Help make Geneforge/Avernum XFire supported!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Help make Geneforge/Avernum XFire supported!
Apprentice
Member # 11729
Profile #0
http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=124773&highlight=geneforge

Yarh. Post there, help the users that use XFire and love the same RPGs that you do.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #1
Wait, what? What is Xfire, who are you, and what are you linking to?

--------------------
It's only an eye, my lord.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #2
Unlikely. Jeff does not have the time or funds for crossing to minor platforms.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Apprentice
Member # 11729
Profile #3
Okay. XFire is an in-game messaging system. I'm Killabreu. I've lingered around the boards but never really posted anything. And, it's not a platform. All it does it say that your playing whatever game, and allows you to take screenshots which can be uploaded to your XFire Profile, or allow you to chat whilest playing. The link I'm providing is to a forum thread on the XFire Forums that is recommending the Geneforge and Avernum series to be added to the list of XFire-compatible games.

Edit : XFire does NOT cost money whatsoever for support. All it does is allow XFire users to do the things mentioned above while gaming. Ingenious.

[ Friday, November 16, 2007 20:20: Message edited by: Killabreu ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
Do you have to modify the original application to work with XFire? Or do you have to develop an XFire 'wrapper' for each application?

--------------------
Familiarity breeds contempt - and children.
- Mark Twain
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Do you have to modify the original application to work with XFire? Or do you have to develop an XFire 'wrapper' for each application?
No. Looking into Xblaze, the third-party Mac Adium plug-in, will make it all a lot clearer since you can more easily see what files the program uses to track games.
Basically, you have the Xfire program and a list of games that Xfire supports. Xfire looks in that list and compares it to the games you got on your system, after it has scanned your HD for games. The games it finds it puts in a seperate list.
Then, whenever you start one of those games, Xfire notices it and changes your in-client status to the name of the game you're playing, including the icon of the game. Basically, what you will need to do to get Xfire to recognize Avernum games, is to enter Avernum's details in Xfire's list of games. However, I would have no idea what those details should be, and I figure it is something only the Xfire team knows how to do (since otherwise others would have done it too, most probably).

[ Saturday, November 17, 2007 02:27: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
So it's basically a kind of spyware that acts with your knowledge and consent. Like last.fm, say. ;)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

So it's basically a kind of spyware that acts with your knowledge and consent. Like last.fm, say. ;)
Yeah, actually, yes :P

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #8
You people are funny. You're such raving neophiles that you ignore the one set of games you *can* do something about in favor of Nethermon (GOTTA SHAPE EM ALL) and Spiderweb's Catalogue 2: This Time Almost 3D, And For More Money.

BoE is open source. If someone really wanted to they could add XFire compatibility into it themselves. But no, Heaven forbid you play a game older than a decade. You'll be the laughingstock of the sixth grade.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
Um... Have you read my explanation of how Xfire works at all?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #10
I'm afraid I don't speak any Dutch.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Najosz Thjsza Kjras:

I am in half a mind to roar with laughter or request a reason why you desire to find some way to insult the whole of creation, other then, say: Play Runescape.

--------------------
You bot. I mod. -Alorael
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #12
quote:

It was Swahili, I believe.

zomg joke.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Annoyed:

I am in half a mind to roar with laughter or request a reason why you desire to find some way to insult the whole of creation, other then, say: Play Runescape.
Because he is Alec, and he does that. And because playing Runescape is in a sense insulting the whole of creation.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

If that's what you call Dutch, then you probably insulted the whole of Holland.

So, did I write Dutch or English in this post?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:

We'll meet later to discuss it.

--------------------
You bot. I mod. -Alorael
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:

We live in a world of uncertainty.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
quote:
quote:
IMAGE(http://8ball.tridelphia.net/WithoutADoubt.gif)

Edit - Added tags

[ Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:17: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
Good, that at least excludes Swahili.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

Because he is Alec, and he does that. And because playing Runescape is in a sense insulting the whole of creation.

If instead of being called "Alec" the poster in question was called "Emperor Tullegolar", how long ago would he have been re-banned? (Since his triumphant return, more than half of Alec's posts were direct personal attacks, vague insults, or completely irrelevant spam. Even TM, despite all the legends about him, didn't have a ratio like this. And then people wonder why new members such as ET assume that trolling is the acceptable behavior on these boards.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

If instead of being called "Alec" the poster in question was called "Emperor Tullegolar", how long ago would he have been re-banned? (Since his triumphant return, more than half of Alec's posts were direct personal attacks, vague insults, or completely irrelevant spam. Even TM, despite all the legends about him, didn't have a ratio like this. And then people wonder why new members such as ET assume that trolling is the acceptable behavior on these boards.)

When I was younger and foolish, I would have tried to defend my besmirched honor - as I did in the many other times this basic pattern (Alec says something, someone else says something about Alec, Zeviz calls Alec worse than Hitler, Alec gets indignant, etc.) has played out. But it seems it has played out often enough, and with so little variation or contrition on your part, that nothing I have to say will change what you have to think.

In fact, no matter how much older, quieter, and more polite I might get, nothing I say or do will change that to you I am still the 14-year-old boy whose politics and language were beyond obscene in your jaundiced sight. The only thing that has changed since you first started trying to abuse me for saying things you didn't care about otherwise is that you've lost the power to do anything about it and the social standing to get anyone else to.

In short, Zeviz, as much as I want to argue you down, tell you I'm not the villain you want me to be, you ain't listening and nobody else much cares any more. Nothing either of us says on the subject is relevant any more - and as little as you might care about that, it leaves me with only one thing to say.

Welcome to Fagotville; population: yuo.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
I don't generally like bumping topics, but I like that Synergy has gotten tired of pretending to know physics and medicine and has moved on to pretending to know climatology. Perhaps next he'll pretend to know economics and tell us about how welfare creates a disincentive to work and most black mothers have children so they can drive Cadillacs. Or maybe he'll pretend to know history and tell us the Holocaust was a big ol' myth perpetrated by the Elders of Zion, albeit a useful one because friendship with the world-dominating Jewish people holds the key to God's blessing. Any which way, his evidently inescapable compulsion to traduce science with his ridiculous, debased scholarship in contrarian buncombe makes him pretty entertaining.

I love this guy. He's so wrong about everything of substance; it's like he couldn't be right if he wanted to. And he's ostensibly got a decade on me, which I suspect he spent landing on his head.
YAY4 Resurrecting a dead thread that was already half-eaten by UBB just for a viscious personal insult.

quote:

quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Yeah, but he's arguably not an idiot, and even those who would debate that point would agree he's not a redneck. :P
You could, technically, say that, but to argue he's not would more or less require one be an idiot as well.

Incidentally, they have bumpkins everywhere. They call 'em bogans in Australia.

quote:

quote:
Originally written by SW:
[uncontainable pederasty]
IMAGE(http://www.teachnet.ie/stpats/2003/louis_walsh/Congratulations6.gif)

quote:
Image containing vulgar language.

Edit: img->url.
quote:

You people are funny. You're such raving neophiles that you ignore the one set of games you *can* do something about in favor of Nethermon (GOTTA SHAPE EM ALL) and Spiderweb's Catalogue 2: This Time Almost 3D, And For More Money.

BoE is open source. If someone really wanted to they could add XFire compatibility into it themselves. But no, Heaven forbid you play a game older than a decade. You'll be the laughingstock of the sixth grade.

Above was posted in discussion about making some other system support SW games. When somebody pointed this out, the reply was:
quote:

(What happened to saying "sorry, next time I will read the thread before replying"?)

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally written by Dragonlorddrakon:
You made up Vanihattati. I never heard of it. and if you didn`t, what could it possible mean?????????
[url=http://userpic.livejournal.com/64396363/210942[/QUOTE]]http://userpic.livejournal.com/64396363/210942
[/url]

Should I continue with my list of examples?

This list was generating by clicking random links from your posting history. Admittedly, the ratio is closer to 25% than 50%, so I apologize for that exaggeration.

[ Wednesday, November 21, 2007 13:43: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
I'm a little stunned, but otherwise I think I'll live through this. Thanks for caring.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #23
The majority of members spam on occasion, which includes Alec. However, I am only irked by his invectives.
--------------------------
Attention passengers: it is not advised to wear your seat belts during a crash landing. Thank you.

[ Wednesday, November 21, 2007 16:10: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I am only irked by his invectives.
That doesn't really leave much to like.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki