Conservapedia

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Conservapedia
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #0
It's like Wikipedia, but for conservatives!

http://www.conservapedia.com

Please note that conservatives are always American. The rest of you are pinkos whether you know it or not.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #1
Ah, it's not inordinately slow anymore!

That's not good news.

And it's still uneducated and biased, as usual. At one point, it claimed evolution violated the second law of thermodynamics because it "lowered the sum of entropy in DNA", though I'm not sure if that was the exact wording.

I've heard said law was "Heat will never spontaneously flow from a cold system to a hot one." That seems to be very simplified, according to Wikipedia.

And, Unicorns=ceratopsians! EUREKA!

[ Wednesday, March 07, 2007 18:03: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
This woman makes me sick.

EDIT: Here's a video of this one incident.

[ Wednesday, March 07, 2007 18:47: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Evolution, or at least the origin of life, requires a local decrease in entropy. How fortunate for us that the Earth is not a closed system!

—Alorael, who knows which wiki he'll continue to use as the source of all knowledge of dubious provenance.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
The only good thing about Conservapedia is the absurdly huge amount of trolling that goes on there. Sometimes it's hard to tell which articles are serious and which ones aren't.

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 02:41: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
There are conservatives outside America. It's just that relative to America's conservatives, the most rabid conservative outside America is a flaming communist.

My parents rant about China taking over the global economy and Turkey joining the EU and daycares getting more public spending, but they still believe Bush is a moron. :P

In other news, Demopedia started back in October or November 2004. But it was not terribly successful, and I don't see how its counterpart would fare differently: A field whose basic concept is to make people think what you want them to think has no business starting up a repository of knowledge.

Once you get beyond the basic entries ("George Bush": "A raging idiot"/"Christ reborn", "Hillary Clinton": "A lying ***"/"Savior of mankind", etc.) a partisan encyclopedic project pretty much loses its momentum.

Edit: DU is a dotcom, not a dotorg.

quote:
the Earth is not a closed system
Wait, what? What is this "sun"? Doesn't all our energy come from oil (you pinko)? :P

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 03:12: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

My parents rant about China taking over the global economy and Turkey joining the EU and daycares getting more public spending, but they still believe Bush is a moron. :P
They consider him inefficient, not evil. :P
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
I'm rather fond of their number 5 reason that Wikipedia has bias: it doesn't take Conservapedia as seriously as Conservapedia would like. *huffy*

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Or, in the words of Stephen Colbert, reality has a well-known liberal bias.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #9
Neither Demopedia nor Conservopedia have articles on heavy metal. They both suck.

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 08:13: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
Because of some strange coincidence, one of my teacher told me about it just yesterday. Maybe you are my teacher? Are you male? Do you come from Holland and do you teach on a school calld the "Stedelijk Gymnasium leiden"? If so, you have a very good chance of being meneer Robbers.

EDIT: Typo; Thanks Nioca :P

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 09:22: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Because of some strange coincidence, one of my teacher TOLLED me about it just yesterday.
That is one weird school, Thralni. :P

I think you meant told. Tolled indicates that your teacher was making you pay a fee.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

Neither Demopedia nor Conservopedia have articles on heavy metal. They both suck.
But Conservapedia has less criticism of your foreign policy, so they suck less. :P

(In my defense, this topic was about politics before I came in.)

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
I find it hard to believe that Demopedia articles would ever get published. How do they agree on anything?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #14
quote:

quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

But Conservapedia has less criticism of your foreign policy, so they suck less. :P

(In my defense, this topic was about politics before I came in.)

If anything, the complete unquestioning beleif in the infallibilty of Christianity, oftentimes asinine, lowers them below the level of Demopedia.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Demopedia doesn't need to exist because Wikipedia obviously has them covered. Well, maybe. Democrats aren't all godless ultra-liberal pinko hippy treehuggers like Wikipedians.

—Alorael, who now has two serious questions, one for a creationist and one for a proponent of intelligent design. Perhaps he should head over to the appropriate Conservapedia talk pages. It can at least be a test of how civil the internet wing of the Christian right can be to a questioning liberal.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
Oddly enough, I just read an article on this in my university's paper. (This from the same paper that states that striptease empowers women, so I didn't really know what to think. Thank goodness for SpidWeb, where no such left/right schisms exist!) It's inevitable that this sort of thing is going to start happening more often: either Wikipedia portrays every viewpoint in every article (some believe this, some believe that => weasel words :P ), or it simply becomes the encyclopaedia for those who can edit the fastest and loudest. Again, thank goodness it isn't like this already.

--------------------
That which hits the fan tends to get flung in all directions.
- Larry Wall
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #17
I'm curious to see what their basis for crediting Christianity with the Renaissance is.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Oh, I almost forgot. There is an amazing irony in a Wiki being used to promote creationism on the basis that evolution lowers entropy (much like a self-organizing system like, say, a Wiki) and thus violates thermodynamics.

Of course, we all know that Wikipedia is not a closed system either, but is fueled by the sweat of countless Wikipedians.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
quote:

fueled by the sweat of countless Wikipedians.
Yet another reason to avoid wikipedia.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Airborne Raver:

Demopedia doesn't need to exist because Wikipedia obviously has them covered. Well, maybe. Democrats aren't all godless ultra-liberal pinko hippy treehuggers like Wikipedians.
With all due respect, you don't seem to know Wikipedians very well. There's a reason Ayn Rand's article is one of the longest on the site.

quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

I'm curious to see what their basis for crediting Christianity with the Renaissance is.
Actually, there's a case to be made for this. The popular image of the church as attempting to suppress all science isn't really accurate; it's done so for some viewpoints some of the time, but throughout the mediaeval era it was basically the only institution with any interest in accumulating knowledge about the natural world, even if it didn't place a high priority on it and did it primarily to have another source of rhetorical ammunition.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

quote:
Originally written by Airborne Raver:

With all due respect, you don't seem to know Wikipedians very well. There's a reason Ayn Rand's article is one of the longest on the site.

Hey, if Conservapedia says so it must be true, right?

—Alorael, who is going to start an article on the links between miscegenation and being smitten by God now.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

Oh, I almost forgot. There is an amazing irony in a Wiki being used to promote creationism on the basis that evolution lowers entropy (much like a self-organizing system like, say, a Wiki) and thus violates thermodynamics.

Of course, we all know that Wikipedia is not a closed system either, but is fueled by the sweat of countless Wikipedians.

Not trying to start another ID/Creation/Evolution debate, but this isn't a fair comparison. The Wiki is being created through the input of outside "intelligence". I know, the word is a stretch in this context, but the contributors do have a better ability to construct sentences and edit wiki pages than, say, a beam of sunlight. This is actually a reasonably good analog of how ID proponents tend to believe the universe came to be (but only polytheistic evolutionistic IDers, if you want to be strict about it :P ).

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
The Conservapedia article on global warming would be more impressive if the source notes actually linked to something. :rolleyes:

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Added link.

[ Thursday, March 08, 2007 18:53: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Wow.

quote:
Conservapedia says:[b]
It should be noted that these scientists are motivated by a need for grant money in their field of climatology. Therefore, their work can not be considered unbiased, though no more than any scientist in any other field.
[/b]

Well, there goes science. We should trust only the opinions of those are unqualified! They don't have any preconceived ideas, either.

quote:
Also, these scientists are mostly liberal athiests, untroubled by the hubris that man can destroy the Earth which God gave him.
Global warming is a form of man destroying, or at least seriously mucking up, the Earth that God gave him.

—Alorael, who needn't go around debunking stupidity. He does have a problem with premise 3, though, because it's a common argument against global warming that really makes no sense. Why the Earth is heating up isn't really important; it's catastrophic even if it's just bad luck. Fixing it is rather important.

Pages