Conservapedia

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Conservapedia
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
Well, understanding why Earth is heating up is quite important indeed if we want to know how to fix it. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Fi5e:

Well, there goes science. We should trust only the opinions of those are unqualified! They don't have any preconceived ideas, either.
Of course! The only way to be completely unbiased is to be wholly ignorant of the subject. IMAGE(http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blindfold.gif)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #27
Wikipedia is now going to require proof of academic credentials after finding out that a prolific poster who claimed to be a thelogical professor was a 24 year college dropout.

The advantage of anonymity is being able to claim vast amounts of knowledge.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

The Conservapedia article on global warming would be more impressive if the source notes actually linked to something. :rolleyes:
Ah, but the source notes do link to something. Each one links to the source note before it. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Wikipedia is now going to require proof of academic credentials after finding out that a prolific poster who claimed to be a thelogical professor was a 24 year college dropout.

The advantage of anonymity is being able to claim vast amounts of knowledge.

The amazing thing is that he apparently kept up the ruse for a very long time.

Now, I know it would be extremely easy to pass oneself off as a professor by using Wikipedia. A few articles on psychiatry, and bang! I'm Sigmund Freud!

But passing oneself off as an expert to other Wikipedians? That takes some doing. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
What I'm wondering is why he bothered, given Wikipedia's well-known disdain for expertise.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #31
Become an instant academic on Wikipedia. It sure beats the grind of getting a decree.

Besides everyone is more likely to believe you if you can claim importance.

Sort of related -

I saw a bumper sticker today - Intelligent Design or Random Mutation with a picture of George W. Bush on it.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
Well, it is said you should never blame malicious intent for what could be explained by incompetence - but really, I think whatever designed him did so intelligently and malevolently.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

Well, it is said you should never blame malicious intent for what could be explained by incompetence - but really, I think whatever designed him did so intelligently and malevolently.
Aww! How could you stay mad at a face like this?

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Barbara_Bush.jpg)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
Behind that grandmotherly face lies a cold calculating nasty mind and a heart of dry ice. Just remember what she called Geraldine Ferraro during the election and how she treated her daughter-in-law after her son Neil cheated on his wife. She taught George W, everything he knows about being a vicious bully.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #35
Oh, search for "evolution". Alorael, can we hire you to snipe on other websites?

What a horribly idiotic thing. It was designed by people who disbelieved in evolution so much that it didn't work for them.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #36
Conservapedia is not the worst thing in the world, and there are numerous other things or people I would rather eliminate in order to stem religious fundamentalism before I would even consider this website. Though I definitely think Conservapedia is exaggerating with the statement that Wikipedia is "six times" more liberal than the average American, Wikipedia is generally home to very liberal thinkers.

However, I do not particularly like it, either. It does take a confrontational and discriminatory stance toward, well, everybody who is not a Christian literal interpretor. It is funny that most people take it as a joke, too.

Is it just me, or does this Wikipedia article about Conservapedia reflect considerable bias?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Is it just me, or does this Wikipedia article about Conservapedia reflect considerable bias?
I think it's mostly just you. Some bias, perhaps, but inevitably so.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #38
Originally by Garrison:

quote:
It feels more incomplete than anything else. Some of the ideas could be explained more thoroughly. (And wouldn't having comparing articles from the two sources be interesting? Probably impractical, but still interesting.)

This is also the first time Dikiyoba realized how hard it is to pick out individual paragraphs in Wikipedia articles with numerous sources.

Pages