Help make Geneforge/Avernum XFire supported!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Help make Geneforge/Avernum XFire supported!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #25
In all seriousness, would one of the parties in charge of enforcing the CoC please formally rebuke Zeviz? He's been haranguing me from authority for years now - in spite of long periods of absence, concilatory behavior, and private and public appeals on my part; it never even stays within the realm of personal vituperation, but hovers consistently in a range between attempting to rouse public scorn and directly working to have me punished from on high.

He has had a hand in most of the times I have endured harsh punishments for banal behavior (including the profound abuse of the power unwisely handed to him in Drakey's absence that I alluded to and which all concerned are familiar with), and where he has not, he has been a consistent voice against clemency, mercy, or lenience. Whenever I plant a seed, he say kill it before it grow. He's a petty, self-righteous fascist, and he's completely unsuited for even the minor powers entailed in forum moderation. By all evidence, allowing him to choose his own clothes is perhaps a bit much.

I think the most unsettling thing is that he sees nothing wrong with this. He's turned an idly abusive but ultimately meaningless exchange between two established members and turned it into a tin-pot show-trial against one of them - one which, in his eagerness to pursue his sixth or seventh such trial against that member, he has already started exhibiting evidence for. Let Zeviz play Josef Stalin on his own time; I think we've all seen enough.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Najosz Thjsza Kjras:

He has had a hand in most of the times I have endured harsh punishments for banal behavior (including the profound abuse of the power unwisely handed to him in Drakey's absence that I alluded to and which all concerned are familiar with)...

For the record, there was only one time when my actions caused Alec's banning. And in that case, the only thing I did was e-mail Spidweb employees a link to a thread containing the famous post. So all those lies about "abuse of power" are worth now just as much as they were 5 years ago.

If I really wanted Alec banned, all I'd have to do would be to again "abuse my power" by sending a single e-mail to Spidweb employees in charge of these boards with the compilation of quotes I've posted earlier in the thread.

PS Alec if you don't like being banned because of the things you say on the boards have you ever considered a radical action of obeying the same rules as everybody else? As a few people have demonstrated, you can't get banned for occasional spam. It takes a special dedicated effort to be banned over, and over, and over, never quite getting the perma-ban.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

If anyone cares, I asked Spiderweb staff for guidance. They banned him. The reason I needed guidance was because I wasn't sure how to respond when one member referred to another as a "Fagot." It wasn't well received...
FYT, and for future reference, fagot is an older spelling. Now the term "******" embraces seven meanings, although two of them are similar. I'm sure the intentions were pure though, and Alec was ... ah ... nope. Derogatory. :rolleyes:

Edit - Sweet. No more discussions on that type of knitting.

[ Thursday, November 22, 2007 01:41: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:

If anyone cares, I asked Spiderweb staff for guidance. They banned him. The reason I needed guidance was because I wasn't sure how to respond when one member referred to another as a "Fagot." It wasn't well received...
FYT, and for future reference, fagot is an older spelling. Now the term "******" embraces seven meanings, although two of them are similar. I'm sure the intentions were pure though, and Alec was ... ah ... nope. Derogatory. :rolleyes:

And this, incidentally, is what Zeviz banned Djur for.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #29
quote:

Did I force you to make any of the posts I've quoted on the previous page?
What on Earth do they have to do with you that you should wander in and try to raise public ire against me?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #30
quote:

EDIT: One side-comment, because I don't want to make this a triple post: My original post was on-topic. It was a derisive way of saying 'why on Earth focus on making Avernum and Geneforge XFire compatible when BoE is easier to do it with, and better besides?' Thralni, your post wasn't relevant to that and I was just being trivial by dismissing it; I'm not a programmer and not qualified to discuss what you were talking about. Then again, I've made a career of dispudanding gustibus, so there you go.

Either I didn't understand what you said, or my post was all but irrelevant to what you said. Reading your post, I understood that the way you think Xfire works is like this:

"The game has to be made compatible with Xfire."

Now that is plain wrong for all I know: it's just the other way around, which is why I asked if you read my post. For if you didn't and the above is indeed how you think Xfire works, than it is your post that is mostly irrelevant.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #31
We're necessarily a lot more intimately familiar with the behavior of BoE. It's better-documented, better-understood, and is going to be better to work with. End of discussion, full stop.

I didn't take the impression you suggested just now out of it - if it were that simple, why didn't you just say so? - but again, BoE is still a better candidate. (That and there's a lot more variability in play experience in BoE than either Avernum or Geneforge - it would take a good month to play through the entire BoE corpus, whereas you'd be hard-pressed to stretch all the material in either of the Avr or Gfg series to a business week.

Then again, what XFire does seems pretty trivial anyway, so . . .

[ Thursday, November 22, 2007 04:04: Message edited by: Najosz Thjsza Kjras ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

Then again, what XFire does seems pretty trivial anyway, so . . .
It is pretty trivial.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #33
I know I'm fairly new here, and I have little knowledge of the debated grudge, but I do have an analysis of the situation.

Zeviz: It does appear that your actions towards Alec are irrational. He isn't any more unreasonable than ET, Iffy, or I.
Alec: I've had enough of the derogatory language. It only expresses anger and does little to further your cause.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Babel Fish: Yes Christ is the pacifist.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
I actually agree with Excalibur. Alec, you really do get away with what no one else would. Age hath its privileges, but would it really hurt to actually be civil? Zeviz, no matter how much Alec pushes at the rules, dragging it into a public fight in an unrelated topic doesn't help anything. If you're concerned, contact someone or say it once, briefly, and let it go.

—Alorael, who will now execute an execution so that the death of this topic is died. Have a nice day.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages