The Simplest Path

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Simplest Path
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #0
Has anyone else read "The Simplest Path"?

--------------------
You are asleep.

Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

So it goes.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #1
No. Have you read 'Survivor's Guide to the Apocalypse'?

--------------------
When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #2
Nalyd read the "Special Christian Believer Edition" of "The Survivor's Guide to the Apocalypse" for kicks. Nalyd wonders how stupid the author must have felt come New Years Eve, 2000.

[ Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:14: Message edited by: Necro-Master ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #3
I have read 'Survivor's Guide to the Apocalypse'. Quite funny.

The reason for my post was that "The Simplest Path" is really quite an interesting manual(?) on how to free your mind from the destructive influence of Memes. I thought it might make for interesting discussion.

In someways, the book is kind of full of crap. Alternatively, you may find it turns you into Jesus or Buddha, or some such spiritual guru. I am now a Jesus like figure, except I don't believe in God (well the Christian one anyway - on the other hand, I guess a Christian "God" is conceivable) and that I am pretty much the same as I always was. Was there really a "Jesus" anyway?

I guess that explains why I can turn water into wine. Anybody have some water?

--------------------
You are asleep.

So it goes.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #4
(censored due to somehow being against the CoC)

Disclaimer: I apologize for the content you don't get to see and you having read this disclaimer(and that next post of mine). We here at the Church of James the Deity would also like to apologize to any women who saw and were offended by the recently censored post. It was intended to show the horribleness of men while at the same time teaching the glorification of women. At the Church of James the Deity, our goal is to make women happy and not be offensive to them, because without women, there would be entirely too many Star Trek fans and Card Game Obsessed Geeks.

[ Wednesday, May 30, 2007 18:23: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
It's astonishing that you actually just wrote that. Mind the CoC, m'kay?
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #6
Consider it edited... And thus I say 'boo for pro-male sexism' and 'yay for female rights'

[ Wednesday, May 30, 2007 18:21: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
I think it was the poking. TM got banned for posting something similar (though it was a lot more... well, it's really hard to describe without breaking the CoC :) ).

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #8
Well, problem solved.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Bandit Keith:

...our goal is to make women happy and not be offensive to them, because without women, there would be entirely too many Star Trek fans and Card Game Obsessed Geeks.
*is highly offended and slightly saddened*

Women can be Star Trek fans too, and there can never be enough Card Game Obsessed Geeks. :(

:P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #10
Oh for the love of... Er, I mean. We at the Church of James the Deity would like to apologize for that highly offensive statement and are planning on adjusting the statement. Unfortunately, due to male stupidity, the needed corrections will not be scheduled for completion for at least a week.

EDIT: J, PM

[ Wednesday, May 30, 2007 19:10: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
I applaud the post count increase, while decrying any partisan favortism. Yayboo!

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12

(crickets)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #13
I am sad to see that this topic has been so derailed.

Admittedly, it is at least in part my fault. My initial post was not direct enough.

I am really interested in discussing memes and how they dominate our lives.

Memes are a concept originally introduced by "The Selfish Gene" by Dawkins.

"The Simplest Path" takes the idea of Memes to a new level. The premise is that to achieve a state of self actualization, enlightenment, or whatever you want to call it, we have to escape from the viral memes that infect our minds.

How valid is the idea of viral memes?

For a definition of meme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Interesting essay on viral memes:

http://members.cox.net/xocxoc/philosophy/scheme2.htm

--------------------
You are asleep.

So it goes.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Is not the idea of freeing oneself and others from viral memes itself a viral meme?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #15
Somehow, "freeing one's self from the influence of viral memes" causes echoes of buddhism to ring in my head. And I can't stop thinking that both religion and war are, in part, viral memes...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #16
IMAGE(http://photos-775.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v63/66/76/141300885/n141300885_30562775_4613.jpg)

Is hereby awarded to Lone Flame.
:P

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #17
quote:
Is not the idea of freeing oneself and others from viral memes itself a viral meme?
Yes. However, the meme in this case would be more accurately described freeing oneself from all memes .

Your next question may be: "Then isn't just as dangerous a meme?"

Initially it is just another infectious meme, however, if this meme is played out to its natural end, won't it ultimately eliminate itself. You have to start somewhere.

Words lend themselves to the formation of memes since they are imprecise and have both connotation and denotation. The realization that each individual must ultimately free himself from this meme too, is contemplated.

--------------------
You are asleep.

So it goes.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #18
Thank you, Lenar. I humbly accept this most prestigious award.

Back to the memes thing. Having taken college Psychology & high school Sociology and watched countless programs on the History Channel, I am clearly (not) an expert in the field of human studies and behavioral sciences. Now, I have never liked self-reinforcing concepts(such as imaginary numbers), which are concepts where you try to follow the explanation of something and said explanation is essentially a big loop with no valid outside inputs. Through thorough (fake) scientific analysis, I have come to the conclusion that memes are just that, a self-reinforcing concept with no outside support. There simply is no practical way to prove or disprove the validity of the theory.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Some Slimy Idiot:

Yayboo!
For once, I think Salmon has hit the nail on the head here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
Viral memes are the new engrams, eh? Well, memes shmemes. I'll just try to purge my mind of bad ideas, as everyone since before Socrates has advised. That ought to take care of all the viral memes that need taking care of.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Viral memes
Be she en nem a agi va lay me sha nu nu la ge agi mem ga agi sa sa sa ti vo nu be ra le ra de ka sa mu va na ka se ta vu li ba.

IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/images/misc/snowcrash.png)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #22
What is self-reinforcing about imaginary numbers?

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
I hereby call for the immediate banning of Aran for posting harmful material.

—Alorael, who actually isn't sure that invoking a motif of harmful sensation is against the CoC. He hereby calls for an amendment!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #24
As anyone who's dealt with the subject before knows, Imaginary Numbers are essentially numbers that don't and can't exist. In the case of College Algebra(where I first encountered the concept), they are the 'square root of negative one' which according to standard math rules isn't possible. Now, the math for imaginary numbers, in addition to not accomplishing anything, is based off of equations that ultimately loop around back to the beginning with no viable input other than its own equations. To put it in more simple terms it's like looking up a word in a dictionary and getting another word for the definition. Then when you look up the other word it leads you back to the original word. Hence the term 'self-reinforcing loop'.

--------------------

Pages