Yet Another Self-Indulgent Goodbye Topic

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Yet Another Self-Indulgent Goodbye Topic
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #25
TM, you are speaking of either me or Shaper, and that is understandable. Now go get manners.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
So can I, TM. Stop harassing him.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #27
quote:
Goodbye. You seem to be right about the sudden degeneration of these boards - over the past week they appear to have just become rubbish. Maybe it is only a coincidence that it coincides with SM coming back.

I too have become disheartened with these boards. I was originally Felwynne. I was going to leave with nothing said so I deliberately messed up my password, but I signed back up as Flavius. I have not been a member long but I enjoy spidweb games, and have most of them. I enjoyed the conversation and the assistance.

And then came Order Mage, Zephyr Tempest, and the others of the "brat pack" and I watched the boards degenerate into grade-school nonsense. Despite the efforts of myself, some other mature members, and the moderators nothing gets any better. Had a been a mod these kids would have been banned weeks ago. I understand patience but c'mon now, there have been some very good people leave these boards just since I came on. I have also noticed a decline in posts from other members that posted more frequently than they do now. I think they are there, lurking, scratching their heads at the nonsense that pervades these boards.

I too have pretty much given up. I think I will stick with rgra and rgrn and some others out on Usenet for, at least, adults are there. It is also a place that Zephyr, Order, and others would never survive. While I understand they are pre-pubescent, young, and foolish there is no excuse for there behavior and no excuse for their continued existence on these boards. I believe they have violated the CoC, but then, as with any other standard, if it is not enforced why have it. Doubt what I am saying? Look at the RP threads that have been ruined. Look at the posts demanding something with the overt threat of continued spamming.

Ditch the brats (so everyone knows, I am in my late 40's and have four kids, so I am not just some kid-hating adult, just one with little patience for bratty conduct--mine paid for it when they got out of hand, discipline people, discipline) and restore the boards to normalcy. These were fun when adults could discuss RPG's and other topics. They have degenerated to childlike idiocy.

John

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 02:12: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #28
You make a fair point, but who says the boards exist only for intellectuals? While I can see why you'd like to see Shaper, FB et al banned, and can't deny that I wouldn't mind it either, they can't be banned just for being immature. Until they overstep the bounds of the CoC, (and utterly ruining RPs isn't against the CoC, unfortunately) they deserve to be here. Maybe the boards would be a nicer place without them, but the raison d'etre of Spidweb is a place to discuss their games, not a forum of intellectual discussion. Until the kids do something that damages that raison d'etre (although I would argue that some, SM for example, have...) they can't fairly be banned. Maybe it would improve the boards, but they don't deserve it. (Again, with the exception of SM.)
Well, that's my £0.02. Feel free to rip it to shreds.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #29
I never claimed these boards are for intellectuals. They should belong to people, though, that wish to discuss topics in some sort of orderly manner. I have seen Zephyr spam the life out of a topic if he wanted to be included (what is sad is though he does this, mods go out of their way to get him included despite the opinions of others. This only reinforces his behavior). In the Geneforge 2 threads he pretty much said he would continue posting no matter how many times topics were closed until he got answers. Gee, hold my breath, stomp my feet, and whine, whine, whine.

Perhaps the CoC is not written to exclude their behavior. I do know this though, that if enough people become fed up with their childishness, there will exist only themselves in this forum. That would indeed be sad but I can see it coming.

John

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #30
And SM, since he did deserve it, has been banned.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #31
Who exactly is SM? There are acronyms mentioned that don't really go with user names. Like FB, SM etc...

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
Zephyr is FB. Crap Blood Swirl/Cement Swirl/Tome of Skulls = SM.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #33
I was going to ask about that one user name. The one with the blood swirl, but I noticed he had changed it around from the c*** thing.

As a very humorous note, you should check out Zephyr's new boards. The link is in his thread about his new forum. That is where I fear we would be headed if he/others like him are allowed to continue.

Thanks Drakefyre. I know you work hard trying to police these as do others.

[Edit] Off topic, but curious...how "hard" would a transition from pc to mac be. I have always thought about it (my first computer was apple, my next an old mac then pc's) but I have lots of software...

John

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 03:23: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #34
You have to remember, however, that these are GAMING boards. Lots of hyper kids with short attention spans play computer games. Well-mannered, articulate adults aren't the only ones who use Spiderweb Software, and in fact, most RPGs are targeted at the 9-15 crowd. It is disappointing to see so many pre-adolescents so clueless about netiquette, but if you play computer games where combat is a fairly big chunk of the gaming experience, you can't expect that there won't be any hackn'slashing, bored little kids who appreciate the RPGs. Twelve year olds on sugar are not likely to discuss things in an 'orderly' fashion, especially since the net is one place where their parents aren't watching. They feel they can let loose here and forget about restrictions.

Thuryl; I am extremely miffed to see you leaving. You, along with X,seem to be the only two intelligent, instructive, tolerant and polite 'oldbies'. Good luck with where ever you're going.

And mind you, I don't pretend that I'm tolerant or polite either, let alone instuctive. ;)

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #35
*sigh* Well, if you really must leave, then goodbye. We'll miss you.

It's really annoying when you leave for a week or so and then come back to find the boards in wreckage and flames. Damn you, SM.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #36
I expected some sugar laden, hyperactive, ritalin bound, pre-pubescent foolishness. However, with respect to netiquette, as with everything else a child learns, if they are not taught the right from the wrong, they shall never learn it. After a few attempts at correction, then temporary banning should occur. There should be some control. No, flaming is not necessarily correction, but I have seen genuine (tried myself) attempts to correct. It should reach a point though that one should see there is no "curve" in learning and try to create one through bans or some other methods to reinforce proper ettiquette.

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
I was going to ask about that one user name. The one with the blood swirl, but I noticed he had changed it around from the c*** thing.
It was originally Swirl Blood Swirl, my name. Then SAPHER twisted it into Crap Blood Swirl. That is all.

quote:
As a very humorous note, you should check out Zephyr's new boards. The link is in his thread about his new forum. That is where I fear we would be headed if he/others like him are allowed to continue.
I am member of Menfun in the Manse, or the Club of All, as they call it (with twenty poss, horah! :P ). They're not that bad, considering those 'unintelligent kids' posting on them. I'm guessing Zephyr's board are somewhat same.

quote:
Thanks Drakefyre. I know you work hard trying to police these as do others.
He is, and I would like to apologize my deeds, although it won't change a thing.

--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #38
Flavius: Not hard at all. Especially with OS X, which I am told was made partially for PC users switching to Macs.

Ummm, I'm assuming Rollerblade Warrior is TGM? Well anyway, he was probably talking to me one page back, since it was right below my post and started with "Just shut up." Actually, that makes sense if you're not TGM as well, but if you are, welcome back :P

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #39
I never got around to leave, and never said shut up to you, Davy. That was TM. :)

--------------------
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #40
I have to say, two topics with the same discussion Is Not Funny.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #41
Uhh, whaddya mean? Felwynne's long rant or just politely telling me I'm spamming like a ragot again?

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #42
*prods Drakefyre gently*

Sorry, deary, but I was referring to Sir David.

And for chrissakes, this topic really shouldn't be sullied like this. If people have stopped saying goodbye, then let it live without the usual thing happening to it that happens to, well, every single other topic made in the last month.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #43
I know TM, and I was referring to you. *smiles sweetly*

Use the other topic.

--------------------
====
====

Pages