know any good rpg's like avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: know any good rpg's like avernum?
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #25
UA has spoken. Ungh.

Nay, play Angband.

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #26
Oh, there seems to be a lot of great RPG's for Mac... I've always wanted to try Cythera... :(

Well, I'm right now goin' to try Exult, a free remake of Ultima VII for newer machines (available for PC, Mac and Linux)... I'm so desperate for some RPGing... :)

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #27
Betrayal at Krondor.
Help Site, I think there's a link to a download of it
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #28
OMG... Betrayal at Krondor... I love that game!!! It's excelent! I remember I got to Chapter 7, but then my father decided to reinstall Windows... he installed Windows XP, so I never finished it. If anyone is lucky enough, and has Win 98 or less, try it, it's so nice... and it's freeware.

[ Friday, June 06, 2003 16:14: Message edited by: --Troubled queen-- ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #29
My opinion (nothing more, nothing less)...

Back in the early '90s, Realmz for the Mac seemed good … until I later discovered Spiderweb's games. Since then, I took a look at a recent PC release of Realmz and found only an excruciating interface and a buggy engine (due, most likely, to the port).

Fallout was incredible: my favorite Bioware game to date. Fallout 2 was also good, but it sprawled too much for my liking … by the end, I'd stopped caring about the plot. I hated the interface and non-RPG feel of Fallout Tactics.

The Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series is OK … pretty, but rather linear and hack 'n' slash. Planescape: Torment was intelligent and, from all accounts, very emotionally moving, but the sheer volume of names and plot kept me from finishing it. (This wasn't the game's fault; I made the mistake of starting it at a very busy time.)

Diablo and Diablo 2 were also fun for a while, but the hack-'n'-slash became dull quickly. Divine Divinity is much less linear, and it plays a lot like Diablo 2, but the hack-'n'-slash feel still sets in after 10+ hours of play. I haven't played Dungeon Siege, but friends have told me that it's an extremely linear slashfest.

And yes, I realize that all of these except Realmz are commercial games. That's because (as Alorael wrote), "good shareware is hard to come by." I haven't found any shareware RPGs whose quality even remotely approaches that of Spiderweb's games.

[EDIT:] Someone mentioned Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; I'd forgotten about that. I really liked its setting and non-linearity, but (for me) its interface and combat system could have been better. It was also painfully crash-prone, even with the latest patches and hardware drivers in place.

Good luck!

[ Monday, June 09, 2003 10:37: Message edited by: Churl ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
I can't possibly believe that none of you have mentioned FF7, the best non-BoE game you could ever possibly purchase.

Dammit, I have to be the only one here who still plays Realmz. :(

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #31
Out of curiosity, Fox Elf, do you play the Mac or PC version of Realmz? (…And if Fox Elf's Mac/PC stance is common knowledge in the Spiderweb forums, please pardon me; I'm new here. :) )

I only ask because I have fond memories of an early '90s Mac release of Realmz. However, when I downloaded Realmz for the PC (most recently in 2001, I think), I found it frustrating and unstable.

It's possible that the Mac version has only gotten better while the PC port languishes. It's also quite possible that the PC version has improved since my last look at it.

Your take, Fox Elf?

[EDIT, for el presidente below, to avoid spamming/cluttering with one-line posts:] Thanks!

[ Monday, June 09, 2003 10:55: Message edited by: Churl ]
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #32
He's a Mac user. And we call him TM. It stands for something he called himself before he called himself that.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
Realmz has gotten worse and worse. Each update or added feature was slapped on haphazardly, resulting in numerous problems. I have played Realmz from version 4-ish to the end, and it only got more unstable and more buggy in most ways.

—Alorael, who does think that some of the third-party scenarios looked promising. Unfortunately, they're also almost invariably expensive, and the unbalanced Realmz engine just isn't worth it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #34
I know this is off topic, well, maybe not after all. I read earlier posts referring to Realmz. I went to the site and checked it out. I have sent them 2 emails with no response so I figured I'd ask here. Looks to me like they expect $20 to register the game for which you get the engine and one unlocked scenario. The other scenarios are included but locked and would cost $13 each to unlock. Did I misread this? Is that game THAT good? Not from what I've read so far....any insight? Anyone tried it?

Thanks
John
Always looking for good RPG's
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
If you mean the one for the PC, I don't think so. I could probably play it (and would, if there was no BoE), but 20$ plus 13$ for EACH scenario is, IMO, a load of crap. My opinion, mark you.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
Realmz is not worth the price unless some scenario I didn't bother to play, much less register, is actually good. From what I've seen, it's doubtful.

—Alorael, who does like a few of the scenarios created with Divinity. Still, they're not worth registering, and anyone who bothers to figure out Divinity has obviously never seen BoE.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #37
Thanks for the advice. I was not sure myself. It was so-so but worth looking at IF you got all of it for $20. But BoE is much better, so guess where my $ will go!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #38
*cough* All Final Fantasy games are worth a look, especially 1 through 6. Played all but the sixth, as my brother won't let me try it until I finish with fifth one. Silly him.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Warrior
Member # 2156
Profile #39
Old thread, but I don't come by here much. They're pc games, but I like Tom Proudfoot's work, probably the only other shareware company I'm impressed with. He's created a great tactical engine that I find really enjoyable. Graphics are low, and storyline only moderate, but the combat is some of the best turn-based shareware I've seen.

http://www.proudft.com/

Nahlakh is freeware, but as I recall wont run on anything past win95. Natuk is shareware, and not only a great concept, but a pretty good refinement of the system. Haven't looked at his other stuff yet, and I don't think he's done any major updating in recent times.

--------------------
I am the power Sodom used on Lot...

Name the movie, win a prize.
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #40
Oh my... I got kinda obssesed with the Ultima series lately, and I must say, I'm impressed. I also discovered that Jeff got a lot of influence from the Ultima games (glowing mushrooms [U1], a liquid similar to skribanne [U7]...). Ultima has such a complex plot... it's kinda confusing sometimes.

I checked out a tech demo of a remake of U1 by Peroxide, it was great, but it's not being developed... Peroxide is now developing Era.

There are loads of remakes for the Ultima Series, most of them are mods for Dungeon Siege or NWN. Some others are custom engines.

In this page, you'll find various 3D remakes and some clasic remakes too. Some fun.

--------------------
Dance the Banned Dance
Member # 3052
Profile #41
I'm just wondering is the book Baldur's Gate any good? I haven't read it yet but got it from a library book trade thingy and remembered the game. I haven't played the game either.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #42
NOT AT ALL

The Baldur's Gate book sucks beyond belief. The Baldur's Gate II book is worse. The Throne of Bhaal book is slightly better, but still not worth buying.

(Of course, all of this is in comparison to the game - you may well be entertained by it if you don't understand how badly it butchers the game's plot...

...and (for the second one) you're not bothered by our hero screwing a vampire who wants to kill him.)
Dance the Banned Dance
Member # 3052
Profile #43
Eh, so you're saying I shouldn't read the books? I never bought the first one anyway. :)
So then, is the game any better?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #44
The games are good.

Pages