Scent of new-mown hay

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Scent of new-mown hay
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
What's a secret order fronting for a spam forum without blatant ambiguity? We must have this complementary thread as well.

I have yet to confirm that Niels Bohr actually said my signature line, but I believe he did say that the quality complementary to Truth is Clarity. Words to live by.

Maybe.

Anyone got a nice image of the European 'end of no parking zone' roadsign? The one that looks to North Americans as though it must mean 'nothing is forbidden'?

[ Sunday, July 24, 2005 07:36: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
You could always attribute your quote to Kierkegaard - he opined on almost everything, so it's a safe bet no one would call you on it.

My favorite European sign is this:

IMAGE(http://www.typemuseum.at/TM_7471/TM_2787/TM_5661/TM_8277/Mind-your-head-Scotland.jpg)

[ Friday, July 15, 2005 06:47: Message edited by: Drew ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
This is the one I wanted, except that it isn't in color.

IMAGE(https://lemoore.med.navy.mil/safety/Traffic_Safety/Signs/endnopk.jpg)

"In this zone, everything is permitted."

[ Friday, July 15, 2005 08:18: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
So much certificate checking to see a tiny little image!

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #4
IMAGE(http://images5.theimagehosting.com/signy.GIF)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #5
quote:
"In this zone, everything is permitted."
Well, yes. Everyone is supposed to own a parking disc that you need to use the parking zones. If you've forgotten yours, you can still park outside of zones. If there's a sign that lets you do it. *sigh* Parking's very restricted nowadays.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Re the certificate checking:

That's the one drawback to our recent secret takeover of the US navy. On the plus side, the ability to project power globally with full nuclear capability. On the minus side, some uptight webhosting. It seemed like a fair tradeoff at the time, but there's been some buyer's remorse.

Re Kierkegaard:
For now I'll stick with Bohr, since he also said all kinds of loopy stuff; but if I need to fall back on someone else, ol' Søren would let me keep my Danish sponsors. So I'll bear him in mind.

[ Friday, July 15, 2005 10:58: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #7
Here's my contribution to world peace:

IMAGE(http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~aiida/image/mongol-sign.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/ealc/sungphotos/Images%20of%20China/Sign%20of%20Yonghegong%20Temple.jpg)

IMAGE(http://web.archive.org/web/20030108093636/http://floridawebinfo.com/nychinabuffet/bbq_sign.jpg)

[ Friday, July 15, 2005 11:26: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #8
WJAT you took over the navy? Why wasn't I informed of this? I'll teach that damn Rumsfeld to withhold information from me again!

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
Do not underestimate the subversive power of Richard White.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Richard White is All in All. Mind Your Head.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
Of course we took over the navy. What, you thought Moby Dick was just an allegory? Man, I was sure that the great White whale named Richard was practically giving the game away. Now I wish we hadn't taken back all our subliminal messages in Shakespeare.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #12
I'm something of though not usually a simple man with rather simple needs, but I must now bear the thought: WHAT THE F+++ is everyone talking about!!!!!!!!

[ Saturday, July 16, 2005 08:42: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
Ah, very good. Verelor is confused, and Rumsfeld is baffled enough to be worrying about an even deeper category of unknown. Comrades, our security measures are holding well. All Plan Q operatives may stand down.

*thumbs nose at Echelon*

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #14
Donald Rumsfeld? He dead
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Verelor:

I'm something of though not usually a simple man with rather simple needs, but I must now bear the thought: WHAT THE F+++ is everyone talking about!!!!!!!!
Yes, even I must admit to being a little confused by all this. Which is why my first contribution to this topic was a nonsensical sentence followed by three pictures. That was as close as I could come to making a sensible statement in the general context. First it was about signs, then the Navy, and now all heck's blown loose. :confused:

Besides, I thought we were following Plan AZ-51520941a/TY456asdf8787xzc8! When did we switch to Q? Did I miss an official cult luncheon or something?
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #16
Hm..

WTF
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Verelor:

Donald Rumsfeld? He dead
I'd say you're getting it fine, Verelor.

Plan Q is need-to-know, Icshi. Sorry.

I mean, of course your high status in the order means that you do need to know. Just not consciously. Your cerebral implants have it all pat, and they will take over your brain if the need arises.

In case anyone missed it:
That 'everything is permitted' roadsign image is on a US Navy https: site, the only place on the whole web where I could find it. Thus slipped out the revelation that we have taken over the USN. Oh well; with all the uniforms changed to White, people would have started to wonder soon, anyway.

[ Saturday, July 16, 2005 11:46: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #18
It was a dinner, not a luncheon. I believe your invitation was one of the ones that was sucked through that inter-dimensional portal.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
My idea is being taken up about making this another Misc. forum...

Not arguing or anything.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #20
IMAGE(http://www.toyvault.com/PresidentialPlush/Bush%20Anime%20Plush.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/318763/2/Funny_Sign.jpg)

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

It was a dinner, not a luncheon. I believe your invitation was one of the ones that was sucked through that inter-dimensional portal.
I didn't know we even had dinners. Portal, schmortal—you purposefuly excluded me. My ever-vigilant nose detects the scent of conspiracy in the air... And it smells delicious.

Come to think of it, even if Plan Q was masterminded during a luncheon I would've missed it anyway. Quite frankly, I've only been attending the breakfast meetings at Denny's. Those Fabulous Fruit-Filled pancakes are truly wondrous, especially the blueberry ones.

IMAGE(http://www.wegmans.com/kitchen/ingredients/produce/nuts/images/blueberries.jpg)

There are not enough blueberries in this world to slake my insatiable lust for them.

The world must be remade.

quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Plan Q is need-to-know, Icshi. Sorry.

I mean, of course your high status in the order means that you do need to know. Just not consciously. Your cerebral implants have it all pat, and they will take over your brain if the need arises.

Oh good. Then I don't have to worry myself by thinking about it. I've got enough on my mind as it is.

Most of my brain is tied up 24/7 thinking about the nature of blueberries, plotting new ways to incorporate them into my breakfasts, and trying to find ways of increasing their plentifulness on this pitiful excuse for a planet. I meditate on this day and night. Great things are afoot.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #22
Add utter stupidity cleverly encrypted by chisled vocabulary terms. Attach sign picture for good measure.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
Which is to be desired more, though - chisled vocabulary, or chisled abs? I think we all know the answer to that one.

SoT, please relay the following message to the hampster in your computer: the code has been broken.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #24
Chiselled spelling isn't as good as either, of course, but it's a start.

Alas, I am no longer in contact with that hamster, since my BU teaching gig finished. If the parallel cryptographic attack that consumed all its power (and prevented me from running Thunderbird and Firefox simultaneously, grrr) is now finished, I recommend it be fed to the needle/ferrets.

--------------------

Pages