Moderators

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Moderators
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Alorael:

But Aran! you know þæt wæs god cyning!
I think that it's from Beowulf, but it been much longer than Iffy's been alive since I read it.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #76
I tried looking for that quote, because I figured that I would've remembered that or I'd at least like to see it. I didn't find it.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #77
Faust is supposed to have studied lots of things. Marlowe's version also whips him through most of what passed then for knowlede in a short soliloquoy. But how precisely did he qualify for his title of Doctor? For that matter, how did anyone, in Faust's day?

As to Alas, Theology, perhaps the English translator just needed another foot.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #78
I think back in Faust's day, anyone who went to a university and completed the program was qualified as a Doctor. As opposed to those that practiced the profession of doctor which just involved knowledge of how to"cure" someone. That's why barbers were doctors and their poles were red and white striped to symbolize their "abilities."
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #79
With humble deference to Kel...
Doctor is mediaeval Latin for "teacher", from Latin docere, to teach.
Thus there was no degree of doctorate at that time, but simply the recognition in a Latin-using literate population that the "doctor" had knowledge to share, and teach, to others who wished to learn, or study from him.
It's pretty similar to somebody becoming a guru.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #80
My favourite translation of that passage (Walter Kaufmann's) actually goes "alas, philosophy" but not "alas, theology":

quote:
I have, alas! Philosophy,
Medicine, Jurisprudence too,
And to my cost Theology,
With ardent labour, studied through.
And here I stand, with all my lore,
Poor fool, no wiser than before.
Magister, doctor styled, indeed,
Already these ten years I lead,
Up, down, across, and to and fro,
My pupils by the nose,--and learn,
That we in truth can nothing know!
That in my heart like fire doth burn.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #81
Who can you define intelligence Muffin?
All i can see is a form of self glory.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #82
Wikipedia claims that Faust got his degree in 'divinity' — that is, theology — from Heidelberg, in 1509. (So much for Heidelberg, harumph.) Apparently the second degree in canon law, theology or medicine made one a Doctor in the late middle ages, whereas in other subjects one became a Master. Another source I found specifies that this Faust's Heidelberg degree was only a Bachelor's, however. Identifying this historical Faust with the legendary magician is of course conjectural. I expect anyone who could pretend to education could get away with styling themselves Doctor.

Goethe's original has 'ach, Philosophie' and 'leider ... Theologie', so both translations seem to be reasonable. Our guy was down on both subjects.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #83
I'd like to voice my opinion about this.
quote:
Edit: To the only officially intelligent person here (he has a Ph.D. [Smile] ):
Sigh...I don't think a degree is a measurement of intelligence (neither is IQ but that's another subject). What it does mean, is that you spent time and money to study the subject, and hopefully earn a higher salary in return.

quote:
I think that it's from Beowulf
I love that book!

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #84
I quoted the second half of the 11th line of Beowulf at Aran. I can't say I really love the poem, but it's too much of an ancient epic for people not to read it. And I still apparently have the first big chunk memorized.

—Alorael, who learned everything he knows about Old English from Lord of the Fire Lands. Mediocre book, neat language.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #85
What is particular to Beowulf is that it survived. Not many other epic poems have done that, especially those originating within the 10th century.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 15:51: Message edited by: Some Slimy Idiot ]

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #86
Since I have to chair a PhD defense today, I feel like offering the hope that a PhD does require a relatively high level of intelligence — unless of course it is just bought from a degree mill.

In private universities it's a real issue for a program, whether and how to eject students who may have paid a hundred grand in tuition, but just don't seem to be making the grade. Generally though they bite the bullet and do it, when the case is clear, because in the long run they'll get more students paying those high tuitions if the degree continues to be seen to mean something, than if they get the reputation as a place where you pay your money, do your time, and pick up your diploma.

It certainly doesn't certify anyone as a genius, though. Having a PhD is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for being brilliant.

Having said all that, the winnowing out phase of graduate school happens well before the final defense of the thesis. If you get that far, it's pretty much impossible to fail.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #87
Hm. I've only heard of the process of "defending" a doctorate thesis from the Netherlands... is that common elsewhere, too?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #88
You almost always have to defend your thesis to get your PhD as far as I know, the final test to prove your mastery of the topic and whatnot.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #89
The requirement for formal defense is universal. After all, it's the only way to guarantee that anyone ever reads your thesis. And it's pretty important that doctoral degrees from all over the world are recognized as equivalent, so the procedures are actually very similar in all countries.

[ Wednesday, May 23, 2007 05:32: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #90
In some countries (eg France) it is customary to defend one's thesis in public, while in others (eg UK) it is a private misery. In some UK universities even the PhD supervisor is excluded, and the student defends in front of the examiners all alone...
It is a check that the student is at least acquainted with the contents of the thesis, and can demonstrate that they more or less understand it (to show that the student has not simply presented work performed and written up by some third party).
In the UK it is very difficult to fail at the point of defending the thesis: the supervisor should not allow a thesis that is unpassable to be submitted. In general it is also impossible here to pass without some corrections or adjustment being demanded by the examiners: it is a form of machismo on their part. (This can take the form of "correcting" the use of colons or semicolons, if the examiners can't find anything else.) Thus the result is almost always pass with minor revisions or pass with major revisions.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #91
Huh — I guess that really is the main practical purpose of the defence, to catch people who didn't do the work themselves. In most cases a student works closely enough with an advisor that they couldn't get away with hiring a ghost-writer. But there are rare cases of more independent work. And there is the subtler problem that can happen if an advisor is too busy, of a student managing to squeak through by relying too much on collaborators. This I can really see happening, because it can take a lot of patience to let a student take weeks to do something themselves, which you could do yourself in a day. If you only had a day.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #92
I remember one friend's defense where an examiner fell asleep and when woken said it wasn't his area of interest and went back to sleep. This started a discussion on how many people actually read the dissertation besides the advisor.

I did hear of one graduate student that was failed for being universally disliked by her department. It was said that her work was marginal and if she hadn't been so hated she might have been allowed to pass. But since it was a poor job they went after her.

[ Wednesday, May 23, 2007 14:28: Message edited by: Randomizer ]

Pages