Canopy - ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Canopy - ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Apprentice
Member # 5201
Profile #0
I don't get how to beat the Dark Idol!!!!! I've tried about fifty times now, and can't do it!

I've tried summoning things, even had three simulcrumed Dark Idols; but they never used his *%$@%!! specials and got themselves pulverized.

I thought I had it beat when I figured out what was out of its range and rushed down there, speeding up my best archer to the point where, once in every three or four turns, she could walk out three to get a target, and walk back three to safety. But the damn thing regenerates! After plugging thirty some blessed arrows into it (doing about 100 damage each time) I did a Scry on it, and found out it was at 3909 health out of 3999!!!!!!

Please, any tips from anyone???? I'm playing at level (about 41 or 42 for each of my chars), and am not a newbie here, but can't beat this @!$%^*&$#@!!!!! AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

(I haven't been this frustrated in BoA since Roses of Reckoning. This adventure looked much more promising, so I am loathe to give up as I did then)

--------------------
------------------------------
Daniel C. Stillwaggon
Apprentice
Member # 5252
Profile #1
I felt exactly the same way. Tried it 50-60 times with my level 42 party....DEAD each time. I used the wand to escape the scenario, left, beat a whole different scenario and came back with my party at level 48 and beat him the second time! Still can't figure out how to get to the secret chamber behind the bastard...NOW THAT HE IS FRICKIN' DEAD!
Apprentice
Member # 5252
Profile #2
I felt exactly the same way. Tried it 50-60 times with my level 42 party....DEAD each time. I used the wand to escape the scenario, left, beat a whole different scenario and came back with my party at level 48 and beat him the second time! Still can't figure out how to get to the secret chamber behind the bastard...NOW THAT HE IS FRICKIN' DEAD!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
There's no way to get into that secret chamber. It's a red herring.

As for beating the Dark Idol, be sure to cast Radiant Shield before the fight to increase your magic resistance; if you have it at at least level 3, it'll protect you from the idol's fire attack, too. (You can buy Radiant Shield from the priest in the tavern.)

Invulnerability obviously helps a lot -- you can buy plenty of potions in town. And Heroic Brews are great, if you have any. If you rescued Baldev and met him to get his reward, that helps too.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
... and go into fighting mode before you take the symbol. The trick is: be quicker than the dark idol and hack it down before it starts attacking you.

But you are right: this is the far out hardest fight ever in all BoA scenarios, that was my opinion too.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #5
Are you guys meaning that demon under the bugbears? I found it easy, even with low level parties.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5201
Profile #6
Please, do say more about the easiness.

I go into the battle with radiant shield, all my chars hasted, and all with enduring barrier.

I've even tried with all of them invulnerable as well. After about turn three or four he starts to do damage that goes right through my invulnerable. Hitting me with two 300+point attacks that go through invulnerable, plus one or two 100 point attacks that don't stop when my chars hit 0, and everybody is dead.

I am dying to know what tactics you used to find this easy.

--------------------
Daniel C. Stillwaggon
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
Part of it is luck. One of its six attacks revokes all protective stati, rendering RS useless. Getting that followed by a Gravity or Darkness attack is devastating. My advice from the readme, though:

If you have defeated the Bugbear Mage, you should have access to the Dämonzerstörer in this gallery. It is a sword that will deal heavy damage to demons, helping you immensely. Naturshand and Baldev can come in handy if you have them, otherwise send your magi to the rear as quickly as possible, using them to supplement your fighters whenever possible. Invulnerability can only be dispelled by one of the six possible attacks, making it surprisingly viable.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5542
Profile #8
I had to try it a few times, but I believe I eventually beat it because of my high luck skill level.

Also, I beat it without Dämonzerstörer... I never even used the Scry crystal. Did it mention Dämonzerstörer?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
The scry crystal didn't mention Dämonzerstörer.

It's not difficult to find if you beat the Bugbear mage first, though.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #10
It is not that hard. I defeated it with a 48th level singleton. Here goes. War Blessing level 3-4, Radiant Shield, Enduring Barrier and heroic brew or resistance potion. The heroic brew build up the resistance enough to take it out. This thing has to be hit in close with melee weapons multiple times that do more than 100 damage-- Spear of Khalthass, or Manslaughter for example.

Now, what was hard was killing General Shroud with a singleton. This took me about 15 tries.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
Yeah, that was difficult at first. The special attacks make it downright unfair, and my first attempt found my party standing right next to it when it came to life. I got slaughtered before I could properly start attacking.

The next time, I just shielded & hasted my mage, sent him in, let him summon Baldev twice or so (aside: AP-increasing items are so unreliable), and then ran back out of its range. It helps that the non-standard spells take 0 AP to use...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 5201
Profile #12
Thanks for the help everybody, I finally beat it. Somehow, in my clearing of the bugbears, I missed the mage! The demon sword didn't help me any (it is so weak of a sword that the +100 was more than offset), but the miracle garb helped a ton.

--------------------
Daniel C. Stillwaggon
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #13
(deleted by Ice Drake)

EDIT:k

[ Friday, May 13, 2005 10:45: Message edited by: Ice Drake ]

--------------------
If Skribbane dosn't kill me, canisters will.

"You suck." - TM
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ice Drake:

if u evea get stuck jus play with a god party dats wut i do..
Kindly cease this abuse on my eyes. Spell properly, and punctuate.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00