Another Old School Game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Another Old School Game
Apprentice
Member # 12373
Profile #0
Just got done playing A5 and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Everything about the game is great. Especially the plot line and the inside jokes. Secret skills kept me wondering about my build, but that just added to the fun of it. Wasn't too hard, just right. Kept me honest.

While I am between Avernum games I ran across another game that I just started and it is pretty good, too. It's called Eschalon Book I and they are just about to release a Mac version of it. Though I can say it is not as good as my experience with A5 it is very enjoyable. May wanna give it a try, too.

Other than that. HURRY UP WITH A6. :cool:

--------------------
The quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #1
Give Avernum a break..the Windows compatible one isn't even out yet..it's time for Averforge!

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

Give Avernum a break..the Windows compatible one isn't even out yet..it's time for Averforge!
Die please.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #3
Oh please..sarcasm.. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #4
Avernum 5 was the quickest I've ever played through a spiderweb game. Quickest in days I mean, not hours. I just lived off coffee and Power Edge for a week was all. A5 simply drew me in.

I've also been playing Eschalon: Book 1. It certainly qualifies for the Retro moniker while maintaining a certain amount of modernity (Similar to the recent graphical niceties added to A5). The play style is different from Avernum, Solo vs. party it has more of a DnD or Ultima feel to it while I get a classic FF/Dragon Warrior vibe from Avernum. Which is great, I like Ultima and Dragon Warrior. I'd say if you're done with A5 go take a look at Eschalon while we wait for Geneforge 5.

Some might say they are now competetors, but It seems to me they are both bringing some compelling gameplay to the table and perhaps a couple of Retro Devs can help solidify and grow this market (of superior RPGs). Heck maybe you can get some cross advertising going, it seems as though there are a good number of individuals over there who aren't familiar with Spiderweb. Increased sales for all!

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #5
Ooh..an encumbrance bar..I'm going to try Eschalon..I think it won't be bad..

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 12373
Profile #6
I agree. Besides who cares if there is not a Windows version of A5 yet. That is what VMWare is for. Lets me play Mac on Windows anytime I want.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #7
Hmm..I won't defile my Windows with a Mac Emulator! But..if need be..care to post the link for VMWare?

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #8
quote:

Hmm..I won't defile my Windows with a Mac Emulator! But..if need be..care to post the link for VMWare?
*Drools in desperation*
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #9
Well, I'd argue that most prefer applications in their native platform of choice. I prefer the Mac, so in this situation of Avernum it's win for me. In most cases it's a wait for the Mac builds of most games. I give Vogel extra love because it tickles me to see a Mac version released first.

To be perfectly honest, by the time he makes the Windows builds he's ironed out most of the release bugs so the Windows users do get a benefit of the wait.

Whichever comes first you'll not hear me complain about cross platform releases, especially of good games like Avernum, Geneforge, and Eschalon. More people get to enjoy a good game, and the developer (hopefully) gets to see some financial benefit from that enjoyment.

--------------------
alexkaltsas.com
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Buckshot Party:

quote:

*Drools in desperation*

Bad dog! No drooling on the carpet!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Buckshot Party:

quote:

*Drools in desperation*

It's a moot point, the Mac build is due out in less than a week and in this cause, contains all the bug fixes that have been found in the Windows build of Eschalon.

Installing OS X on anything but apple hardware is against their EULA and probably a pain. I probably wouldn't deal with it (well I have a Mac so I wouldn't) but my geek eye twinkles when I see someone accomplish such geekery filled feats.

--------------------
alexkaltsas.com
Apprentice
Member # 6661
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by macdude22:

Some might say they are now competetors, but It seems to me they are both bringing some compelling gameplay to the table and perhaps a couple of Retro Devs can help solidify and grow this market (of superior RPGs).
I don't get the whole competition thing ... I am loving having two new awesome Mac RPG's to play at once ... they are both very different in many ways, but both very enjoyable. I want more, More, MORE!!! :)

--------------------
Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #13
Does Eschelon have limited available gold?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #14
In a sense they are, there will likely always be individuals that will only buy one or the other. However I think that most that like one would by products from the other. They are similar in charm, quality story, yet quite unique in gameplay style and mechanics. At first I was like solo, I don't do solo. But I've come to enjoy rolling a few different characters and learning to adjust play style accordingly.

The garbage the commercial production houses are calling RPGs these days is appalling. Blue Dragon, Blue Drag On they should have called it. Eternal Sonata was pretty decent but it's a gem in pile of RPG coal. Spiderweb and now basilisk are focusing on what made us love the RPG genre in the first place, great stories, good gameplay (something Final Fantasy used to stand for Pre VIII) Thats what keeps me coming back for more, Spiderweb has been providing the goods and Basilisk seems to be dropping the fun b0mb on us as well.

--------------------
alexkaltsas.com
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

Does Eschelon have limited available gold?
You've got to manage pretty well yes. Theoretically you could rest to get random encounters (which eventually will drop a few items for sale) but it would be very time consuming. You've really do have to manage your money supply, do you have enough for alchemy supplies, for your armor upgrade, for healing services, etc... It's a challenge I managed to spend too much on alchemy supplies and lacked funds for proper armor for some time after.

--------------------
alexkaltsas.com
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
Looks interesting. Now if I can just find the time when it comes out on December 11.

It's really interesting to read the forums on Avernum 4 and 5. Different opinions on what makes a good RPG.
Apprentice
Member # 11742
Profile Homepage #17
With the idea of playing spiderweb games on video game consoles,it would be awesome if spiderweb designed in-game music while in play, for the only music in the game is at the main menu

[ Sunday, December 09, 2007 09:14: Message edited by: ARH ]

--------------------
"DO NOT DISTURB THE SLEEPING MAN, OR YOU SHALL FEEL PAIN FROM THE THRUST OF HIS HAND"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
At this point Jeff probably could get music for reasonable prices and he could probably make it either optional or small enough to make download sizes a non-issue, but the problem is entirely in his mind: he doesn't like in-game music, so he doesn't put it in his games.

—Alorael, who thinks maybe a way to give your own music files to the game and tell it which to play under which circumstances (battle, town, dramatic plot dialogue, and so on) would be nice. It wouldn't be all that great, though, and Jeff probably has better things to program.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
Exile had music, and it was alright actually.

--------------------
"There's a hole in the bucket, dear Excalibur, dear Excalibur..."
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #20
The original version of Exile on the Mac had music. The later versions do not.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Exile had music, and it was alright actually.
It was a MIDI of Bach's Little Fugue in C. It's okay, but there are better free recordings available and listening to it on loop gets old quickly.

—Alorael, who instead proposes having Terry Riley's In C made into background music. It wouldn't even need to loop!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

The original version of Exile on the Mac had music. The later versions do not.
Correction: the original version of Exile did not have music. The original version of Exile II did have music, and when Exile was redone using Exile III style graphics the Bach fugue was added. Exile III never had music, though.

The Exile II music, whatever it was, was spectacularly fitting for the game, and remarkable for its ability to not be annoying even after it looped for the 2000th time.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 12373
Profile #23
hey was away for a couple days. The website for VMware is www.vmware.com. Also Eschalon does have in game music, too. I love the music that is there, too.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2298
Profile #24
Eschalon reminds me a ton of Spiderweb games. It's got a little bit fancier graphics but the gameworld is a LOT smaller. It's a nice first effort game though and I hope to see more of this series.

--------------------
'nut

Pages