Crafting?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Crafting?
Apprentice
Member # 8770
Profile #0
Is it possible to craft in these games? I just downloaded the trial version of Geneforge and was curious about that.
Thanks!
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #1
No, it's not.

But it should be.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
Why does everyone keep requesting this? I really don't think crafting is all that fun.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
I think "everyone" is jamesmcm requesting it in about four different threads.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #4
I didn't start this thread :)

See, there are other people who want it too.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Where did this crafting thing originate? If you seriously feel the need to make junk, take a course at your local community college, bring it to the state fair, and sell it. It will provide a whole wealth of practical experience that won't be found in these games, especially if there actually was crafting, which would mean that Jeff had finally succumbed, and gibbered as his main form of communication.

Runescape. Pffff.

Edit - Forgot the common comma.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 07:29: Message edited by: Some Slimy Idiot ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #6
Haha, i don't play runescape, honest :)

But yeah, i just think it would be a cool system and give more variety instead of just hack'n'slash, or implement a spell-making system like TES series.
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Renlaan:

Is it possible to craft in these games?
The answer to this particular question depends on what set of games you mean by "these".

quote:
I just downloaded the trial version of Geneforge and was curious about that.
In Geneforge 1 there is no crafting, IIRC. In Geneforge 2 there are the item quests which are a prelude to proper crafting in 3 and 4. So, yes, there is crafting in these games, just not all of them.

quote:
Thanks!
We live to help.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
[Edit: Beaten to it, but at least it's slightly different information.]

Originally by Renlaan:

quote:
Is it possible to craft in these games? I just downloaded the trial version of Geneforge and was curious about that.
The closest you can get to crafting is the enchanted anvils in G3 and G4 which allow you to create and enchant a few items. That's it.

Dikiyoba.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 07:30: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #9
I've yet to play any game where crafting is a fun and necessary part of the game. Most crafting is roughly on the level of "find the ingredients, push te button", and presto!

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 07:37: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #10
It adds another level of gameplay though, but yes i do see what you mean, in that it's quicker and easier just to drop weapons instead of the ingredients to create weapons. However, it does give less choice.

I still think a spell-making system a la Morrowind and Oblivion be added though.

But, IMO, the main thing that should be added is the ability to assassinate people and still continue the story or have it as an alternative, so if for example, there's a quest where you have to pay someone to persuade them to do something it would be nice to have the choice to physically coerce them into doing it if your were strong enough.

Or the ability to rob stores, perhaps a day/night engine would be good where you can sneak in the night to break into stores, etc. Just a thought, it would need good AI too though, But would add a HUGE amount of gameplay.

And how about separate faction relationships and quests like an assassins guild, thieves guild, etc. I know it probably sounds like i want to turn it into a 2d Elder Scrolls game, hehe.

Remember, the most important aspect of RPG's is freedom, choice and opportunity.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #11
Not necessarily. Good gameplay and interesting background story can make any CRPG several grades better, even if those qualities restrict the freedom of the player. Lots of small, meaningless junk will lose to one, well thought out and developed feature.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by jamesmcm:

Remember, the most important aspect of RPGs is replayability.
FYT.

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #13
Define "replayability". I have many games that are very railroaded, yet I've played them more than some of the more "non-linear" ones. For example, i've only gone throught the first Geneforge for four times, where as I've taken my time and played Metroid Prime through seven times. Why? 'Cause even if Metroid Prime has less freedom of choice in it, there are many memorable moments in it that can only be witnessed by going through over and over again. Geneforge has more freedom, yes, but it did not offer as many great moments, and thus I don't see much point in going through many uninteresting areas to see the few neat ones.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #14
Yeah, that's why there needs to be less grinding in RPG's both singleplayer and multiplayer. it just gets so tedious and boring.

Why not have an RPG where you can choose to start as a decent thief or a decent warrior and then fight in the army or rob shops, etc.

I'm fed up of having to start from the basics in every RPG, the best RPG i have seen for this is Oblivion, in that you can finish the game at any level, there are a multitude of skills and possibilities, as you practice a skill you improve, no bland exp. points, there is good AI and a decent stealth system, etc.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

Define "replayability".
Why me? You did a fine job.

Really, if you find Geneforge 1 to be less replayable than Metroid, then it fails that test, for you. Others may enjoy tweaking their experience by using limitations. There are 3 player types, and several alliance paths. You can limit your creation work or canister use. You can figure out alternate routes.

I'm not saying G1 is the most replayable game out there, but for some people it may be moreso than for you. What it seems to lack, for you, is reward-stages. FF did that with their save-points. You knew something important had been accomplished because you had that opportunity. Clearing a zone just doesn't have the same effect, especially when you need to advance 10 more zones and then return in order to really clear it. (Hill of Jars).

--------------------
quote:

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
quote:

Why not have an RPG where you can choose to start as a decent thief or a decent warrior and then fight in the army or rob shops, etc.
Please explain how seeing GAME OVER!!! when you die in a war, or are caught stealing and thrown in prison, would be an enhancement to your gaming experience. Seriously. Solve those two issues. Because if the game allows for PCs to be advanced enough at the start, the NPCs have to also be as advanced, or you lose balance and reality.

--------------------
quote:

Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #17
True, i guess it is a staple aspect of RPGs.

But i don't think it should be limiting on the the possible opportunities with in the game. I mean you could always have places where it's easier to steal, and battle where it's easier to kill. But then we're back to boring, repetitive gameplay. Bugger.

EDIT: But Jeff has stated that in Avernum 5, we won't start as Noobs so it'll be interesting to see how he tackles it.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 09:27: Message edited by: jamesmcm ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #18
quote:

I mean you could always have places where it's easier to steal, and battle where it's easier to kill.But then we're back to boring, repetitive gameplay.
No, we aren't. It's all about how that stuff is implemented: taking the easier route may not take you where you wanted, but it can still be rewarding and advance the plot. Those easy places can have other functions than simply supplying your characters with experience and loot.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #19
Exactly, but i still think that new features such as a day/night and stealth engine should be implemented. I mean where's the harm? I would rather have new features than just another run-of-the-mill fantasy game. In fact i would even prioritize gameplay and features over plot.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
Where's the harm? Putting time into those features means there's less time to go into other features. Or plot. And people care about other features (as evidenced by A4's and G4's sales figures) and also about plot (as evidenced by the whining over A4).

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
The more systems there are in a game, the more work someone has to do to balance them. Geneforge already has a serviceable stealth system. It does what it needs to do. It has a system for theft. It's simple, true, but it gets the job done. It doesn't have day/night, but it could. On the other hand, what would it add, really?

—Alorael, who doesn't play games for their completeness or realism. He plays them for fun, and Jeff already has a solid grasp on that.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
If you want day and night play Avernum 3 or Nethergate: Resurrection. You will find it gets boring quickly. Or Avernum 1 and 2 where all the shops close once a year and you have to find something to do while waiting to sell all that loot.

I'm waiting for Jeff to really punish theivery by jacking up the prices in town after you steal a certain amount. Hey the merchants are just covering their losses.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
james, if you want something like Oblivion, as you keep pointing out, then just go play Oblivion.

I will say, though, that the augmented items in A3 were a really fun little bonus. I miss them.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #24
I just think the thieving system should be improved to make it more fun. In order to do this, Jeff could add a day/night system and good AI so the AI go back to their homes at night-time.

Pages