Missile Weapons In Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Missile Weapons In Avernum
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
Missile Weapons In Avernum are not so good. Could someone work on adding a few improved missile weapons.

There is Morog's Scepter and the Pilum, but there aren't a whole lot of decent missile weapons. Slings do not run out of ammunition but they are fairly weak. Staff Sling, Spear Thrower, Kukri, Throwing Axe, etc.

Some missile weapons which I might like to see are poisoned throwing dagger, javelin of lightning, flaming razor disks, etc. Add some effects to thrown weapons. Even something like a magical hand grenade would be good.

Bows and crossbows are much stronger than thrown weapons. Also they have a much greater variety of ammunition-- acid arrows, arrows of light, steel arrows, iron arrows, blessed bolts, etc. There are also a bunch of nice magical bows Klinger's Bow, Alderauge, Quickfire Crossbow, etc.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
If you want some really awesome thrown weapons, collect Rough Diamonds. With the same levels in Thrown Missiles as in Bows, you'll do more damage with a thrown Rough Diamond than you would with a Blessed Crossbow firing a Blessed Bolt.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
I like the idea of the Holy Hand Grenade (from Monty Python and the Holy Grail). It could be the greenish orb (also the Goo-Bomb, Orb of Sight, etc.) and it could have throwing properties with an explosion effect. I'm not that good at making scenarios, but maybe someone could find a way to do such a thing.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #3
Actually, it's almost impossible, because there is no way to make weapons call states upon impact, so there isn't a whole heckuva lot that the designer can do except specify a number of dice and a bonus and make it do poison, lightning, or whatever.

A workaround is also impossible, based on the fact that the engine lacks calls to determine what a character did during a round (i.e., does it have the grenade launcher equipped, did it fire a missile this round), and to determine if the missile did in fact hit the target (although with the grenade example, that's not important), and to return somehow the number of the character targeted or of the space targeted.

The equip-check is possible, but the others could only be done with a usable item, and not an equipped missile.

EDIT: The idea, however, of giving missiles effects, etc. is a good one, especially as a way of making them preferable to hacking through things in melee.

[ Saturday, April 02, 2005 09:45: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Toasty Warm:

There are also a bunch of nice magical bows Klinger's Bow, Alderauge, Quickfire Crossbow, etc.
Quickfire Crossbow? Where was that one?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
He means the Quickload Crossbow. It's from A Small Rebellion, and it more or less sucks.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
The solution is to make javelins lighter and more frequent- any rum-dum archer can obtain and carry 100 blessed arrows/bolts, but carrying 20 javelins suddenly becomes onerous to somebody not trained in strength. Blessed Javelins do the standard 1-6/level, which beats Klinger's Bow- clearly, damage is not the problem here.

(Oh yeah- no thrown weapon beats Adlerauge. Sorry, it's just a fact.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
You do realise Adlerauge is the primary reason why I'm never going to make a scenario for parties above level 35? :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #8
For an interesting surprise in a scenario (I might do this in my own, feel free to use it if you wish :D ) you could make an item called "flimsy bow" or "plastic javelins" but give them good attack bonuses. ;)

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 665
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah, I'm sure those would attract people to use them very quickly.

--------------------
"Only fools are quoted"

-Annonymus
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
Uh, you realize that item stats are displayed when you look at an identified item, right?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
I find there's a lack of missile weapons of any sort. Some scenarios there is absolutely no way to regain what you have used up.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
PS- Adlerauge

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 538
Profile #13
Um, Morog's Scepter and the Pilum? Where are these?

Mako
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
Morog's Scepter is in the Za Khazi run, you have to kill the lich Morog to get it. Pilums are in the new scenario by Kelandon, Lord Putidus.

The other option is to have light missile weapons with high damage effects-- poisoned shuriken, blow guns, flaming razor disks, javelins of lightning, razor edged chakram, acid squirt qun.

Morog's Scepter is as game breaking as Adlerauge if handled by a really powerful mage. Throw on a wizard's cap, robes of the archmagi, and a mages bracelet and Morog's Scepter does a lot of damage.

Don't forget the Blessed Vahnati Bow in Undead Valley-- a truly ridiculous weapon.

[ Monday, April 04, 2005 15:49: Message edited by: Toasty Warm ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
I've never really had a problem with running out of arrows, but I carry over 100.
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #16
Well, I find thrown missiles with effects a good idea. I only use them as a alternative for my melee attacker, if he's not able to reach a target in melee. So I use it relatively scarcely, and there's no way thrown missiles could be an alternative to bows (Adlerauge :( ). So, I find it a rather good idea. :cool:

--------------------
In D&D there are lots of gods. Some of them are Jesus Christ and Lucifer, and they have equal power. Players can choose either to worship one of them, and as most of them find it funny, they choose to worship Lucifer. It is one of the ways how pure souls are taken by the devil...
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Le Martyre de la Terreur:

PS- Adlerauge
Making a game-breaking weapon is not really that impressive, you know.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
For the record, it is "one pilum" and "two pila." Or, if you prefer, "one pilum" and "two pilums."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
Perhaps there should be a skill were by, your party could make their own missile weapons. After all I'm sure there's enough junk left after any battle to fashion something up.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #20
how would that help?
Apprentice
Member # 5339
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

For the record, it is "one pilum" and "two pila." Or, if you prefer, "one pilum" and "two pilums."
Thanks for the latin language lessons, Kel:-)