Love Life Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Love Life Poll
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #50
How did somebody manage to get married before 18? I thought you couldn't even sign legal documents at that age (or at least that's what I was told when trying to open a checking account at 16). Or do these laws differ in different places?

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #51
With parental permission I think you can get married before you're 18. Bad idea in my opinion.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

This topic is about people of the opposite sex.
I wonder how many people go with the same sex.

As Dikiyoba pointed out, that's not true; who do you think the comment about being barred from marriage was intended for? I actually almost included a question on what age you were first 100% sure of your sexual orientation, but decided that would be pretty useless in purely quantitative form.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #53
Given that my love life is a permanent undercurrent in these boards, I don't suppose I have to say much about it here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

They seem to be observations to me. How are Alec's observations wrong?
His percentages were pulled out of thin air. It's not really the sort of thing you could easily or accurately gather statistics on, and I personally would place the percentage of so-called "jack-mormons" as significantly lower.

Other than that, it is not so much that he is wrong as that, for no apparent reason, he decided to vent his personal dislike by making wild generalizations and exaggerating extreme cases about Mormon culture in a very negative way that dramatically misrepresents the actual doctrine and teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #55
Yeah, but...

Maybe he just read Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven. That is enough to make anyone question the intentions of the Morman tradition.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #56
1. 16
2. 18
3. 16
4. 16
5. I haven't been married!
6. 2
7. Yes

Everyone matures at a different rate. I don't see how being under 18 means that one can't have a serious and productive relationship. America happens to be one of the few cultures that sets such a high age for adulthood.

I put two for serious relationships because if they feel serious or feel like love to you then they probably are at the time at least. My most recent was a long distance relationship that lasted over two years. That ended simply because that was all it was going to be, not because I didn’t love him.

Edit: late edit due to internal server error...

[ Tuesday, June 19, 2007 09:11: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #57
This is an interesting topic.

Not married
Yes

I put 'yes' for 7 just because I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Earlier this year I had a fling with a girl for a few week(end)s that I think she wanted to develop into a relationship, but I wasn't interested - my main internal reasoning was the realization that she was too boring to spend a lot of time with. Basically, she was nice and pretty, but not my type. So I continued to do the college thing, but always on the lookout for someone who was "my type" (and I've realized over the years that I do have a 'type').

One of those girls who is my type also happens to be one of my friends - we've massively flirted in the past, but it always stopped when her boyfriend of six months came to pick her up. And so that's what that was, until sunday when I got a text message from her saying that they'd broken up. And so that's where I stand ... except for a half hour phone conversation and plans to visit in a few weeks.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

... And so that's where I stand ... except for a half hour phone conversation and plans to visit in a few weeks.
Best of luck, Drakey.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #59
Things are falling apart with my beautiful girl.

But those pieces seem to be falling right into place with her equally amazing best friend!

At first I was quite bummed. Now I don't care and I feel a little bit scandalous. Haha.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #60
quote:

All this coming from our resident 7-year-old. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 5505
Profile Homepage #61
I had a bit of trouble with the "serious" relationship thing...
I'm not sure how that's defined, if it by thinkin' about the whole marriage thing, well, I basically said I don't think I'd ever get married, that is until I saw my wife at a cafe on Maui...
Love at first sight, spirit partner... you bet...
Before meeting her, the whole "love at first sight" thing I totally blew off, I figured that it wasn't worth it and my life would be better off solo. But now, couldn't imagine being without her.
We actually made lists of what we wanted in our ideal partner, I had mine finished two months prior to the meeting but my list was stolen the day before we met and I said that the spell was cast to my friend. She was just finishing up her list when I walked into the cafe and she told her friend that I was the guy...
Yes, the ultimate love story... I'm living it...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #62
quote:

...until sunday when I got a text message from her saying that they'd broken up. And so that's where I stand ...
Ah, to be a college freshman again. The days when my nickname was "the homewrecker," and legitimately so...

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #63
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

They seem to be observations to me. How are Alec's observations wrong?
His percentages were pulled out of thin air. It's not really the sort of thing you could easily or accurately gather statistics on, and I personally would place the percentage of so-called "jack-mormons" as significantly lower.

Other than that, it is not so much that he is wrong as that, for no apparent reason, he decided to vent his personal dislike by making wild generalizations and exaggerating extreme cases about Mormon culture in a very negative way that dramatically misrepresents the actual doctrine and teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I did pull the percentages out of you know where, but really, so does anyone else - 'jack mormon' is a complete generality. Depending on how much give you want to have, either Hitler is a good Mormon (being retroactively converted and all, and hey - nobody's perfect) or nobody except Jesus and Joseph Smith are. Same goes for any other religion.

I'd say a majority of people who consider themselves any religion, especially a religion like American Christianity which doesn't invite severe social stigma, are largely unfamiliar with the rules and regulations they're ostensibly living by, and usually allow their conscience to guide them. The two seldom line up as well as they like to think.

In other words, if there were such a term, the same thing I had to say about 'jack Mormons' would be true about jack Catholics and jack Evangelicals.

I'd call the difference a spiritual one - between those willing to proselytize and those simply Mormon by default. It's present in every faith.

I'm not attempting to be inflammatory. If it makes you feel better, I'll make a point of saying that you're just as bad as every other kind of Christian - you're no wonkier than the Copts or the Presbyterians as far as belief goes.

I'm not touching the issue of documentary authenticity with a ten-foot pole as long as you don't. By belief alone, there's a few good things and many bad things to be said of LDS, the same as any other religion or social philosophy.

And ease up on the oppression narrative, Utah boys. Someone taking what you believe to the cleaners isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch about unless they drag you along for the ride - and no one, but no one, elected to sit in office in Salt Lake City is going to bring a legal cudgel to bear against you for being LDS.

[ Thursday, June 21, 2007 01:33: Message edited by: Najosz Thjsza Kjras ]
Apprentice
Member # 9018
Profile #64
Zeviz et al, this forum is an international forum - and not just American ;) . In GB you are an adult at the age of 16 (also where High School ends), and can get married at that age too. You can also buy a house. But you can't drive until you are 17. Yes, our legal system is a bit pants.

As for my love life; not so well at the moment, I've been single for about 7 months now - and i'm not really fussed to be honest. I don't think I can be arsed with a relationship for a while yet - and as i'm going travelling next year I think I'll just stick with the one nighters.
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #65
Had my first "everything" at 17... he was 15.

I've never been married, probably won't ever be [though its not impossible.]

I've been in a total of 2 serious relationships, and I'm starting on a third.

I was suprised as hell when I hit "submit" 36-50some percent of the people always choose "never"?!

*Dances* I feel like less of a nerd x.x

[ Tuesday, July 03, 2007 20:13: Message edited by: Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder. ]

--------------------
HIHI!!!! *hugs indescriminantly* take that, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!
Apprentice
Member # 1109
Profile #66
I seem to be the odd duck here. Married for 9 years now; have kids by two different women, including my current wife.

37-39
7 (really, it depends on what you define as a serious relationship; could be anywhere from 4 to 10 or more; I've had a wide variety of relationships over the years)
yes

Gordon
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #67
What surprises me most about the internet is the graphic things its users are exposed to, and the extent to which most of them are deprived. I bet plenty of you are virgins AND know what a "dirty sanchez" is. I bet none of us has, er, executed the D.S. and if you have I don't care to hear you recall it.

There needs to be a spiderweb orgy.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #68
Speak for yourself.

--------------------
When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the first snowfall. I would run to the door and yell, "Let me in! Let me in!"
- Emo Philips
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #69
Isn't that what all those chats were?

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #70
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

Isn't that what all those chats were?
I know it was as good for you as it was for me.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #71
Yeah, I was really surprised at the statistics too.

Then again, this IS the internets. And I gotta admit it's been a while for me ... I better spend some more time at the bar.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #72
If you're so surprised by the statistics can you tell me what the age of the average poster here is?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #73
How old are you poll

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #74
Well, it seems that most of us are single and satisfied.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.

Pages