New Spells in BoA please?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: New Spells in BoA please?
Apprentice
Member # 2545
Profile #0
I would love it if in BoA you would do new spell class, along with the two class available in Avernum 1-3 (i.e. Mage & Priest). I was thinking some where along the lines of Necromancer and Druid spell classes. The Necromancer would have spells like, Raise Dead or Animate Dead, Death Ray, Vampires Touch, Mind Decay, Fear etc. While the Druid could do spell that involve summoning and nature such as Poison, Meteor, Summon some kind of creature and so on. Either way I would like to see a SpiderWeb game with much more spell choices (like Diablo 1-2) .

[ Monday, January 27, 2003 08:36: Message edited by: LordofMaps ]
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #1
I believe Jeff has said that there will be no more spells than in A3.. I'm not quite sure, though. We will be able to create custom spells and stuff with scripting, though.. :)

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #2
Any 'custom' spells would actually be abilities which call scripts, and they won't have the full functionality of normal spells, for instance selecting a target (some kind of selection process may be possible, but not fully). These 'spells' would be scenario specific as well.

[ Monday, January 27, 2003 11:09: Message edited by: Jigga ]

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
Maybe I'm wrong but I just saw your name on the "Most Recent Register" thinge. So I'm not gunna bash you for not paying attention to past posts about this.

No new spells, though scenario specific scripts can act like spells quite effectively. Something like 'Animate Dead' that you mentioned wouldn't be possible anyway, as when things die, there is no body left behind.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2545
Profile #4
Darn!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Jeff is replacing Capture Soul and Simulacrum for engine reasons, but that's all been discussed to death already. Any new spell groups would require a lot more work just for creating and balancing the spells, let alone altering the engine to account for them.

—Alorael, who thinks that the post count is a dead giveaway as well. Most people with only one post just joined.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #6
And from the discussion the two replacement spells will likely be some sort of debuff(curse) spell and possibly some type of field spell(like Field of Blades) or area effect spell (fireball type spell). Those where mainly the most popular suggestions I have no idea what Jeff will finaly decide to include.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #7
I'd like to see a counterspell, a spell that negates the previously casted one. As it gets more powerful, perhaps it can turn the effects on the caster.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Counterspells are possible with special spells, but not with regular ones.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
Geez I hope Fireball makes it back... It seems a lot more logical than multiple, ultra-accurate balls of fire that always find a target.

Edit: Typing errors... bane of the common man

[ Tuesday, January 28, 2003 14:37: Message edited by: EEPLegolas ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #10
plus these so called accurate spells can't hit frelling guardians and black shade.

Long Live Firestorm, Divine Thud, and Fireball!

I never could figure how to do those scripting spells. too much hassle for a simple mass martyr's shield, and now that I know that CS and S aren't going the be there, I think I will wait til the game has been around awhile before considering buying it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Fine, but please don't revive topics that were dead for months to tell us.

—Alorael, who likes the untargetability of invisible monsters. Since you can't use huge area spells to locate them (where the damage appears) and you can't hit them with ranged attacks at all, invisible monsters are far more challenging in Avernum.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
Yea... exactly why did you go look through old, dated topics to find something to talk about?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #13
quote:
Originally posted by Motekye:
I'd like to see a counterspell, a spell that negates the previously casted one. As it gets more powerful, perhaps it can turn the effects on the caster.
You mean something like a "dispell magic" that removes the affects of spells cast on a creature? I would actualy prefer such a spell be usable only on FRIENDLY creatures at low levels with level 3 affecting enemy creatures. Otherwise you'd have enemy wizards dispelling the parties beneficial spells. Though it would be nice if there was a spell that moake guardians and black shades visible.

So "capture soul" and Simulacrum won't be in BoA? I was thinking maybe there might be some way to implement such a feture with a scripted object. Such as you carry around a soul crystal in your inventory then "use" it on a creture to capture it, after that each time you use it it would summon a duplicate of the creature captured. You could then have an option that would only allow the soul crystal to be used once a day like a spell shard, but then allow the user to carry multiple soul crystals with different monsters in each one. Would such a thing be possible with scripts?

Anyway I hope that Blades at least includes all the other spells from ALL 3 Avernum games such as the ones that didn't carry over from the previous Avernums into later chapters like "beast ceremony" and "divine warrior".
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
Beast Ceremony and Divine Warrior were too powerful. War Blessing and Radiant Shield do basically the same thing. Since BoA will be based on A3, it will figure to be really easy.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #15
That might be just about scriptable, but only for specific special encounter monsters that the designer chooses, and only released in specific areas.
It would, in other words, unless there is something Jeff isn't telling, be difficult and bulky. But we'll just have to wait and see

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Warrior
Member # 2555
Profile #16
...........no capture soul and simulacrum.....(sniff) I can't believe it!! Those were the two BEST spells in the game and there not going to have it in BoA! I remember how excited I was when I capture soul my first Dark Wyrm....(sniff)

--------------------
The Story
--------------------------------
Tim (the Sorcerer) was walking out peacefully one day when..... ...he became ambushed by a pair of Mung Demons assisted by a Demon Golem. He had the stuffing beaten out of him and was left on the cold, dirt, road to perish. But then..... ... X came! And he attempted a healing spell. But it didn't work! So, X knew he wasn't going to make it(sniff). So, Tim's last words were "Toe" or something that sounded like it. So X thought that Tim wanted him to take his toe, as a token, for his departure. As X was ripping Tim's toe off with a Piercing Crystal, Tim began to moan, cry, and then.... he DIED! X then cried his eyes out(yeah right) and then left.
X was then really bored with the toe, then he decided to make it into a Xian item. He gave it the talking ability. And the Xian Toe lived happily ever after! The END!
-----------------------
Click here to see you prize! (don't you see this too often? Well, here it comes!)
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #17
Haha... I'm not gunna miss em... I never used them so doesn't really matter to me. I'd like to see the new spells anyway. I hope they are good!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 2555
Profile #18
You evil beast! How could you not have used CP/S! It helps me so much! (but I'm low leveled) Oh, how I wish that the simulacrumed creatures would stay longer than 3 or 4 swinking turns! (swinking....swinking...)

--------------------
The Story
--------------------------------
Tim (the Sorcerer) was walking out peacefully one day when..... ...he became ambushed by a pair of Mung Demons assisted by a Demon Golem. He had the stuffing beaten out of him and was left on the cold, dirt, road to perish. But then..... ... X came! And he attempted a healing spell. But it didn't work! So, X knew he wasn't going to make it(sniff). So, Tim's last words were "Toe" or something that sounded like it. So X thought that Tim wanted him to take his toe, as a token, for his departure. As X was ripping Tim's toe off with a Piercing Crystal, Tim began to moan, cry, and then.... he DIED! X then cried his eyes out(yeah right) and then left.
X was then really bored with the toe, then he decided to make it into a Xian item. He gave it the talking ability. And the Xian Toe lived happily ever after! The END!
-----------------------
Click here to see you prize! (don't you see this too often? Well, here it comes!)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
One of the reasons he removed CS/S was because you couldn't carry monsters between scenarios.

--------------------
====
====
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #20
Wasn't it so that we had capture and simula in BoE, but one didn't need a soul crystal to use them? Like in Nethergate?

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]