Singleton Characters?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Singleton Characters?
Apprentice
Member # 5173
Profile #0
I am new to playing the game as a singleton character and looking for ideas. What stratagy do you use for your favorite singleton?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #1
Well, one strategy is to charge up on something. Usally charging endurance is good, so your character can survive, and maybe, melee weapons if he's a fighter? Or mage spells if he's a mage, mage spells? Something like that. When he's strong in one skill, move to a new skill. TIP: It's always good to be able to heal, so find a priest, train your character in at least one priest, and learn heal. Personally, I have all my characters heal. ANOTHER TIP: Search for books that teach you spells before finding a mage or a priest. I bought Repel Spirit from a priest and had three targets, but after I had loaded a saved game, I found a book that taught it to me with five targets.

Hope that helps!

[ Monday, August 01, 2005 12:36: Message edited by: Fire Shards ]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
The easiest way to play as a singleton is to focus on brute force and priest spells. Bulk up on strength and melee weapons and the first few levels of priest spells. Initially you'll be relying on Smite and your weapons, but then later on you can get really powerful.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #3
Watch out for paralysis creatures. If you get hit with paralysis as a one-PC party, you, my friend, are screwed.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
The singleton I usually make is a good pole-arm fighter with a little bit of priest spells to bless himself occasionally.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #5
That sounds nice, I wouldn't venture to play singleton yet, but I was wondering what happens if you are attacked with forcecage?

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
The monsters just wander for a few turns until you're uncaged, I think.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
They can't attack you, so it's pretty useless.

If they were smart, they'd be buffing themselves during the few rounds you were incapacitated. Sadly, they aren't. At least I've never seen it.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #8
I don't think my singleton's ever been hit with forecage. Apparently, monsters are smart enough not to bother.

Anyway, for my singleton, I took a different tack. I started with five levels of mage spells and one of priest spells, and relied mainly on Ice Lances and Bolt of Fire at low levels. As I went on, I concentrated on building up fighting skills, but also trained in mage and priest as well. Combine that with the Divinely Touched skills, and the guy was nearly unstoppable by the time I hit ZKR.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
Oh, that's another thing I forgot - give your character Divinely Touched purely for Divine Aid.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #10
What level of tool use did players find necessary as a minimum when playing a BoA singleton? I recall there are places you need to go in order to complete the VoDT where some tool use is necessary...

For example, if you want to steal the fine waveblade from the Vahnati in VoDT (they don't mind) you need level 10 tool use with lockpicks to open the chest.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #11
Generally buying ~8 tool use suffices for early/low level scenarios. Pumping up dex gets you some other points as well. There are some fine lockpicks that add 2 to tool use in VoDT, and that will help. In VoDT, many of the doors that require higher amounts of tool use really don't have much good behind the door, so it's not all that worthwhile to increase it high enough to open those few doors.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00