Deathmatch Tournament -- Round Two, Part Two

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Deathmatch Tournament -- Round Two, Part Two
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #75
Two weeks seems a bit much, but I'd definitely wait a week for everyone.

And thanks for reminding Dikiyoba to actually vote in the poll.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #76
Quite frankly, I lost interest in the deathmatch simply because it took so long to revive. I must say though, match number seven is impressive.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #77
Is all of this drama really necessary? The poll results can be seen as either an expression of people's creativity, or a popularity contest. If you chose to treat it as the former, the only thing reflected in the outcome is whose abilities are percieved to be more powerful based on Diki's scripts and forum gimmicks, so it's pointless to complain about them. If you chose to treat it as the latter, it will be more productive to consider why you are so unpopular, rather than to throw a temper tantrum about biased voting.

Anyway, here is my analysis:

1. Alorael vs. Silent Assassin
Alorael is a sniper. SA is an assassin, so you'd expect him to easily sneak up on Alorael and kill him. However, multi-level conspiracies tend to make assassin's life more difficult. In this case, Alo can use his involvement with RW cult to make the match take place in an Angband dungeon. As a Rogue, SA should be able to handle dungeons, but Angband is nearly unwinnable without backing up your save files, and "Deathmatch has not Save and Reload".
Ancient Black Dragon (offscreen) breathes acid ...
Silent Assassin is hit for 34 damage ...
Silent Assassin dies ...
Winner: Alorael

2. ADoS v. Aran
Fluffy turtles attack only those who are sane. Unfortunately for Aran, his bots are logical, which is as close as computers can get to being sane. And fluffy kittens might be insanity inducing, but are quite sane themselves. So this match will be concealed by a cloud of fluff, as fluffy turtles fight fluffy kittens and non-fluffy bots. Under cover of this cloud, it will be easy for Aran to invoke a conspiracy that uses a magic flute and smell of fresh bacon to lead ADoS' nose into a PHP-scripted magico-mechanical trap.
Winner: Aran

3. Goldenking vs. Drakefyre.
First Drakey casts Divine Warrior, making himself invinsible. Then he beats down Goldenking with a barrage of powerful spells, breaking his sheild, knocking the gun out of his hands, and leaving him on the ground, nearly unconscious. He then decides to finish the match in style, pressing the Ban Button.
"What do you mean it's not listed on the card?! Who made up these cards anyway? Slarty? Slarty!" While Drakey turns around looking for Slarty, Goldenking manages to reach his gun, lift it, and fire at Drakey's back just as invinsibility wears off.
Winner: Goldenking

4. Ash Lael vs. Dintiradan
Since Dintiradan is a Christian, Christian Rock might be able to influence him, but his Evil Overlord Helmet, while not having great defense against sonic attacks, is enough to make song lirics unintelligible. A chainsaw might remove the Helmet, but Ash would have to get through the Legions of Terror first. And since Dintiradan read the Evil Overlord guide, he will send his entire legion at Ash right away, instead of sending them out in small groups to be slaughtered by the famous chainsaw. However, Ash will simply lure the Legion into hardes Sub Terra level ever made, so it will be down to single combat again. We know what happened the last time Dintiradan tried to use cloning or summpning machines, but Deth Ray is still quite effective. Somebody said that good always wins, but that is not the case in modern "dark fantasy", and Dintiradan, with his Evil Overlord Guide, would make a perfect villain for that kind of literature.
Winner: Dintiradan

I'll do the rest later.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

...Alo can use his involvement with RW cult to make the match take place in an Angband dungeon...
Ancient Black Dragon (offscreen) breathes acid ...
Silent Assassin is hit for 34 damage ...
Silent Assassin dies ...

While this was very funny, there's one problem. If it's an Angband dungeon and the assassin is actually SILENT, offscreen Ancient Black Dragons are never going to attack him in the first place.

[ Monday, April 28, 2008 18:58: Message edited by: Indicative v. Performative ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #79
His stealth is indeed legendary, but he probably shouldn't have decided to attack with a Dagger of Fury. That's just aggravating.

—Alorael, who is far more concerned with the 34 damage. Is that dragon sick? Has he been drinking soap?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #80
Hey, it was enough. This dragon just doesn't want to pollute the environment unnecessarily. It's a green black dragon.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #81
Green dragons just breathe poison. I don't think they're very environmentally conscious at all.

—Alorael, who is always careful to fire- and acid-ball the piles of loot left when he has massacred hapless victims by the score. That way he can avoid littering and make sure he can pick out the useful ego items and artifacts!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #82
Meh. In ADOM, even good loot can be wiped out by a well-placed fireball, so I rather avoid that.

But I do fireball any abandoned stores I come across. Damn mimics. :P

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #83
That depends on your definition of good. Anything with acid resistance or elemental immunity (artifacts and ego items) will resist acid, and no armor is flammable. You can still lose all the other important goods like potions, scrolls, ammunition, books, staffs, and wands.

—Alorael, who has just taken up UnAngband. Ah, complexity! For one thing, he now finds himself frequently lost in the wilderness.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Indicative v. Performative:

While this was very funny, there's one problem. If it's an Angband dungeon and the assassin is actually SILENT, offscreen Ancient Black Dragons are never going to attack him in the first place.

Hey, that ingenious scheme to defeat Alorael using 20 flasks of oil, a summoning trap, diagonal tunnel, 3 wands of polymorph, and a ring of aggrivate monster sounded good at the time. :)

Now back to the rest of the matches.

5. Nemesis vs. Emperor Tullegolar
Regardless of whether Dianslaifs can defeat all of ET's slaves, the two armies will prevent each other from interfering in the main battle. In that battle, Nemesis' independent thinking will protect him from ET's Leadership, and flag waiving will be just a distraction. Unfortunately mild manners are no match for a Slith Spear (1), so ET will nearly kill Nemesis when the crowd starts booing. ET says that canisters give him "sexy green glow", which means that he has consumed enough of them to get episodes of unsupressible rage. And booing by the audience will trigger this kind of incident, causing ET to get himself killed by going on a rampage against the spectators.
Winner: Nemesis

6. Zeviz vs. *i
i = 0;
*i.attack(Zeviz);

Fatal Error: NullPointer Exception

Winner: Zeviz

7. SoT vs. Salmon
Either of the two can hold their own in a debate, so they'll have to resort to the rest of their skillset. Salmon's fishing pole is a surprisingly powerful weapon, but SoT can use his knowledge of physics to avoid the lure and to conjure a trinity of a tornado carrying fire and rocks to win the match.
Winner: SoT

8. Jewels vs. TM
SMoThErIN' WITh LuV
Winner: Jewels

1 - I was originally going to end this match here, but ET's complaints inspired the continuation that lead to reversal of result.

PS And here is a more traditional description for round 6.

6. Zeviz vs. Stareye
As most people are saying, Stareye can just press ban button and ...
"Access Denied?! Drakey?! Schrodinger?!"
Unfortunately, Drakey is still dead from losing his match, and it takes a while to find Schrodinger, so the match will be over by the time he finds a secret account to which Zeviz gave admin rights as a backdoor to admin CP while he had a chance. So this match will be decided using regular battle.

The battle starts with Stareye destroying the scrying pool by stomping it with his boot, while menacingly waving Sword of Damocles over Zeviz's head. Meanwhile, Zeviz nukes the antimatter machine. Resulting explosion kills almost everybody in the area, including Stareye. Fortunately, plenty of loyal EVOL members are happy to shield the Party's leader with their bodies, so Zeviz survives with just minor radiation exposure.

Winner: Zeviz

[ Tuesday, April 29, 2008 13:21: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Originally by Zeviz:
Hey, that ingenious scheme to defeat Alorael using 20 flasks of oil, a summoning trap, diagonal tunnel, 3 wands of polymorph, and a ring of aggrivate monster sounded good at the time.
Heaven help us, somebody is catching on.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has pointed out to me that a large blueberry pie and the lyrics of Weird Al's "ebay" also factor very strongly into these plans, although he refused to share the details.
And no, I didn't show him the thread. He found it on his own.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #86
quote:
NullPointer Exception
For goodness' sake, Zeviz, 0 is not the same as null and you know it! :P

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #87
Last call for opinions Slarty, results are posted tomorrow.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs and Scenarios!!!!!
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #88
By Aran:
quote:
For goodness' sake, Zeviz, 0 is not the same as null and you know it!
What is this 'null' you speak of? I tell you the Truth: there is nothing False but 0 itself. There is only the Pointer, and the unholy void of That Which Is Not Mapped.

--------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl
if ((not 0 && not 1) != (! 0 && ! 1)) { print "Larry and Tom must smoke some really primo stuff...\n" }

[ Monday, May 05, 2008 18:13: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #89
So what you are saying is that the byte at position 0 in memory is not addressable?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #90
As promised here are most of the official matches. Matches 6 and 7 require more research which I don't have time for at the moment.

I would like to thank everyone for your responses. I have weighed them all against my own thoughts and the essence that is Deathmatch. This round seemed tougher than the last one, but I guess I can't expect it to get easier.

To begin, I would like to make one general observation for the matches. This is a 'death' match. It is a fight to the 'death'. Not a fight to the 'ban' or a fight to the 'gets bored/tuckered out'. You are not allowed to walk away unless you have won. The first one to quit fighting is the first one to die.

MATCH #1: -------------------- — Alorael, vs. the Silent Assassin.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin wins very quickly, and he's not going to reveal how.

What? What do you mean I can't do that? Plagiarism? You don't say... Ok, fine.

Let's take stock then. Alo has three items, TSA has one. Alo has three skills, TSA has one. Alo has RW, and TSA killed the only ally he had in round one. Let's face it, if The Silent Assassin can't win very quickly without revealing how, he doesn't stand a chance. Even if he could make it close enough to use his dagger, Alo can change his name and his voice (with Helium). He could pretend to be anyone. And since no one has ever seen that elusive picture of Alorael, The Silent Assassin would have no idea who to use his dagger on.

MATCH #2: The big nose vs. the bacon strip. FIGHT!

Aran starts out at a real disadvantage. He is a strip of bacon after all and ADoS can track him wherever he tries to hide with his nose. With all his surveillance, Aran may know when ADoS is coming but he's not going to be able to hide from him forever. Will ADoS be able to traverse the EE Network and it's daemons in one piece? Of course he can. Aran made it user friendly much to his chagrin. Deity vs. Deity... at the most they'll keep each other busy and out of the match. Fluffy ally vs. fluffy ally would be a very cute fight but it's impact on the match wouldn't be more then stuffing. Face to face then Aran's magic flute works better on ears then noses so he's left with a pose. Unfortunately for ADoS the artist he can't resist a good pose. While ADoS is sketching Arancaytar can use his statistics to calculate the precise location and amount of bacon needed to bury and suffocate a giant nose. BACON DROP!

MATCH #3: The RP player who gives himself infinite power vs. the person to whom everyone else ascribes infinite power for no apparent reason. FIGHT!

Drakey sits quite loftily on his throne of infinite power, but methinks he's gotten lazy. Yet Arcane Blow and Divine Warrior are nothing to sneeze at. Knowledge of the creation of Vahnatai and probably knowledge of how to summon them are also on his side. On the other hand Goldenking has been fraternizing with Alo and has picked up more tricks than just skribbane. One scope later, the golden gun is ready for snipping and Drakey is a sitting duck. He doesn't even have time to wonder whether or not he is allowed to use his ban button in the match.

MATCH #4: Good Christian vs. Evil Overlord. FIGHT!

Poor Dintiradan. None of his evil plans ever work. He is always foiled at the last minute, ALWAYS! The Deth Ray breaks down, the summoning machine backfires, and every Dintiradan clone wants to be the sole evil overlord. What hope does he have of winning this match? Only the hope a judge's discretion may give. Slarty has graciously given me my hand in this round. You see, for this match, Ash is a good Christian. And that can only mean that he has repented of his murderous chain saw massacre days and humbly refuses to lift a hand against Dintiradan. Such is the love of Christ. ;)

MATCH #5: This one also goes way back. FIGHT!

Tully has managed to get himself disqualified from the tournament. A pity really, I was looking forward to the battle. While I can't speak for Tully, I know I've learned a lesson. He who whines about the boards and runs away, lives to whine about the mods another day. Nemesis moves on.

Edit:
MATCH #6: NUKE vs. BOOT. FIGHT!

Lets start by whittling down what won't work. Both the scrying pool and the antimatter machine take way too much time and concentration. Neither Zeviz or Stareye would want to make themselves vulnerable by trying to use them. As far as firepower is concerned, Stareye seems outmatched. I mean what can overcome NUKE or all the allies of EVOL? A boot or glowering stare? Puhleeze, they are hardly deadly. Scripting can be deadly but it takes time to write. Needing to be quicker then a NUKE spell, Stareye's only real playing card is bribery. An ex-admin could be power hungry enough to be distracted by an offer of reinstation. Then once Zeviz sits on Stareye's comfy throne in consideration it's only a broken horsehair away from a 'splitting head' ache for Zeviz and a victory for Stareye.

MATCH #7: Intellectual elegance vs. fishy manliness. FIGHT!

Using SoT's Occam's razor, we throw out everything that is not inherently deadly... Student of Trinity is left with rocks, Salmon gets one of these from his forestry. *ping, ping, plink* SoT gets squashed.

______
As a side note I would like express my surprise at winning in the polls. I didn't know I had it in me.

[ Wednesday, May 07, 2008 08:40: Message edited by: Jewelz ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #91
Hallelujah.

Something tells me I won to cause an upset. But I'm not complaining, as the analysis seemed plausible enough. A'yup.

-Goldenking, who would like to note that he has apparently learned something from Alorael. And that this is the only time he'll do this.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #92
#2 made me laugh a lot. Nice work Jewels.

Judge's Ruling on Match #8:
Jewels' ability to turn the other cheek will protect her from TM's most provocative attacks, including the insults, tentacle crepe, and DIE!. Her walkthroughs will enable her to navigate his traps and defeat the philosophizing evil bosses. The Baath Party will more than likely persecute an American tentacle creature dressed as Jesus on the cross. Too bad about those rakshasi... but the Baath Party is multitudinous and will occupy the tigers for some time. As Jewels enjoys being tickled by TM's tentacles, and even any weather of questionable hue he might conjure, he would need to resort to his last offense: invoking the King of Kings, he can latch onto Jewels, creating a new katamari. Then TM can roll around madly, trying to find something to smash Jewels into. Unfortunately for TM, his bondage with Jewels only strengthens her maternal abilities; and nothing will drive TM crazy so easily as constant nagging. So really, it's a question of whether he is likely able to kill Jewels katamari-style before being driven nuts and crashing his side of the katamari into something instead. Unfortunately for TM, the time Jewels spent as a Family Circus character has given her some insight into erratic movement on a plane around many obstacles, which gives her an advantage at trying to dodge obstacles. The nail in the coffin, though, is the significant chance that TM's tactics will lead him directly into a deadly obstacle himself, due to the illusion of a rakshasi: either because the megalomanaical creatures turn on him, or simply because he rolls into one intended for the Baath. The winner: Jewels, by a hair's breadth.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #93
Booyah!

After over a year of suspense, I win!

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Judge's Ruling on Match #8:
The winner: Jewels, by a hair's breadth.
*Jaw drops* RLY? :D

If you insist, but you realize your duties as judge have just been extended by your own hand. If you would be so gracious as to create our new parings for round 3, we can begin post haste.

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #95
I did that yesterday. Check your PMs.

(Oh, slower than Slarty... burn :)

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #96
Squashed by a Salmon! At least it wasn't quite death by fishstick.

I now endorse Salmon to go all the way and win this thing. Fry those next three opponents in porter batter!

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #97
I'm astonished.

And I would like to point out that my preferred forestry tool is the chainsaw, but in a pinch I would use the feller-buncher for a quicker cut. This isn't to say that an articulated grapple skidder is the wrong tool, as it certainly worked.

Student, you were a stalwart foe, and I will do my best to prove worthy of your support.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
Originally written by Say NO to globularization.:

important goods like potions, scrolls, ammunition, books, staffs, and wands
My typo-introducing Greasemonkey script provides endless hours of amusement.

--------------------

Pages