Naming Creations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Naming Creations
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #50
I don't see the aesthetic appeal in naming creations. You're not their little buddy: you're a Shaper, and if they don't get killed you're just going to reabsorb them when you upgrade your army. (Keeping a Fyora into the endgame means never being nearly as powerful as you could be, and that'll get you voted off Sucia Island.) But there is some actual utility in naming creations, because it can help you keep track of (for example) which of your six Terror Vlish are valuable veterans and which are expendable recent replacements. So I give the senior ones names like 'One' and 'Two', and leave the newer ones generic.

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 07:53: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #51
Actually, I kept my couple of fyoras all the way through and they leveled so many times that they were extremely powerful. At various times I saved the game, reabsorbed them, and made drayks, just to see if the drayks would be more powerful, but they weren't. So, as I mentioned earlier, I kept my same creations all the way through GF.

Then again, I probably didn't put enough into my shaping skills.

I know! For GF3, I'll not only name my drayk "Drakey," but also name my Fyora "Flamefiend." Hmm... I need another good fyora name.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #52
how about "Servile Snacker"? Or how about "Brushfire"?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #53
I like "Brushfire."

The point was that the names were of people on these boards, though: Drakey and Flamefiend are both community members.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #54
Naming creations is rarely important to me but the rat in GF2 is always Shadow Scout. The fun of keeping some of these weak creatures is that it makes the game more challenging to have to keep them alive.
Apprentice
Member # 5203
Profile Homepage #55
i use silly names for whatever creatures i have.... except adopted ones.

-the first one is always Spot. and i keep him around as long as i can. and like Kelandon and as mentioned in another thread, this is always a Fyora, and they can be as powerul as Drayks and Drakons if you keep them around and play your cards right.
-Bubbles
-Fluffy (reserved for the most grotesque looking critter in my party)
-Chuckles
-Bob

and the like are the usuals. obvioulsy i don't take it too terribly seriously :P It's a game, it's supposed to be fun, so i have fun with it ;) .

[ Sunday, November 28, 2004 22:29: Message edited by: Jill ]

--------------------
Homepage | Heathen Sent | Nightscrawlers
Apprentice
Member # 5237
Profile #56
i name all of my creations after irish clans or counties (using the celtic spellings). my standards:
-uibh faihili
-maigh eo
-cill cannaigh
-Hurleigh

--------------------
weezey one love
Apprentice
Member # 5236
Profile #57
Wrong about the dryaks to fyoras comparison. If you created a dryak and kept it, it would be extreamly powerful later in the game.

--------------------
Is there any legal way of getting spiderweb software games if you don't have $20?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #58
Why was it necessary to revive a two-week-old topic for the sake of a two-sentence post?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #59
I would awnser, but I don't think you want to hear it. Lets just call them noobs and be done with it? Are you suprised anyways? This type of thing happens all the time around here I've noticed.

EDIT: Then again, having not noticed, you could call me a noob, for arising a week old post (though one on top) for a 4 sentence response. Eh, whatever.

[ Friday, December 17, 2004 23:36: Message edited by: Captain Obvious ]

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #60
I have no problems with reviving old posts. I've seen people ask the same questions over and over. Might as well keep the ones we got and stick to 'em. :cool:

About the noob, how can you call someone else a noob when you only have 6 more posts than they do.
Just a question! :cool:

[ Saturday, December 18, 2004 16:54: Message edited by: Solberg the All-Powerful ]

--------------------
Solberg- Who is a greater Archmage than me? Noone that's who.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #61
Reviving threads is, around here, considered horribly bad form unless you have something new and important to say on the topic. Recall, Solberg, that you got warned once before for doing it.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #62
Yes I remember. It won't happen again. I'm sorry, Guru Kelanon. :(

Hey, that has a nice ring to it, like Citizen Solberg... naaa I'll just stick to Solberg the All-Powerful ;) . Makes me feel better. :D Cheesball still hates the name though. ;)

--------------------
Solberg- Who is a greater Archmage than me? Noone that's who.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #63
I had Toby and Rosie the Fyora's all the way through the game. They rocked, in a small, non-rocking way. Then, should I need cannon-fodder, which wasn't often as I play an Agent, I created a thahd, called Bruce.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #64
In Geneforge 1, I named all my creations after various candies. Snickers the Fyora, Skittles the Vlish, etc.

In Geneforge 2, I named them after various celebrities and well-known people whos names I'd seen somewhere- Kofi Annan the Drakon, Simon Cowell the clawbug...
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #65
I did once name a Thahd George W. Bush. Well, I was going to anyways, turned out to just be George, but hey.

EDIT: Oh and BTW Solberg, the reason call them Noobs is because I can, that and the fact that while I may not post too often, I lurk quite a bit. Past that, I, while on very few occasions have done so, very rarely ever revive old, dead topics.

[ Monday, December 20, 2004 16:39: Message edited by: Captain Obvious ]

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #66
I have named my thahds after anyone from former teachers to relatives to current and former US presidents.

They just look so stinking cool. And dumb, which is the point.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Apprentice
Member # 5237
Profile #67
ok while i love spiderweb software and i am actually addicted to geneforge, this is probably the dumbest forum possible to be arguing about stupid stuff like bringing up old posts. can we keep the 'noob'ing to the forums for angry people? theres no point power-tripping on a little forum like this one.

--------------------
weezey one love
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #68
We weren't arguing. Information was passed along. The discussion was over. Good job bringing it back up again, though.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5237
Profile #69
ya see thats what im talking about. (this is so not worth debating)

--------------------
weezey one love
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #70
And yet you continue to reply. I hear clomipramine can help with that.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #71
What is Clomipramine?

Edit: This.

[ Tuesday, December 21, 2004 18:00: Message edited by: From Otherworld, Beyond the Sea ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #72
Clomipramine: "Clomipramine is a tricyclic agent with both antidepressant and antiobsessional properties."

EDIT: Yeah.

[ Tuesday, December 21, 2004 18:04: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3987
Profile #73
why should anyone even care whats her/his pets name? ur not gonna call them by name in the game? (silly me)

--------------------
Shaper laws:
1. Kill everyone who hates you
2. Keep everyone who likes you
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #74
1, 2, 3, and Jimmy-Jimmy works for me.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!

Pages