Aarh me mateys, time for pirates and ships.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Aarh me mateys, time for pirates and ships.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
Hello,
I've always wondered about how ships were handled in Avernum. It would be good to see a few more ship graphics other than the little rowboat.
I was reading through the Encyclopedia Ermariana about the eradication of nonhumans. One sentence says that Nephilim fled the continent of Pralgrad as sailors. I wonder if there are any Nephilim pirates out there ready to raid the coastlines of the empire.
I also found in A Perfect Forest you were transported by ship to the island to explore which is very cool.
Michael Slack who wrote Cresent Valley and Promise Island uses a shipping theme. Apparently there are trading ports, lighthouses, and boat docks. In promise island you got to fight pirates which is kind of interesting.
There were also some other island, ship type scenarios. The Wreck of the Slug is another example from Blades of Exile.
I would like to see a picture of a large ship in Avernum, maybe even a chance to go above and below decks.
There certainly are enough islands around Avernum. The biggest being the Isle of Bigail. I am sure somewhere there is a pirate fortress or a couple pirate towns in Avernum.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
Yeah, I like that. Use a ship as a town, and/or elaborate on Avernum's sailing culture. It could be done, but I can't draw graphics.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Yeah, I like that. Use a ship as a town, and/or elaborate on Avernum's sailing culture. It could be done, but I can't draw graphics.
Well, we already have the wooden wall pictures. It can't be that hard to make floors which look like that.

That way you could have missions which you take a little rowing boat out of the main ship, and onto neighbouring islands.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
I always had kind of toyed with the idea of having my scenario start off on a ship, but then I moved it from an island to a secluded valley. Hence, little opportunity for ships.

It's a very doable idea.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #4
I think it would be possible to design a town graphic for a ship. You could add a lower level so you would have stowage and the upper deck. I could imagine if it was really large it could have three levels.

Basically you would go to the docks and pay a fee to go travelling to a specific location. You would walk to the end of the dock. You would be teleported to the ship. A dialog box would appear describing your journey. Then when you wanted to leave the ship you would take the small boat to various islands.

At some of the islands there would be ports where you could buy passage to other "ship" towns with slightly different designs.

It is just a thought.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Part of NK0P took place on a ship, as I recall. It wasn't a pirate ship, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #6
The scenario I'm making begins onboard a ship with two levels. I just used wooden floors, walls, and cliffs. Also, I used the mad monk graphic to make sailors.

[ Wednesday, May 25, 2005 15:04: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
Avernum so needs new ship graphics. That horrible little row-boat needs to go. Its even worse in Geneforge all blown up.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
I wonder what a slith or nephilim boat would look like.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
I imagine slith boats wouldn't work very well... the statues don't help with keeping the thing afloat.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I imagine slith boats wouldn't work very well... the statues don't help with keeping the thing afloat.
If the statues don't sink it the assorted weaponry would!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #11
Thinking about boats-- I was wondering if a mage would make a flying ship or blimp in Avernum. It would be the kind of thing which X from the tower of the magi would do on a whim.

I bet Nephilim ships would be very quick, well stocked with fish, float very well, and have high railings so you wouldn't get wet.

--------------------

Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #12
If ya'll make sea/pirate/somethingelsealike scenarios, where will my pirates go? :/ I'd lve the boats, though. Search google and start modelling after nice designs.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #13
I personally wouldn't use pirates specifically, but with graphics that actually resemble a ship I would incorporate sea travel into the story. Maybe when you start the scenario you were shipwrecked, and the game starts with you on your now destroyed ship. Even though the ship can't sail anymore you can still wander form lower to upper deck. If you were sailing you would have some supplies left on the ship to take with you, or maybe it would be a safe place to rest.

[ Friday, May 27, 2005 08:03: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #14
A coding question: would it be possible to set up a flag to change the location where the one exit of a town designed as a ship would exit to?

Example: Say you have a ship/town, as such, where C is the captain and X is the exit (0 is the mast)...

+-----------------\
|===========\
|=C==0=======>
|===========/
+-----|X|---------/

Could you set it up such that the destination of the exit square entirely depends on a flag change due to a diolog choice with the captain on the ship? Thanks!

EDIT: I hate quasi-ASCII!!!

[ Friday, May 27, 2005 08:25: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Yes. The most obvious way is through change_outdoor_location.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #16
Thanks. Probably a stultifyingly easy answer to find, but I haven't started digging into the docs yet because I haven't been inspired. Until now, that is... :)

[ Friday, May 27, 2005 13:22: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

Thinking about boats-- I was wondering if a mage would make a flying ship or blimp in Avernum. It would be the kind of thing which X from the tower of the magi would do on a whim.
I hope you realize how very bad an idea a ligher than air craft is in a cave system...

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #18
Judging from this, I'd say quite a few people are suddenly going to be turning out Boat scenarios (flying or non-flying). But if they're flying, doesn't that resemble an Airship (Terry Brooks' Shannara Books)?

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
Avernum is underground. There isn't a big shipping culture there - just rowboats.

The Empire, on the other hand, has vast oceans and a vibrant cross-continent trade.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #20
In Avernum, there are a lot of rivers, we do not know where they go. Usually rivers flow into larger bodies of water. I can imagine there might be an inner sea. A vast underground ocean or very large lake.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

In Avernum, there are a lot of rivers, we do not know where they go. Usually rivers flow into larger bodies of water. I can imagine there might be an inner sea. A vast underground ocean or very large lake.
Jules Verne. Journey to the Centre of the Earth.