post-canopy badness

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: post-canopy badness
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #0
just how wrong is it to make a check at the start of scenario to remove Adlecheatrauge ?

(edit: spelling)

[ Tuesday, April 12, 2005 18:48: Message edited by: silver harloe ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
How would you even go about doing that? There's no way to check for items that were brought in from other scenarios.

Frankly, my advice is to target your scenario toward a party going in below level 30. Combat is best-balanced below that level anyway, and that way if the player goes into it with a post-Canopy party, they're cheating with or without the use of Adlerauge. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
I use Adlerauge in Bahssikava. I don't see how it is cheating; it's powerful but not a McGuffin... or am I not using it correctly? Then again, I'm also using Dämonzerstörer, which does make things a little too easy.

Oh yes, and the 2-PC party I'm playing was level 40 when starting Bahssikava. I had to edit through Canopy, and then toned my stats down again when I was done. Come to think of it, that's how I play most scenarios by TM.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Rebel without a Cause:

I use Adlerauge in Bahssikava. I don't see how it is cheating; it's powerful but not a McGuffin... or am I not using it correctly? Then again, I'm also using Dämonzerstörer, which does make things a little too easy.
1-9 damage per level, no ammunition required. Compare that to slings, which do 1-4 per level. When a weapon does more than twice the damage of the next best weapon of its type, something's not right.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Technically, the next best thrown weapon is a Rough Diamond (1-8 + 1-8/level). :P

PS- Daemonzerstoerer is actually sorta weak. Did you somehow not get Maximilian? And honestly- the stat bonuses come with the domain. For instance, Maximilian is all of the strength you'll ever need. Adlerauge will be all of the bow skill you'll ever need. The spellshops will keep your magi casting powerfully for a while to come (especially with fireblast/arcane blow), etc.

With the Miracle items, Illusory items, etc, Canopy has MORE than enough level gains through artifacts to give parties that extra boost.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Le Martyre de la Terreur:

Technically, the next best thrown weapon is a Rough Diamond (1-8 + 1-8/level). :P
Apples to oranges. I was comparing it to the next best weapon that didn't require any ammunition. (Actually, that might be Morog's Sceptre, depending on your stats. Oh well.)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

1-9 damage per level, no ammunition required. Compare that to slings, which do 1-4 per level. When a weapon does more than twice the damage of the next best weapon of its type, something's not right.

Wait. No ammunition required? But I have arrows in that slot all the time...

--------------------
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #7
Adlerauge is technically a sling.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #8
It took me two scenarios to notice my archer's ammo was never decreasing. I just was so used to buying arrows and switching types based on what I was facing.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
Can you not make monsters resistant to missile weapon damage?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Can you not make monsters resistant to missile weapon damage?
Not without making them resistant to melee weapon damage as well.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by silver harloe:

It took me two scenarios to notice my archer's ammo was never decreasing. I just was so used to buying arrows and switching types based on what I was facing.
Same here.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is a god party. It wasn't with only two PCs, because even hasted to beyond 10 AP you can only do so much in combat, but now it is. I realized that when I made two new characters in the abandoned Guardpost and leveled them to 20 in Kar-Ghrav without dying once.

So I'll probably fiddle a little and take away L5 Arcane Shield and Divinely Touched, which makes easy meat of anything short of a TM Boss.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #12
A level 40 character with all skill points in Dexterity, Bows, and Sharpshooter consistently does between 150 and 300 damage with Adlecheatrauge.

Dammit, a level 1 character with the right skill points can pick up the thing and expect to consistently do 22d9 damage (which works out to 22-198)

There is no way that can be considered fair. No goddamn way.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

I use Adlerauge in Bahssikava. I don't see how it is cheating; it's powerful but not a McGuffin... or am I not using it correctly?
Okay, question answered. I am not using it correctly. That is mainly because I hate archery and alchemy (a leftover remnant from Blades of Exile) and will therefore go melee all the way even if I have an infinite ranged attack of 200-300 damage points.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Ammunitionless missile weapons really are great. Since I don't like blatantly abusing overpowered weapons, I use slings, which only do around 100-150 damage even at high levels. They still rock. (Slings. Rock. Oh God, I slay me like David slew Goliath.)

[ Thursday, April 14, 2005 06:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #15
Maximillian? McGuffin? Where, pray tell, may we find such items?

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #16
Maximillian is another overpowered weapon from canopy, though not as much as Adlecheatrauge.

As for McGuffin, well... meh.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
McGuffin is something which, if you have it, it makes a puzzle or a combat a snap, regardless of the difficulty it should have had.

Paralyze versus non-magic-immune bosses in BoE, for instance, was a McGuffin.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by The Asphalt of Apathy:

A level 40 character with all skill points in Dexterity, Bows, and Sharpshooter consistently does between 150 and 300 damage with Adlecheatrauge.

Dammit, a level 1 character with the right skill points can pick up the thing and expect to consistently do 22d9 damage (which works out to 22-198)

There is no way that can be considered fair. No goddamn way.

Your parties start out with 15 levels in bows? That seems slightly high to me.

EDIT: Okay, I just tested it. So you can do it if you make the most statistically unbalanced character possible. Alright. :P

[ Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:17: Message edited by: Imban ]
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by The Asphalt of Apathy:

Maximillian is another overpowered weapon from canopy, though not as much as Adlecheatrauge.

Well, Of Course, but where in Canopy will I find it. I'm on a Holy quest for all the artifacts, without using artifact centre, and Maximillian sounds like a nice weapon.

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
Maximilian is gotten if one takes 10 pieces of Mithril Ore, makes it into Mithril, and then buys a sword. All of this is done by way of Schwertschrein's basement, and the whole thing costs roughly 11,500 gold. (9k + 2.5k for the ore.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #21
You know what was really broken in canopy was getting level 10 create illusion. I've summoned rashaka, efreet, drake lords, and some other ridicolous monsters after getting such a boost to that spell. Although it made the general shroud fight really easy, he didn't hit me at all during the first two forms because he was swamped with illusions that could summon more monsters, and the efreet just picked away at him.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #22
How the heck are those weapon names sposed to be pronounced?! I get a headache just looking at them.

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #23
Hah. I don't think Alderauge is that bad. At high levels 50th it is about right. ( A 40- 60 level dungeon could easily handle Alderauge.) A blessed crossbow like Hendrickson's crossbow does 5-30 + 1-5 per level of bows and per 2 levels of dexterity. With blessed bolts at +4 damage per level-- this is almost as much damage as Alderauge. My characters routinely carry about 2oo bolts or arrows. In Bahssikava it is about the right power for an archer to use. Against things like dragons, groups of slith avatars it is about right.

With a singleton, it was the only way to get past general shroud. In Shrouds third form you get killed instantly as a singleton Unless you use Baldev and a heroic brew so you fry Shroud almost instantly. I had to try five times to figure out how to kill Shroud as a singleton. With a full party it was too easy.

My mage in my Cheesy Party of Doom 85 th level with Morog's Scepter does more damage than the character with Alderauge.

[ Tuesday, April 26, 2005 02:32: Message edited by: Toasted Basilisk on a Shish Kebab ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Arrna:

How the heck are those weapon names sposed to be pronounced?! I get a headache just looking at them.
Aad-lur-ow-ge, Deh-mon-tser-shto-rur. Close enough without umlauts.

TM, I was blinded by the RPG cliche of "If you find a powerful blacksmith who asks you to get rare raw materials, he can make you ONE, and exactly ONE extremely powerful item". I got the Mithril Plate, so I didn't stick around to see if he could make other stuff.

[ Tuesday, April 26, 2005 02:33: Message edited by: Day of Wrath, day of Tears ]

--------------------

Pages