Scenarios

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Scenarios
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #0
I was recently contemplating making a scenario suggested for a new party, when I realized how few of them their are. It seems that the most popular ones are suggested for high level parties. It seems like a scenario where you start a new party would be easier to design and more interesting. Does anyone have any personal reluctance to start new parties, because i would like to hear why.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Personally, I prefer scenarios for lower level parties because I don't have any high-level saved games. Or medium-level saved games.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
A lot of people use the same party for every scenario. That means they'd use a level 70+ party even for your beginner scenario.

Also, I think the HLPM has made it easier for people to design scenarios for whatever level they want, so they do.

But if you want to design a beginning-level scenario, by all means, go for it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
I just thought a scenario where the creator can assume you just started would be easier. That way they can have a good idea of where the player should be level-wise, and set the difficulty and item levels accordingly. If you went through every scenario with a level 70 party then you really are just lookin at the dialog and scenery, you wont get much in the way of challenge.

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
I prefer starting with a new party for each scenario (I like to mess around with different structures and suchlike to stop it from getting boring), but if a scenario is actually designed for a new party it'll be way too easy for my liking. :P

Seriously, just go for it.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
I'm making at the moment a scenario for level between level 6 and about 12. I don't no yet if its possible for this party to defeat the creatures I made, so it may be a different result than I wanted at first.

Nut to answer your question: i think that there's a big problem with low level scenario's. and that is in my opinion, that whatever low level scenario you take, its always best to take VoDT. i started with a level 1 party and ended with a level 14 party! now, when you are finished with that, you want something higher up, so there is now use for scenario's for level 1 - 7, for example. The good thing however, is that you have much more choice when starting a second (!) party (Why did i say second? because most players of BoA start wih the demo, and end up playing VoDT!!)

But I say, do what you like. I'd rather create scenario's for mid-level party's (10 - 20). That's relatively easy and become's more interestin for yourself (Well, that's how it works for me).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
If you desperately want the player to use a certain party, for whatever reason, why not include one in the scenario folder. That way they don't have to use the HLPM, but still have the party you want them to have.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Except that then certain players will avoid your scenario because it has a pre-fab party.

No, you really can't win. Do whatever you want. Players will find some way to screw it up.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
If players do not play with the type of party you intend, it is only that player's loss.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
yes, its the players loss, but would you be happy if you've worked very hard on a scenario, only to see most people avoid it because of a pre-fab party? (Well, I would give it a try, but chances are big I would avoid it too).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

(Well, I would give it a try, but chances are big I would avoid it too).
This sentence makes no sense.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
What does that matter! I just got a mesage from Aran, saying most people leave their sanity at the door. (i don't have ont though...)

What I meant was, that i would give it a try, after probably avoiding it for a long time, untill all other scenario's are played and I don't have anything else to do.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #12
FYI, Leave your sanity at the door is a relic of Misc, which famously suffered a spontaneous existence failure as a result of idiocy levels reaching critical mass. Don't take it seriously.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Except that then certain players will avoid your scenario because it has a pre-fab party.

No, you really can't win. Do whatever you want. Players will find some way to screw it up.

Technically, you could run a whole list of calls to see if they're playing with a party you're happy with, and kick them out if they aren't.

This would mean that everyone who played the scenario would be playing as intended. In reality though, it's unlikely anyone would want to play it after being booted out 16 different times.

Edit: Mixed up my "theres".

[ Wednesday, August 10, 2005 06:04: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

A lot of people use the same party for every scenario. That means they'd use a level 70+ party even for your beginner scenario.

Also, I think the HLPM has made it easier for people to design scenarios for whatever level they want, so they do.

But if you want to design a beginning-level scenario, by all means, go for it.

Kel,

as I'm sure you know, a simple call in the start of the scenario can easily "kick out" a wrong level party, thus meaning that you would HAVE to start with a level 1 party.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #15
Putting in scripts to stop them from using a high level party seems pretty pointless. If a player was that determined they could just use the editor once they were in the scenario. The problem isn't forcing them, its whether or not they will accept it, and take your word that it will make the scenario more enjoyable.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Micael, as I'm sure you know, a player could simply delete that line of code and play the scenario anyway.

Whatever you can do, a player can get around it. Trust that your players will make reasonable decisions.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

Micael, as I'm sure you know, a player could simply delete that line of code and play the scenario anyway.

Whatever you can do, a player can get around it. Trust that your players will make reasonable decisions.

Yeah...

I haven't come up with a way to get around THAT yet. Even putting in HUNDREDS of lines of "invisible code" wouldn't really help, cause they'd just keep on looking until they found some real code.

Anyway, some people just can't be bothered to look for the right line of code and delete it, so it makes a FEW people do it.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)