World Series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: World Series
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
It starts tonight, Wednesday the 24th of October. Being a Massachusetts native, I root for the Sox, Pats, B's, and Celts. Now is the time for the Sox, with their stellar bullpen and bats. And since the October madness sale at Spiderweb Software is almost over, I decided to poll the members on how this series will end.

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 1 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=XpTuuhPlHMDa"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=XpTuuhPlHMDa"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Hahaha, "world".

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #2
I don't care much for Baseball. All I know is that I can't wait for it to be over. I am sick of "How 'bout them Rockies?" being the year's most common phrase, I'm sick of people discussing it in class, and I'm sick of people complaining that they didn't get tickets.

That being said, I hope the Rocks destroy the Sox, because I'm not sure I could survive the reaction a loss would bring.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Xian:

Hahaha, "world".
Cry a river to MLB.

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #4
Hello Mr. Jumpin' Salmon, I looked at your poll..and I would have to vote "I don't care" to every question. :::sigh:: I do love baseball..but geesh!! Who the heck cares about the Colorado Rockies??? And the Red Sox? Bah..just another eastern team that I hate. This series is so ho hum and who cares. I'm sorry..I get that you're a Red Sox fan. But I'm not. So....whatever!! Do I just sound bitter? Yep!! I'm just a Twins fan being a really poor sport.

---Zelda

--------------------
Hey, where are we going? And what's with the handbasket?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Zelda:

I'm just a Twins fan being a really poor sport.

Yeah no kidding! I went to a Twins game last summer while I was in town there. I cheered them on to victory, and listened while the fans heckled every Sox fan in the stadium. What is it with people that they aren't content to root for their own team and instead have to jeer the fans of the other? I guess I am too old, remembering how it used to be and not how it is.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #6
Umm..and this is different..where else? I'm not excusing it, but I've also watched games in other cities and the home town crowd is NEVER all that receptive to the opposing team. When they are, it's just pity and that doesn't feel so good either.

But for Minnesota now...we're just pathetic and want everyone else to suffer for it. :::insert evil laugh here::

---Zelda

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Game 7 of the ALCS, the Sox were ahead of the Indians by 5 runs after the 7th. One fan stood up in the bleachers and yelled "Cleveland sucks." No one else did, and he donned his asshat and sat back down. The Boston Globe wrote that up as an example of poor sportsmanship. We have a rivalry with the Yankees, and mostly that goes too far, but I really fail to understand the animosity directed at visiting teams and their fans. If any city is trying to attract outside interest, a baseball stadium is a great venue. Crappy fan attitude can totally ruin that, and I know I won't be going back to the Minnesota to watch a game.

Most fans of baseball appreciate a good game no matter what. Crappy baseball is a different story, but when a shortstop dives for a line drive over second and makes the play, it doesn't matter what uniform he is wearing. Sorry that you can't enjoy it unless the Twins are playing.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:

Umm..and this is different..where else? I'm not excusing it, but I've also watched games in other cities and the home town crowd is NEVER all that receptive to the opposing team. When they are, it's just pity and that doesn't feel so good either.
I'm from St. Louis, and I'm kind of addicted to the Cardinals. And I can honestly say that we don't boo the visiting team all that much. We certainly don't heckle them to the degree that most other cities' fans do.

Granted, we make exceptions every now and then, like when one of our players gets hit by a pitch, or when the Cubs are in town and they score a run that puts them ahead. But even then, we'll stop booing as soon as play continues. Heck, we'll even grudgingly cheer for good plays made by the opposing team every now and then (usually more when we're winning than when we're not).

I can remember two major examples from the last game I went to. It was the last regular-season home game of this season (tickets cost a bunch, but I got a bobblehead out of it), and we were playing the Houston Astros. Craig Biggio, who has played for the Astros forever and had an amazing career, had announced his impending retirement earlier in the season, so this was going to be his last game at Busch Stadium. He got a standing ovation in his first at-bat of the game. Then, when he came up for what looked like it'd be his last at-bat, and with the score tied at one, he got another louder, longer standing ovation, and he tipped his cap to the crowd. Granted, we were all kind of hoping he'd make an out then (he did), but it was the thought that counted.

Then, same game, top of the ninth, still tied. Carlos Lee hits a two-run homer off our closer, and the crowd basically just goes silent. Minimal boos, more of an "Aw..." moment. Granted, we went on to win in the bottom of the ninth before the Houston Closer recorded a single out, but that's beside the point.

Fact of the matter is, Cards fans are the best in baseball. I have more stories, but that's the best one. Thank you and good day. :P

EDIT: Go Rockies!!! NL Forever!

[ Thursday, October 25, 2007 16:51: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #9
The Giants will win against the Red Sox in the World Golf Series.

Translates as: I do not care about sports unless I'm at a game, my team is winning (unlikely), I'm playing, it's rubbishball, or it's real football.

--------------------
"This is the King of the Knob Goblins. All Knob Goblins everywhere bow to his rule! Which would be impressive, if there were Knob Goblins anywhere except Cobb's Knob."
Warrior
Member # 961
Profile #10
By Ephesos:

"Fact of the matter is, Cards fans are the best in baseball. I have more stories, but that's the best one. Thank you and good day.

EDIT: Go Rockies!!! NL Forever!"

I grew up in Missouri and Arkansas..After the Twins the Cards are definitely my team. But my point still remains..NOBODY is good to the opposing team. I will admit that the Card fans do try to excercise good southern manners.But they can't always. And what the heck? Go Rockies?? That's just..wrong.

Much love

---Zelda

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

I will admit that the Card fans do try to excercise good manners.
FYT. It's just good sportsmanship, doesn't matter where you're from.

quote:
Go Rockies?? That's just..wrong.
I don't see why. They worked hard to get there, they haven't been to the World Series yet, and they're an underdog from the NL. That means that I have to root for them, particularly against the Red Sox, titan of the "let's have one guy that just hits" AL, who made history when they paid 50 million dollars just to negotiate with a pitcher for a contract.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Minnesota fans have gotten beaten up recently, mostly by the late season failures of the Twins but also because of the total failure of the Vikings management. I figure that every single person in professional team sports is the cream of the crop. Almost 300 million people in this country and we can't fill the teams from within, so they must be good. Evidence shows that Randy Moss was good, but it was management that failed him. Ownership agreed and shuffled coaches, but to no avail. And we don't even mention the North Stars. What a huge mistake that one was. Almost like the NHL wanted to make hockey fail and figured transplanting teams from the frozen tundra to the irrigated desert was the only trick left in their book.

Teams I root for include : Twins, Cubs, Indians, Orioles. Teams I root against : New York.

Since I am 3,300 miles away from my home team, I rarely am exposed to the financial antics pulled by John Henry and Theo Epstein. I know Dike-K cost them a bunch of money, which is ridiculous, but I take some solace in the mediocrity that resulted. Nobody should be earning that much money, and no team should charge that much for tickets.

I would buy season tickets to my local minor league team if they affiliated with a team I cared about. A friend in Boston that has season tickets reported to me this morning that the Sox locked it up last night, and this series would be lucky to get past 5 games. He was in the Keys, not at the game, and seemed more interested in the BC win over VTech, so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I just want to watch more good baseball, like that Papelbon pick-off play at first. Pure beauty.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 9350
Profile #13
I'd like Boston to win. Where i live, we used to go to the AAA games, and boston was the parent team of our team....plus the fact that boston has come SO close so many times...they deserve the win. The Rockies are still a "young" team. Let them suffer a few losses to really appreciate a world series win......
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Daredevil54:

The Rockies are still a "young" team. Let them suffer a few losses to really appreciate a world series win......
Nobody else actually wants to wait 97 years, you know... but that's low. The Rockies are definitely young. They're hungry. If they can pull it off, and I think they can, it'd be amazing.

And after the 2004 Series, I can't stand to see the Sox win again.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

And after the 2004 Series, I can't stand to see the Sox win again.
What about that makes you wish that? I rooted for the Cardinals when they won the Series, and I would root for the Cubs if they ever figure out the Heimlich. I would have rooted for Cleveland if they had beaten Boston in the ALCS. Being a lifetime fan of the Sox, I don't understand how so many have become so opposed to them finding success, especially with so many teams in the past 10 years making it to the Series.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
Okay, fair enough... I'm just a little sensitive to big money AL teams with monstrous DHs winning anything. I'd much rather see a small-market homegrown team like the Rockies win it for once.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
I empathize. Part of the charm of the Red Sox was that they weren't a highly paid team. That was the thing about the Yankees that made them so easy to despise. I like the underdog teams, which is what the Sox have been for many years.

I find it suspect though that a lot of sports fans love to hate the Patribots too. Maybe it is the "America's Team" syndrome, like what struck Dallas in the 80's, where a whole city is nominated for hatred because of their universal success. I know I thought Staubach and crew were a bunch of nancy boys.

Maybe next year a NL franchise will break through as the clear leader of the pack, much like the White Sox did, and cruise through the post-season. It would only be fair.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
I would have liked it to go more than 4 games.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
Agreed. Very lame.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
Meh, I caught a few games, but when it's on at 3am, and I don't even know any teams, I found it hard to care.

Of course, the fact that you American's get so excited about a game of rounders is very endearing. Bless you.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - BoA Scenarios and poetry.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Nobody else actually wants to wait 97 years, you know... but that's low.
Bah. Try being a Cubs fan. This was our 99th year without a win. :P

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
I think it's precious how the English get all excited and patriotic about kickball.

Is it tea time yet?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I think it's precious how the English get all excited and patriotic about kickball.

Is it tea time yet?

It is, but we're out of strawberry jam for the scones. Terribly sorry, old bean.

--------------------
"And the history books forgot about us, and the bible didn't mention us, the bible didn't mention us, not even once.
You are my sweetest downfall- I loved you first, I loved you first.
"

Nikki's Nook - BoA Scenarios and poetry.