 2 scenarios which were never released, only Drittz and Luz Piazuelo have played them, then I made another one which I deleted because I lost interest in it, right now I am trying to make another one, I hope it won't turn into a bad scenario. :(

--------------------
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : :: o`-, … I'm under your bed.